User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Molehusband
(regular) Thu 24-Apr-14 19:21:32
Print Post

MPF Migration: Coms to Xilo (both TTB)

[link to this post]

Xilo yesterday asked if would like to be a guinea pig for an MPF migration from Coms, to which I agreed. I'll update this thread with developments.

Both the Coms (Complete DSL) and Xilo (Talk and Surf) packages are with TTB.

Today, Xilo informed me that the migration has been approved and a date set: May 9th, and have issued the router login details.

I sent Coms a ticket giving 30 days notice of termination. The following response was received within two hours:

"Thank you for providing us your migration date, we will update our systems to reflect this. As per the 30 day notice, billing will end Friday 23rd May. In terms of charges applicable, you will be the April invoice as normal and then on a pro-rata basis from 1st May - 23rd May. Coms will provide you an uninterrupted service as normal until the day you migrate away."

As billing for the service has always been for a month in advance (which ADSL24 clearly stated on their invoices, though Coms do not), I'm assuming the "pro rata" charges relate solely to any phone calls made in excess of the 100 minutes included in my package. Have sent another ticket seeking confirmation of this.

So, apart from the Coms billing query, everything seems reasonably clear so far.

There have been no charges for migration.

Stats for future comparison.

These figures have remained stable with Coms (though I had to request the SNR be lowered).

SpeedTest.net
Ping: 32ms
Down: 14.63 Mbps
Up: 0.87mbps

Router
DownStream: 17234 kbps
UpStream: 1020 kbps
Line att. Down: 19db
Line att. Up: 4 db
SNR Down: 6 db
SNR Up: 8 db

ADSL24/Coms Complete DSL 100 [TTB LLU] (for how much longer...)

Edited by Molehusband (Thu 24-Apr-14 19:28:30)

Standard User DrBC
(learned) Thu 24-Apr-14 20:16:32
Print Post

Re: MPF Migration: Coms to Xilo (both TTB)

[re: Molehusband] [link to this post]

Very interested in how this turns out as I'm another Coms victim on MFP. So I'm going to have to move in the near future, possibly to Xilo even though so far my contact with the sales team regarding packages has been rather unfruitful.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Thu 24-Apr-14 20:26:42
Print Post

Re: MPF Migration: Coms to Xilo (both TTB) *DELETED*

[re: DrBC] [link to this post]

Post deleted by ukwoody

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Frink
(member) Fri 25-Apr-14 13:34:03
Print Post

Re: MPF Migration: Coms to Xilo (both TTB) *DELETED*

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Thanks for starting this Molehusband. I shall be following this with great interest smile
(regular) Sat 03-May-14 21:42:43
Print Post

After 9 days, still no reply from Coms to my query about billing over the migration period. From what others have reported here, it seems they'll issue a refund of my advance payment for May from the date if the transfer to Xilo to the end of the month.

So far, I'm impressed with the speed and quality of Xilo's support.

ADSL24/Coms Complete DSL 100 [TTB LLU] (migrating to Xilo)
(regular) Sat 10-May-14 01:01:25
Print Post

Despite being able to login with my Xilo details for a few days now, I stayed logged into Coms to see what would happen on changeover day.

The connection died at around 11:30pm Friday and the router resynced with what appears to be the default TTB SNR reset of 12db down and up, with the expected drop in connection speed: 11992 kbps down/923 kbps up.

My Xilo account still reports the product status as "Pending" and the line as inactive. I'll see how it looks in the morning and contact support if the SNR is still at 12db.

Testing Xilo before the resync, performance was exactly what I'd come to expect from ADSL24, so I'm optimistic.

Phone-wise, 1571 voicemail stopped working early in the day, presumably due to Coms. The line went dead for a few minutes around the time of the resync and, on returning, the voicemail was back but 1471 now gives a "Sorry, you're not subscribed to this service" message. I thought 1471 was provided with Xilo's Talk & Surf, but cannot find anywhere in my account that lists subscribed phone services.

Xilo Talk & Surf [TTB LLU/MPF]
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-May-14 01:08:30
Print Post

It will likely happen Monday if your "activation" date was today. Get in touch about the profile/VM though as they won't change manually.

Someone at TTB has to do the final bit of the work manually i'm afraid.

Edit: I am currently -5 and it's not 23:59 here yet wink

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Sat 10-May-14 01:09:28)

(regular) Sun 11-May-14 10:39:24
Print Post

My SNR is now back to where it was with Coms (upstream a little lower), so here are the results of a speedtest and my router stats after a daytime reboot. Same equipment and Speedtest server as the original Coms results, which are shown in [brackets].

SpeedTest.net
Ping: 13ms [32ms]
Down: 13.75 Mbps [14.63 Mbps]
Up: 0.86mbps [0.87mbps]

Router
DownStream: 15880kbps [17234 kbps]
UpStream: 1015kbps [1020 kbps]
Line att. Down: 19db [19db]
Line att. Up: 4db [4 db]
SNR Down: 6db [6 db]
SNR Up: 7db [8 db]

I've not yet heard from Xilo re the lack of 1471 on the phone.

Xilo Talk & Surf [TTB LLU/MPF]

Edited by Molehusband (Sun 11-May-14 10:42:36)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 11-May-14 10:58:39
Print Post

You're syncing too low with a ds attenuation of 19db. You should be getting around 20mb @6db SNR. Time to check your wiring, plugging router into test socket, changing router, filters etc.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps