User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Aug-14 08:12:18
Print Post

Thanks Vivaciti (Not)

[link to this post]

Oh look yet another resync happened yesterday evening so right now its a daily occurrence. sometimes more than one, its one of the reasons why I left Enta and BTw for Daisy LLU in the first place, I figured LLU couldnt be any worse and to my delight it turned out to be far more stable, ADSL2 was the main attraction but I figured a complete change at the exchnage might help. BT Openjoke are not interested in the issue except for trying to charge £130 for them doing "some work at the cabinet".

So No point in raising a ticket - I am sick of raising tickets because frankly most ISPs are uninterested or inept when it comes to dealing with issues that Openjoke are incapable or uninterested in nailing down, and sadly, on my modest income - and with my usage level a decent ISP such as AAISP - with a reputation for actually getting some action from Openjoke - is beyond my reach. Apart from anything else I cant afford to take half days off to sit here and wait for engineers who will probably show up right at the end of the "window", check the line and announce that no fault can be found. It seems the fact that the line keeps re-syncing is not a clue to them, and Openjoke's guys seem to have no details of when/why the line kicks off like this - does no one log data anywhere on the network?

I just LOVE this improved service that Vivaciti have secured for me (we really need a "banging my head against a wall" emoticon on this forum - with the way things are run by Openjoke and some ISP's, it would get a LOT of use)

Paying out to Xilo for a short time isn't really an option with fibre due anytime - or sometime in the distance - its hard to get a straight answer from Superfarce Cymru, so I just wanted to publicly thank Vivaciti for the shambles that *my* service has become - from the failure to tell me that it was changing Despite the fact that in the early days after they said they were moving some customers I actually called them to verify what the position was with my service and was told clearly it DIDN'T affect me. - a point that I notice chose not to address in the "dismissive" response I had from them via this forum - As one of my former employees taught us on induction - "Bad information is worse than no information".

I wont be sorry to leave - as I have said before, from a consumer point of view - UK Broadband is a very poor joke

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI - Enta. Not very impressed with the "Improvement"
SWPM PCP29 - A terrible Line on a poor cabinet, still waiting for Fibre.... no wonder people call them OPENJOKE.
My Broadband Ping

Edited by warweezil (Thu 14-Aug-14 08:17:52)

Standard User rarrar
(member) Thu 14-Aug-14 08:42:25
Print Post

Re: Thanks Vivaciti (Not)

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

But aren't resyncs down to the BTw connection between subscriber and exchange and little the ISP can do about it ?
Realise that a LLU connection may improve things and Vivaciti's move away from a LLU connection to a BTW one is what has annoyed a lot of people.

I was moved - without actually being informed the new login details meant I was moving from Opal LLU to BTw.
But very stable connection - better than LLU - now 300 hours without a sync and a Noise Margin of <3dB.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Aug-14 08:54:28
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

Lucky for you then.

My Line never performed well on BTw, previous ISP's made the token reports to Openjoke and then said "nothing more we can do", Moving to LLU helped.. until Vivaciti dropped Daisy, like you I had no information that my connection was being moved - despite Vivaciti asserting that they emailed everyone - I dont believe that was the case - and when I actually called them to ask (after reading about it on this forum) I was told "No - it doesn't affect your line". I only found out when I came home to find a router log full of "failure to authenticate" messages. A very poorly handed situation throughout in my view, and a failure which apparently Vivaciti refuse to acknowledge.

Poor customer service seems to be the hallmark of UK ISP's.

VIVACITI - Now back with Enta - Improving steadily BACKWARDS
SWPM PCP29 - A terrible Line on a poor cabinet, still waiting for Superfarce Cymru to our upgrade to Fibre done.... 10+ years of instability and mystery resyncs - no wonder people call them OPENJOKE.
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:05:26
Print Post

Well Openreach don't run or configure the BT Wholesale DSLAM so if line was stable on a LLU operator and is NOT on BTWholesale then its a DSLAM/Modem interoperability issue and little to do with Openreach.

Failed to authenticate may also be that the BT Wholesale proxy login server is not getting a timely response from the ones the ISP runs and thus times out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Aug-14 18:32:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure the issue is in the local loop. it has been there throughout my time on broadband, with my original PCI modem, the 585v6, HGV2700 a HGV2701,and with the Fritzbox. It was there with Pipex and with Enta on IPSC, although the line still resynced on Daisy LLU it was nowhere near as often. Even on dial up there were issues with this line and at one stage the gain was tweaked on the line which helped although I cant recall what the exact issue was back then.

The issue with the loss of service was simply down to the fact that my Daisy log in no longer worked because I was no longer on daisy, so when they switched suppliers to Enta/BTw and my router tried to reconnect once I was shifted to BTw the router had the wrong log in credentials.

