User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Aug-15 13:11:57
Print Post

Any SSE Customers?

[link to this post]

I've been told by SSE that migrations consist of a 14 day cooling off period and then 7 days to migrate the phone line/broadband - does that sound right? Also can't get 100% clarification on static IP addresses - best I've got from CS is they might be provided but it's non-standard and fiddly.

Anybody able to provide clarification?
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Aug-15 14:42:58
Print Post

Re: Any SSE Customers?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

OK, got the static IP thing clarified, from online chat -

If you would like a static IP address you just need to request this from out broadband support team once we are supplying your broadband

No charges for it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Aug-15 14:44:55
Print Post

I read that as saying contact CS after going live, but it is CS who just didn't seem too keen according to your previous post.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Aug-15 15:00:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My experience is that most SSE CS will say the product doesn't offer a static IP because they have fairly basic knowledge - if you deal with CS who reply with "Hold on I'll contact the technical team", you'll get the correct answer. As I mentioned elsewhere other customers have confirmed the static IP, I just wanted to get final confirmation for myself.
Standard User dronkula
(regular) Fri 21-Aug-15 19:45:08
Print Post

Migrations are generally now (for everyone - not just SSE) a minimum of 14 days to complete.

It used to be possible to migrate a connection in 5 days after you had provided the MAC to your new provider - but now that there are no longer any MACS, once you place the order it will take a minimum of 14 days so the old provider has time to contact you and you have a chance to cancel the order.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Aug-15 05:39:23
Print Post

[re: dronkula] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dronkula:
It used to be possible to migrate a connection in 5 days after you had provided the MAC to your new provider - but now that there are no longer any MACS, once you place the order it will take a minimum of 14 days

Another step backwards then?

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - EE via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Aug-15 05:46:12
Print Post

The reply I got with regards fixed IP. :-

"we do not offer a fixed IP as a regular feature, but we would be able to request one depending on the reason for the requirement (e.g. IP CCTV). We would treat the request on an individual basis based on the circumstances."

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - EE via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User binary
(member) Thu 03-Sep-15 13:51:39
Print Post

Hi Spud, have you made the move to SSE Broadband?

I'm giving it some serious consideration (for FTTC), but it's a bit of an unknown quantity so any feedback would be great.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Sep-15 06:24:24
Print Post

[re: binary] [link to this post]

No, for various reasons I moved to Pulse8 who have one month rolling contract for FTTC. Here are a couple of reviews of SSE over at ISPreview - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33960...
Standard User binary
(member) Fri 04-Sep-15 10:23:01
Print Post

Thanks.

I'm thinking of giving them a punt anyway...
  Print Thread

Jump to