User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrDeeJay
(regular) Mon 01-Dec-14 14:43:43
Print Post

Xilo Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Anyone on Xilo Fibre?

How much are you paying for your service? I am unsure what do do as they have peak limits on their fibre products and unlimited off peak.

I see Zen and Aquiss are doing unlimited the latter doing free install.

What is the best independant reseller to go with for fibre?

I can't find many small ISPs these days.

Thanks in advance.

O2 Broadband

1,291 Up 9,625 Down
Standard User charmingcharlie
(regular) Tue 02-Dec-14 15:40:47
Print Post

Re: Xilo Fibre

[re: MrDeeJay] [link to this post]

I switched to Xilo after Coms.com decided to [censored] all over existing ADSL24 customers. I can honestly say I couldn't be happier I get the same quality of service I used to get with ADSL24 and it is a couple of quid cheaper.

I signed up for Xilo's Fibre 30 connection which works out at £25.99 a month and been with them now for about 8 months (time flies when you are having fun). Not really got a bad thing to say about them. The service is pretty rock solid, there was a major outage a couple of months ago but Xilo got it sorted and compensated users affected by it.

The 30gb peak time limit doesn't cause me problems. If I remember correctly the off peak hours are from 8pm to 8am so all I do is schedule my steam client to download any patches or new purchased games after 8pm. IT is also worth remembering that weekends are off peak too from 8pm Friday to 8am Monday. Speeds seem to be about similar to what I was getting before which is 40mb down and 4mb up. I could probably get slightly faster speeds if I changed some settings but honestly I can't be bothered the current speeds are more than enough for me.

All in all I am very happy with them and they are such a breath of fresh air after coms.com It's no frills Xilo do their job which is providing a decent internet service. The one minor thing I can think is that you get no email service with Xilo unless you pay extra but that isn't a problem with me since I prefer to use googlemail anyway.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Dec-14 16:16:54
Print Post

[re: charmingcharlie] [link to this post]

A web hosting/email service is provided free to all broadband users - there is no cost for this.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrDeeJay
(regular) Tue 02-Dec-14 17:40:46
Print Post

Thanks Charlie,

You have given me much more info than Xilo themselfs.

What were the setup costs?

Liberty Surf, freeserve, Wonadoo, Freedom2Surf, BT Broadband, O2 Broadband, Xilo
Standard User tkimber
(newbie) Tue 02-Dec-14 18:44:43
Print Post

Hi,

I switched to Xilo Fibre in October when my exchange was enabled. Like Charlie I've had no problems with them, I've got a stable and fast connection. Setup was £80+VAT but I was switching ISPs and moving from partial LLU ADSL to Fibre which is probably the most expensive migration.

I found the Xilo website quite informative about the costs, except for the fee which was added at the checkout.

Tim
Standard User MrDeeJay
(regular) Tue 02-Dec-14 19:29:23
Print Post

[re: tkimber] [link to this post]

Cheers Tim,

I am on ADSL2+ LLU also.

Just Xilo won't give me this info as I'm a current customer.

I have a ticket that's still waiting for a reply since 1140ish yesterday morning and I called their sales today - we will call you back.....I'm still waiting.

I don't want to give them bad publicity - their service is good even through TTB having issues etc.

However I think it may be time to consider ISP - they take their time.

Liberty Surf, freeserve, Wonadoo, Freedom2Surf, BT Broadband, O2 Broadband, Xilo
Standard User charmingcharlie
(regular) Tue 02-Dec-14 21:37:15
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Hm didn't know this and been with you guys for 8 months. I have had a look around your site and I can see the webspace stuff but I honestly have no idea how to access xilo email. Whilst I use google primarily these days it would be nice to have a "backup" email address.

As for start up costs for me it was relatively inexpensive since I am on BT's network and already had Fibre with ADSL24. I think I just had to pay an £11 BT migration fee along with my first month upfront.
Standard User tonytiger07
(regular) Wed 03-Dec-14 13:13:38
Print Post

I'm with Aquiss on 80/20 FTTC unlimited and I'm very happy with them - moved from Coms ADSL.
They're not cheap of course - I pay £40 a month. But I did take into account the free install and a 12 month contract rather than 18 with the mainstream suppliers.
They use Entanet which I know puts a lot of people off - but I've generally found it to be okay, sometimes my BQM (see my sig) shows a short outage between 2 and 4am (though I'm never online at that time so don't know if there's a total outage or not).

Martin at Aquiss is very helpful - though I've only had need to contact him a few times - asking questions prior to signing up, and complaining about the engineer who did my install - and subsequently I was amazed to get a call from an openreach manager as a follow up who resolved the issue.

Having said all that I also know that lots of people are very happy with XILO FTTC too.

No matter who you choose, inevitably there will be outages and issues - but at least you're likely to get a response and action from an independent.

Aquiss 80/20 unlimited fibre -BQM
Standard User MrDeeJay
(regular) Sat 06-Dec-14 14:04:31
Print Post

How do you know the ball is rolling with the upgrade/migration to fibre on Xilo?

Although Matt has said mid week he would start progressing the order - there is nothing shown in my online panel regarding it.

I know when I switched to Xilo from O2 broadband I got emails with usernames and passwords etc - maybe be because I ordered that on their website and the emails were automated.

Anyone any ideas how long it takes an ISP to contact Openreach/Openreach to set a install date.

Maybe they have I am not sure - was wonder if this would appear in your control panel.

I don't want to keep asking Xilo as I feel I am annoying them.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Dec-14 16:05:37
Print Post

You're not..

Can you confirm the email ID? orders are progressed the day the request is received.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to