User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User the_gog
(learned) Tue 11-Aug-15 15:43:54
Print Post

Timico /29 routing problems

[link to this post]

Does anyone else here have problems routing with their Timico /29 block?

I'm one of the non-business customers with routing problems since I got shifted to their /29. As I wrote last week:

"The problem is that the start IP address of my block is also the WAN IP of the ISP (Timico). They used to be separate addresses, quite distant from each other. This doesn't play ball with my Belkin modem, and as such it's mucked up my network until I can spend time diagnosing."

I have two ADSL2+ modems, one Belkin, the other Linksys, and both are having trouble routing with Timico. I've had various different /29 over the past 10 years my exchange has had ADSL, and each time there's been no problem preforming the changeover on my network. Until Timico took over Coms and gave me a new /29. Each time I had a change of /29, all I'd do is change one entry in my modem's config file -- changing it to the new IP for ex 4.5.6.2 (where my new block is 4.5.6.1-8) from 1.2.3.2. The WAN IP that my modem displays -- and is what the ISP gives me when I authenticate on their network -- is quite far from the /29 block that they allocate me. Timico are different. The WAN IP they give me when I authenticate is the start IP of my /29. This is what's causing problems.

Strangely, if I configure the modem to, say, 1.2.3.1, and my iMac to 1.2.3.3, I can use the iMac to connect to the internet, but the modem is invisible from my side of the network. I can only configure it externally via tethering something to my Three mobile phone. Additionally, nothing else on my network can see the modem on 1.2.3.1 thus my wireless router (which is a separate device to my modem) can't see it, thus I have no home wifi. I've been relying on using Three's mobile data since a week, so I dread what my bill is going to be like.

This could be resolved if Timico allocated me a WAN IP on authentication that was distinct from the /29 they allocated me. I have tried taking this up with Timico support, but they don't understand the problem.

Help!!

Richard

Edited by the_gog (Tue 11-Aug-15 15:48:16)

Standard User sills
(regular) Tue 11-Aug-15 19:38:45
Print Post

Re: Timico /29 routing problems

[re: the_gog] [link to this post]

I've not used Timico, but that's the same way Enta and Plusnet assign IP blocks (where the Router IP is the first of the block), With some routers you set the LAN side IP to the same as the the WAN side, and others you have to use one IP for the WAN side and leave the router unreachable, or use another of the block for the LAN IP of the router if you can spare it.
Standard User the_gog
(learned) Tue 11-Aug-15 19:45:46
Print Post

[re: sills] [link to this post]

I was on Enta with ADSL24. I didn't have the setup you describe with them. I've tried setting the LAN side IP of the modem to all different IPs in the /29 and it's not made a shred of difference. I have a separate router (Asus RT-AC66U) sitting on one of the /29 and that can't see the outside world now either. So no matter what I try, the only device on my neywork that can access the outside world is my iMac and nothing else.

Timico don't understand the problems I'm having. They just say "we gave you what you asked for". Great! So far, I can't use it. Come back Coms, all is forgiven...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Aug-15 19:53:46
Print Post

Hang on.

Even if you can't see the modem via the router, I assume you can see the router from an attached computer. What login details for Timico have you got in the router?

Edit: Also I assume you do mean ADSL2+ modems, not ADSL2+ routers. You say you have trouble with the modems routing, and modems don't route.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 11-Aug-15 19:56:06)

Standard User the_gog
(learned) Tue 11-Aug-15 20:05:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have a Belkin ADSL2+ modem router which is attached to the BT line and gives me 5 static IPs out of its LAN ports. To one of these I have an Asus RT-AC66U router which gives me a NATted subnet for stuff that doesn't need to be sat on a public IP, such as my mobile phone, PS3, TV, and so on. Timico gave me no login details, so I continue to use the ADSL24 one which still works.

Timico gave ne no warning on or before the changeover day. I got back in the house to find everything disconnected. I rang them, and they gave me the /29 details over the phone. They couldn't explain why I hadn't been notified as to the changeover nor what my new /29 was going to be.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Aug-15 20:14:44
Print Post

What IP address have you got the Asus RT-AC66U set to for connection to the Belkin.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 11-Aug-15 20:16:09)

Standard User the_gog
(learned) Tue 11-Aug-15 22:24:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What IP address have you got the Asus RT-AC66U set to for connection to the Belkin.

The IP address of the modem. It can't see the Belkin modem, and I can't see the Asus router from the Mac, either, even though I have the web interface enabled for access from the WAN side. I might well have to do a factory reset on the Asus and start that from scratch.
Standard User sills
(regular) Tue 11-Aug-15 23:04:00
Print Post

Say your IP block is 4.5.6.8 to 4.5.6.15, the setup I'd expect to do is:

4.5.6.9 - Belkin LAN IP
4.5.6.10 - Asus WAN IP
4.5.6.11-14 - other public hosts.

On the asus and the hosts on 11-14 the gateway would be set to the belkins LAN IP 4.5.6.9 and the netmask to 255.255.255.248.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Aug-15 23:27:01
Print Post

I wish you'd stop calling the Belkin a modem. It isn't! It's an ADSL2+ router. That is probably why the Timico tech didn't understand what you were on about. It makes understanding your problem and giving you possible solutions confusing and difficult.

I assume you have things into some of the Belkin's Ethernet ports as well as the ASUS into one.

Or have you got the Belkin in bridge mode so it is just acting as a modem, and your IP Block completely irrelevant? Your latest post suggests you have the Belkin feeding into the ASUS WAN port. In fact, "even though I have the web interface (of what) enabled for access from the WAN side (of what)"?

Standard User the_gog
(learned) Wed 12-Aug-15 09:57:29
Print Post

[re: sills] [link to this post]

Yes, that's what I had also tried. It made no difference. At the moment I'm using the Belkin in NAT mode so I can get to my emails this morning.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to