User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LC100
(member) Tue 14-Jul-15 21:04:27
Print Post

Xilo - unusual slow down at peak times just recently

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm on Wakefield exchange with FTTC, usually evening time congestion is never seen on my Xilo connection, but the last couple of evenings, after noticing browsing very slow and laggy with buffering on video usually never seen, a speed test seems to show congestion. This morning it was fine with x6 Download equal to the single download test, which it always has been anytime of day.

Link to result here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... via Ethernet , yesterday evening speeds were around 8Meg average so a little better this evening.

So just wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue before I raise it with Xilo support. To me this looks like it is most likely an exchange issue so probably outside of Xilo direct control, is this a fair assumption?

Edited by LC100 (Tue 14-Jul-15 21:05:41)

Standard User LC100
(member) Wed 15-Jul-15 07:17:45
Print Post

Re: Xilo - unusual slow down at peak times just recently

[re: LC100] [link to this post]

Hi

Slow speeds continued into the night, but this morning the speed test shows things back to normal http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... and this sort of speedtest prior to the slow downs of the last couple of nights is what I would see if I tested at anytime.

I'll give it a few days and if things continue will raise it with Xilo.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jul-15 09:10:19
Print Post

Keep doing tests for a few days and if it remains consistent (peak congestion related) then raise it with xilo submitting the speedtests' as evidence..

you will find that doing a test around 3-4 times a day will give a good indication to xilo..

So if you can Morning, Midday, Late Afternoon (3-4PM) & Evenings (9-10PM)

The issues could be exchange issues or BT Wholesale link congestion.

WBC @ 4500m > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 *Ceasing Soon
FTTC @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U *Migrating Soon BQM
FTTN Coming Soon

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jul-15 09:35:32
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I like just outside Wakefield. If there exchanges are anything like there 3G mast is will be congested
Standard User LC100
(member) Wed 15-Jul-15 11:47:44
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Hi

Yes doing that just now and keeping a record. Been fine all morning, then I've suddenly found things going slower than ever before, and the speed test result is this:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Still sync'd at 80Meg, no disconnections of VDSL, upload is perfect, so something wrong somewhere remote to me. Odd congestion would be this bad at this time of day, so I can only think it is a major outage or problem just local to my area/exchange, hopefully already a known issue and being looked at.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jul-15 11:59:56
Print Post

Might be worth looking to see if any errors are on the line or snr dips. Can lead to slowdown
Standard User LC100
(member) Wed 15-Jul-15 12:12:08
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Hi

Good point regarding errors, so had a look but nothing reported any differently. SNR Margin is 9.4 down and 12.6 up (sync is 80/20), errors are low, with 1 CRC and 1 ES in the last 30 minutes, which is when the speed tests took place. My VDSL sync all looks good, and no drops at all, link up time was 60 days or more but I rebooted the modem yesterday just in case it was causing the problem, which made no difference, and it hasn't drop the line since I rebooted.

It all feels and looks external to me. Speeds still poor http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... and now showing some packet loss on the BQM which is new, it all looked normal yesterday evening with nothing to suggest on the BQM there was a problem.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:33:08
Print Post

Also showing some packet loss at the moment, south Kent. BQM in sig.
Speed testing is also slow and erratic . Initial burst doesn't reach line speed and then tails off quickly.

Not noticed any problems before today however.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User LC100
(member) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:38:13
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Hi

Your packet loss in red at the top is almost a mirror of mine, and as you are somewhere totally different to me, implies a problem less local to me and more local to Xilo or their suppliers.

Think I will raise a ticket.
Standard User LC100
(member) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:54:42
Print Post

Hi

I've raised a ticket and linked back to here for their info, I'll update the thread with the outcome.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to