User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative Neil_A
(isp) Thu 01-Oct-15 09:52:23
Print Post

Coms broadband migration to Timico - usage changes

[link to this post]

Hi,

If you're a Timico broadband customer as a result of the Coms acquisition earlier this year, you should be receiving an email today or tomorrow with some changes to broadband allowances.

Basically Coms broadband usage used to be measured 8am to 8pm with overnight usage effectively being unmetered. On Timico usage is measured on all accounts 24 hours a day. To compensate for this change we're doubling all usage allowances for Coms broadband customers migrating into Timico. So 50GB becomes 100GB, etc. This will bring ex-Coms customers in line with Timico broadband accounts and will take effect from 1st November.

Full email below FYI. I'm happy to answer any questions of course.
Likewise if you receive the email and don't think you should have done please PM me. Likewise if you don't get the email and think you should have done please also PM me.

----
Dear xxx,
Coms account code: xxxxxxx
Timico account number: xxxxx

You are hopefully aware that Timico acquired the telecoms business of Coms.com earlier this year. We contacted many customers in June to provide an outline of our integration plans, but we're aware some customers did not receive the letter. Sorry if we missed you the first time!

Coms is continuing to operate from Stokenchurch as a wholly-owned subsidiary, but during the next few weeks will be fully merged into Timico. This email provides some information about Timico, our integration plans and how this will affect you.
Becoming a Timico customer

Timico is a long-established and profitable Internet, Hosting and Communication Service Provider, headquartered in the East Midlands. We employ more than 350 people across seven UK sites, focused on the delivery and 24/7 support of business-grade, Internet services to more than 15,000 customers. You can find out more about us and the clients we already work with at www.timico.co.uk

We've generated you a new Timico account number and we'll give you details of how to contact us for technical support, customer service or sales enquiries. We've hired lots of new staff and are going through training programmes to make sure we're ready to look after your business in the best way possible.

We've already migrated all broadband lines onto Timico's network and all landlines and VoIP services will transition across shortly. Systems and billing integration will happen in October and November. The contractual terms and monthly price for your services will remain unchanged. The only immediate changes relate to the way you settle your invoices from now on:
• Direct Debit - no action is required. We should be able to collect your monthly charges using the current mandate, if we can't we'll let you know
• BACS transfer - payments must be made to; Santander, account number 01108859, sort code 09-07-20, quoting your invoice number
• Cheque - to be made payable to 'Timico Limited'
• Credit card - we will not be supporting payment by Credit Card in the future, so we will be asking customers to establish a new Direct Debit mandate with Timico

Coms was in financial and operational difficulties when we acquired their telecoms assets. We're still unravelling some things, so we may not always have your details to hand if you get in touch. But over the next month we'll keep you updated about moving your billing and services fully across to Timico.

Some changes to broadband services
From 1st November 2015 we’re going to make some changes to broadband services to bring Coms broadband services in line with Timico broadband services.

Timico broadband usage allowances are measured 24 hours a day, whereas Coms broadband usage was only measured from 8am to 8pm. To compensate for this change we are increasing all broadband usage allowances as follows:
Current Coms broadband allowance New Timico allowance from 1st Nov
30GB 60GB
50GB 100GB
100GB 200GB
500GB Unlimited

We are also withdrawing the pay-as-you-go broadband usage top-up facility. From 1st November customers who use more bandwidth than is included in their monthly allowance will no longer have their line speeds restricted. Instead lines will continue to work normally but usage above the included allowance will be charged at £2.25 excluding VAT per GB. From 1st November our MyTimico portal will be available to you, so you can track usage levels and setup usage alerts. You can find out more about our Standard Charges and pricing on our website.

More information

If you have any questions about what is happening, or want to talk to our Customer Service, Technical Support or Account Management teams please reply to this email, call 01636 858919 or visit http://www.timico.co.uk/contact-us

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
Timico Ltd
www.timico.co.uk
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Johnmcl7
(learned) Thu 01-Oct-15 11:43:00
Print Post

Re: Coms broadband migration to Timico - usage changes

[re: Neil_A] [link to this post]

I've received the e-mail and obviously very disappointed, 100GB extra is really nothing to compensate for losing the unmetered portion given even a single Xbox One game can be a 50GB download.

