User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SimpleSimon1
(newbie) Sun 05-Oct-14 12:18:12
Print Post

Coms “Cease Fee” When Terminating Service

[link to this post]

Morning everyone, we’re about to move house and [as a long-term ADSl24 user] we can finally escape from Coms (hurrah!). Our new build house hasn’t yet got phone etc sorted out so we were planning to tell Coms to simply terminate our service and we’ll sort out a new lines and provider when we get into our new place.

However, I just noticed in Coms broadband T&C’s, the following:

4.2 Cancellation requires thirty days’ notice for all Services. This is in addition to the Minimum Term. On all Broadband Services the Customer will be charged the current cease fee upon ceasing the Service, but this is not applicable if the Customer migrates away to another provider using a MAC providing the new provider follows the correct migration path.

There doesn’t appear to be any mention of this fee anywhere else on their [rubbish] web site and I certainly don't recall anything being said about it when they took over ADSL24. So before I try to get some straight answers from them, does anyone know what this is about and how much the fee might be?

Thanks, in anticipation
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Sun 05-Oct-14 14:21:35
Print Post

Re: Coms “Cease Fee” When Terminating Service

[re: SimpleSimon1] [link to this post]

Back in March, I was told £29.90 although they planned to waive this.

My Dad was on Coms and after looking through his tickets (I can still log in!), there's no mention of the cease fee at all or him being charged it.

Both of us were on Coms Complete.

Ben
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Oct-14 15:23:10
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

It doesn't arise on migration, only on a complete cease of broadband service. It originates from an Openreach charge to the CP. It is charged to the end user by most, if not all, ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 05-Oct-14 15:24:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Sun 05-Oct-14 15:27:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cutting a long story short, this was for a cease rather than migration.

Ben
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Oct-14 21:14:37
Print Post

Most, if not all, ISPs pass this charge on from BT OR. It is a standard condition. It is very unlikely that ADSL24/Coms never had this term in their T&Cs, even if you never saw it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 05-Oct-14 21:16:16)

Standard User SimpleSimon1
(learned) Mon 06-Oct-14 10:17:28
Print Post

Ah, the joy of dealing with a monolithic monopoly smile

Anyway, thanks to all for the heads-up..guess, I'll just have to pay up with a smile (or similar...at least I'm getting away from Coms)
Standard User marvinmartian
(newbie) Thu 15-Jan-15 13:20:42
Print Post

Just to pick up on this thread - I'm finally able to move over to a FTTP provider and ditch Coms. Since I don't need the MAC, is this also likely to be seen as a "termination"?

Cheers
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Jan-15 13:35:23
Print Post

[re: marvinmartian] [link to this post]

As long as your new provider handles it correctly, no. It will be classed as a migration.

That doesn't mean to say Coms won't try to charge you frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User marvinmartian
(newbie) Thu 15-Jan-15 14:20:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's a relief. What does the new provider have to actually do - since the new service is already up and running...? Is it just a passing the baton type thing?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Jan-15 16:20:01
Print Post

[re: marvinmartian] [link to this post]

I don't know, sorry. Only how the MAC system works and that if a move from Full LLU does not require a MAC. From the fact you didn't need a MAC I assumed it was full LLU before.

However even not on LLU I doubt if it is needed if the line rental is also moved. Was it with Coms before?

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to