User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DG834MAN
(regular) Sat 05-Jul-14 00:07:32
Print Post

Coms email and web hosting discontinued

[link to this post]

Dear Customer,

I am writing to provide you with 30 daysí notice of our intention to vary the terms and conditions of your contract with Coms Ltd, specifically in relation to the provision of services.

After careful consideration we have decided that on the 31st September 2014 we will be terminating our email and web hosted services. Our decision has been based on the ongoing viability of providing these services, which is unsustainable.

All of our broadband and telephone line connections and associated packages will remain unchanged. I understand that this decision could have a negative impact for some of our customers and I would like to apologise in advance for the inconvenience this may cause.
Please ensure that you migrate your email and web hosted services prior to the 31st September 2014 as our supply of these services will cease on this date.

We are here to help should you need anything further in relation to this or any other matter, please either email our customer service team, or telephone the customer services department on 0330 300 9000.

Yours sincerely,

Steven Shears
Head of Customer Services

My biggest fear of changing ips is changing all my email address
Standard User Dredgriffon
(member) Sat 05-Jul-14 00:53:10
Print Post

Re: Coms email and web hosting discontinued

[re: DG834MAN] [link to this post]

Sigh, the reason i don't jump ship and run even from a poor isp is the hassle of changing my email address. So if there's no email then there's nothing stopping me from moving on. Absolutely brilliant decision there COMS.
Oh and one more thing. Bye Bye.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jul-14 01:09:35
Print Post

You can have your own domain and web/email hosting up and running within an hour of signing up. Then you read on new and existing, but only send from new. You can even have one of the new .uk TLD domains!

Tell all your contacts, change all shop etc. accounts, and you are not having to panic and screw up. By the end of September you should have picked up any contacts/ accounts you missed.

See this page on my website. That has a link to Tsohost that I recommend. It isn't the cheapest, but reliable and superb CS if you have issues.

If you like to check the IP addresses of visitors to your website, do not take the Cloud Hosting. For some reason the stats on that don't show it. On the cPanel Hosting they do. I have one on Cloud and several on cPanel. Always take domains for 2 years - much cheaper than 1 year.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jul-14 07:10:31
Print Post

the letter said

After careful consideration we have decided that on the 31st September 2014

There ain't no such date !!

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.9 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Standard User zom22
(member) Sat 05-Jul-14 07:21:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sadly telling your contacts to change your email address in their address books will have totally zero effect on a considerable portion of them
I know - I've tried....it's like trying to explain to a 2 year old.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Jul-14 08:00:44
Print Post

Whats more of a worry is how coms are slowly bringing changes in that effect users. They said nothing would change after the switch from ADSL24 then traffic management came in. Then they changed their contact phone numbers which instead of a 24hr line is now 8-8pm (although i did ring them once at 8:30 and got an answer) and now its removing web/email.

What next? Price? Static IP? Usage?

Maybe not many customers rang them during the early hours so no worth having a 24/7 line, and maybe not many use email/web hosting i dunno, but its abit concerning
Standard User Kimi
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Jul-14 08:36:08
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
the letter said

After careful consideration we have decided that on the 31st September 2014

There ain't no such date !!

Well spotted i missed that. smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jul-14 09:50:40
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

Maybe that's another change they are making.

Yet another demonstration of incompetence?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jul-14 09:57:44
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

That's why I advise doing it the way I say. Bear in mind that by telling them using the new address and asking for a reply, (and setting your email client to request an acknowledgement if not using webmail). A reply from them using the Reply button will add it to their address book.

The poster has to change email address!

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 05-Jul-14 09:58:31)

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sat 05-Jul-14 13:28:35
Print Post

Well spotted on the wrong date, haha!

They really know how to pee people off don't they. It must pee off one or two of their other existing customers I would have thought too. Mind you, is it because they have lost so many people from their services it is no longer cost effective???

I have said for many years, get your email separate from your ISP for just such reasons, mine is with my web hosting company, but I know a lot of others pay a small fee with a paid service for their email so it is totally independant.

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to