User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spellbound
(newbie) Tue 22-Apr-14 18:04:08
Print Post

Xilo Speed vs COMS

[link to this post]

As many others have noted the service since COMS bought out ADSL24 has been very poor.

I've been looking at Xilo but their availability checker says I will get 12mb, whereas we currently get 16mb.

Does anyone have experience of moving from COMS to Xilo and can confirm they retained their sync speed?
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 22-Apr-14 18:43:06
Print Post

Re: Xilo Speed vs COMS

[re: spellbound] [link to this post]

The speed checker is based on what Openreach(BT) suggest is possible for your line. It tends to err on the side of caution - quite rightly so.

If you are currently getting 16MB then there is no real reason you shouldn't get that with another supplier.

However, I would take a snapshot of your current modem settings especially the SNR in case they have been tweaked a little, then any problems just refer to them for your new supplier.

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User spellbound
(newbie) Tue 22-Apr-14 19:35:34
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

What is a good SNR?

This is what we currently get:

ADSL Link.......................Downstream............Upstream
Connection Speed...........15405 kbps..............1022 kbps
Line Attenuation..............29.5 db..................15.4 db
Noise Margin...................5.7 db....................9.2 db

The 15405 is a bit lower than we usually get as there have been some issues with the connection recently.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 22-Apr-14 19:58:20
Print Post

5.7 is a good SNr (on average), but hopefully one or two others will chime in and give you a bit more detail

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User Lambrettaday
(newbie) Tue 22-Apr-14 21:47:51
Print Post

I moved very quickly from Coms and went to Xilo. I signed up to their Pro (LLU - TTB) package and my speed has gone up from 10mb to 15.8 with a download speed of 1023. I'm well pleased. Don't worry about signing up with Xilo but pick the package that suits you.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 23:08:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by spellbound:
What is a good SNR?

In general terms, the lower the better. 6dB is considered good and standard. However, if you have a line that is hitting its max speed and the SNRM is higher, that is a 'Good Thing ®'. It means you have a very good line and could go faster.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User charmingcharlie
(regular) Wed 23-Apr-14 01:03:21
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Wow I was just about to call it a night when I lost my internet connection. My first reaction was "oh god coms.com down again". So I checked my router and it found a net connection and asked me for my login details which I thought was odd. Anyway put my Xilo details in and bang my net was back up and running again (today is my change over day but didn't expect it to happen just after midnight).

Just did a quick speedtest and things are slightly slower than normal. I usually get about 36Mpbs with coms.com (not counting their throttling rubbish) at the moment I am only getting 32Mbps down. My upload speed seems a bit slower too only getting 1.8Mbps right now on Xilo whereas with coms.com I could get about 3.6Mbps.

Overall I am not too concerned about the slower speeds at the moment the connection has just been made and I imagine over time things will settle down. Right now I am just glad to finally be off coms.com god awful network.
Standard User spellbound
(newbie) Wed 23-Apr-14 16:50:51
Print Post

Thinking of jumping from ADSL to Fibre but a bit concerned re the use of sockets, our master socket is in the lounge and we have 2x sockets upstairs, one in a bedroom the other in my "office".

The office socket has the router on it and is connected to a main PC via ethernet that works as a media server / central backup for all other devices.

If we were to go for fibre I don't know how the connections would be made.

Main concern is that currently all wires are hidden in the walls (newish property) so don't want trunking all over the place.

Can anyone give feedback if they have had fibre installed and they are using a socket away from the master one.

Many thanks
Standard User david1970
(newbie) Wed 23-Apr-14 17:02:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by spellbound:
Thinking of jumping from ADSL to Fibre but a bit concerned re the use of sockets, our master socket is in the lounge and we have 2x sockets upstairs, one in a bedroom the other in my "office".

The office socket has the router on it and is connected to a main PC via ethernet that works as a media server / central backup for all other devices.

If we were to go for fibre I don't know how the connections would be made.

Main concern is that currently all wires are hidden in the walls (newish property) so don't want trunking all over the place.

Can anyone give feedback if they have had fibre installed and they are using a socket away from the master one.

Many thanks

If you can stand the thought of black wires running around the house, you can get BT to move the master without touching the internal wiring (too much), plus they will need to drill a new hole in your wall.
Standard User spellbound
(newbie) Fri 25-Apr-14 13:48:57
Print Post

[re: david1970] [link to this post]

Just requested my MAC code but think we'll stick with standard broadband for the time being.
  Print Thread

Jump to