Since the switch - well the speed has settled down I haven't seen a 5 meg speedtest for a couple of weeks now, but the almost daily resyncs drive me mad

SWPM PCP29 - A terrible Line on a poor cabinet, still waiting for Superfarce Cymru to our upgrade to Fibre done.... 10+ years of instability and mystery resyncs - no wonder people call them OPENJOKE.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Aug-14 18:38:42
Print Post

If it's between you and the cabinet then it will be worse on FTTC, unless it is the current connection within the cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Aug-14 21:04:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If it's between you and the cabinet then it will be worse on FTTC, unless it is the current connection within the cabinet.
That is what I am banking on. If it manifests itself once I eventually get fibre I can really go to town about it, because this has gone on far too long. Ive had several engineer visits and many denials from Openjoke that there is anything wrong with my service. if the move to fibre helps to pin this down to the exact area I have long suspected (which was dismissed by engineers) I will have some ammunition in my quest to get a proper repair done.

I seem to recall that the connection in the cabinet was moved a few years ago, that was before the D side was also swapped out. I think they also moved the connection on a card in the exchange (?) Of course the move to LLU meant another change in the exchange which also didn't completely cure the issue but it certainly was better than it is currently. Oh and in relation to all the electrical storms today - they completely missed our area we had a briefQ shower and that was it - bright sunshine throughout smile

Im trying to put Ubuntu on my sisters laptop tonight and half way through My iMac indicated that IM was off line and checking the Fritz Panel I found.....

14.08.14 20:32:27 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: xx.xx.xxx.x, DNS server: xxx.xx.xxx.xx and xxx.xx.xxx.xx, Gateway: xxx.xx.x.xx
14.08.14 20:32:22 DSL is available (DSL synchronization exists with 8311/975 kbit/s).
14.08.14 20:31:35 Internet connection cleared.
14.08.14 20:31:35 Timeout during PPP negotiation.
14.08.14 20:31:35 Internet connection cleared.
14.08.14 20:31:33 DSL not responding (no DSL synchronization).

Thats after the earlier 2 instances

14.08.14 04:39:15 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: xx.xx.xxx.x DNS server: xxx.xx.xxx.xx and xxx.xx.xxx.xx, Gateway: xxx.xx.x.xx
14.08.14 04:39:09 DSL is available (DSL synchronization exists with 7736/959 kbit/s).
14.08.14 04:38:22 Internet connection cleared.
14.08.14 04:38:22 Timeout during PPP negotiation.
14.08.14 04:38:22 Internet connection cleared.
14.08.14 04:38:21 DSL not responding (no DSL synchronization).
14.08.14 02:31:30 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: xx.xx.xxx.x DNS server: xxx.xx.xxx.xx and xxx.xx.xxx.xx, Gateway: xxx.xx.x.xx
14.08.14 02:31:25 DSL is available (DSL synchronization exists with 7736/939 kbit/s).
14.08.14 02:30:38 Internet connection cleared.
14.08.14 02:30:38 Timeout during PPP negotiation.
14.08.14 02:30:38 Internet connection cleared.
14.08.14 02:30:37 DSL not responding (no DSL synchronization).

You can see the overnight drops didn't see a change in Sync rate., the evenings one did.

I don't think my anger is unreasonable. This has been going on for years - but the latest move has certainly aggravated the situation. Current snr is 6db up and down.

SWPM PCP29 - A terrible Line on a poor cabinet, still waiting for Superfarce Cymru to get our upgrade to Fibre done.... 10+ years of instability and mystery resyncs - no wonder people call them OPENJOKE.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Aug-14 21:45:53
Print Post

And again... thats another system update screwed up

14.08.14 21:38:16 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: xx.xx.xxx.x, DNS server: xxx.xx.xxx.xx and xxx.xx.xxx.xx, Gateway: xxx.xx.x.xx
14.08.14 21:38:13 DSL is available (DSL synchronization exists with 7864/947 kbit/s).
14.08.14 21:37:26 Internet connection cleared.
14.08.14 21:37:26 Timeout during PPP negotiation.
14.08.14 21:37:26 Internet connection cleared.
14.08.14 21:37:24 DSL not responding (no DSL synchronization).

Drop in sync rate this time after the climb to above 8 megs - snr still @ 6db, but the line attenuation has dropped from 40 to 39db?

SWPM PCP29 - A terrible Line on a poor cabinet, still waiting for Superfarce Cymru to get our upgrade to Fibre done.... 10+ years of instability and mystery resyncs - no wonder people call them OPENJOKE.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Aug-14 07:13:26
Print Post

......And again @ 23.09.

So thats 5 in 24 hours.

Always on connection? More like always on the brink of dropping.

As far as I am aware the only constant is the copper 'twixt the pole and PCP29. Of course there is the possibility that they connected me to a dodgy port at the exchange, thus amplifying the existing issue, given the apparent lack of willingness to do anything that involves spending money on mainainance to provide a decent level of service - I wouldn't be surprised if BT were leaving bad kit in place and waiting for complaints.

It really is a bad joke.

My Broadband Ping

Edited by warweezil (Fri 15-Aug-14 07:18:57)

Print Thread

Jump to