I don't understand the change as it seemed entirely reasonable before to restrict usage during peak hours when more people are using the system then leave it unrestricted when most people aren't using broadband.

As a further frustration the area I'm in has fibre but they're not taking orders at the moment as it's a high demand area so can't get away from all this onto fibre as planned, will have to be another adsl provider.

Edit - seems orders are open now for Fibre so this is the push I needed to get moved off Coms/Timico

Edited by Johnmcl7 (Thu 01-Oct-15 12:03:42)

(isp) Thu 01-Oct-15 12:07:08
Print Post

[re: Johnmcl7] [link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this is disappointing, I do understand your position.

Unfortunately the network platform and billing system at Timico are only configured to measure, track and bill usage on a 24 hour period. We'd have to do quite a bit of development to change all the systems to cope with different usage periods.

I agree though in the future I'd ideally like to offer unmetered overnight usage when the network is quiet, but unfortunately we can't at this time.

Good luck with your new provider if you do choose to leave.

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
Timico Ltd
www.timico.co.uk
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-15 12:13:45
Print Post

I can see it from both sides

Broadband prices are falling yet usage is increasing. So ISPs need to make money obviously or they cant offer a service, yet at the same time with HD streaming and game downloads going digital usage limits arent always appropriate for the user

Saying that some ISPs do offer unlimited usage pretty cheaply like Pulse8 im on, or offer the old Coma usage times like Xilo/Uno
Standard User Johnmcl7
(learned) Thu 01-Oct-15 12:14:57
Print Post

I appreciate the honesty in your response but I'm baffled how a company can have such a restrictive system. One of the main reasons I joined ADSL24 years ago was because of their fair metering system, I was sick of companies offering 'unlimited' broadband that ended up being tightly restricted at peak times or just very slow.

Having a peak/off peak system seemed entirely fair particularly when companies still seem to struggle with peak time usage, a reasonable cap discourages people from using a lot of bandwidth during peak times and keep bigger downloads for quiet times.
Standard User marvinmartian
(newbie) Thu 01-Oct-15 13:33:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Neil_A:
If you're a Timico broadband customer as a result of the Coms acquisition earlier this year, you should be receiving an email today or tomorrow with some changes to broadband allowances.

And even if you're no longer a Coms customer you may be receiving an email too...

*Sigh* It's just taken a month to get back the £51 Timico randomly stole from my account despite me leaving Coms in February, and as part of having to sort that out I requested I was really removed from the customer base this time.

The fact that I've just received this email clearly suggests Timico STILL think my account is active. If you take money again I WILL bill you for my time and interest on the money held.
(isp) Thu 01-Oct-15 14:14:25
Print Post

[re: marvinmartian] [link to this post]

Sorry about that, a pretty rubbish experience.
Can you PM me your name, old account number. email address and I'll make certain everything is fully removed and ensure you're not billed again.
Thanks

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
Timico Ltd
www.timico.co.uk
Standard User Johnmcl7
(learned) Thu 01-Oct-15 15:30:45
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
I can see it from both sides

Broadband prices are falling yet usage is increasing. So ISPs need to make money obviously or they cant offer a service, yet at the same time with HD streaming and game downloads going digital usage limits arent always appropriate for the user

Saying that some ISPs do offer unlimited usage pretty cheaply like Pulse8 im on, or offer the old Coma usage times like Xilo/Uno

I agree about prices and usage which is why I think it's more crucial to have a system that discourages people from big downloads in peak times and encourages those downloads when it's quiet. The new system seems a step back for both users and the ISP, I can't download as much as I want any more but I can download more during peak times.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-15 15:41:27
Print Post

Re: Coms broadband migration to Timico - usage changes *DELETED*

[re: Johnmcl7] [link to this post]

Post deleted by bobble_bob
Standard User marvinmartian
(newbie) Thu 01-Oct-15 18:11:11
Print Post

Neil - PM Sent