User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Maltbyite
(newbie) Wed 10-Feb-16 21:47:39
Print Post

SSE Fibre and VDSL modem compatibility

[link to this post]

Evening all,

Hopefully you can help me, I recently switched fibre provider from Plusnet to SSE and I'd like to use my own modem/router, a netgear d7000. When I was with plusnet, it worked like a dream but I was tempted to save a few £'s so thought I'd try SSE.

For the last 2 days I've tried to get my modem to connect to SSE's network but it stubbornly refuses to and I don't know why. I've written down all the connection settings from the SSE supplied modem (which incidentally died an hour later) and applied them to my netgear with no avail. I've triple checked the PPPoE username, password and other settings with SSE and they say it's correct so can now only point me to netgear's support page.

I think my netgear can recognise that it's connected to a network via the VDSL port (it will tell me the link speed and line noise etc ) but it never actually connects to the outside world.

Has anyone got any ideas - it's getting pretty tedious trying to do everything online via a 4 inch smartphone screen!

Cheers

Grahame
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 23:06:09
Print Post

Re: SSE Fibre and VDSL modem compatibility

[re: Maltbyite] [link to this post]

If you are seeing connection speed, it sounds like a username/password problem. Other settings are fairly standard.
WAN Connection Type PPPOE
Enable WAN Yes
Enable NAT Yes
Enable UPnP Yes

802.1q
Enable Yes
VLAN ID 101
WAN IP Setting
Get the WAN IP automatically Yes
WAN DNS Setting
Connect to DNS Server automatically Yes

Edited by professor973 (Wed 10-Feb-16 23:13:48)

Standard User Maltbyite
(newbie) Thu 11-Feb-16 08:03:30
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

My thoughts exactly, but I've checked the username/password and as far as SSE are concerned (having spoken to 3 different people) the details I'm using are right. I'm pretty certain my other settings pretty much follow your post buy will check when I get home.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-Feb-16 09:23:22
Print Post

Are you getting the capitalisation right? Is there an "eye" to the right of either the username or password as you enter it, to show what you have typed before going to the next field?

As the supplied one modem has died so soon you are entitled to a replacement, presumably pre-configured. Make sure you request that. It's possible you wrote something down wrongly. Os and 0s are the usual suspect.

There's also the possibility their system has blocked access if the wrong password has been repeatedly entered. Three wrongs is usually enough. Check that with them.

You should also have received written documentation of your account and login details. Not just a modem/router to Plug n Pray.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 11-Feb-16 09:26:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Feb-16 11:34:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Or the supplied modem dying was actually a symptom of something else, e.g. authentication failed and this made it self destruct?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Maltbyite
(newbie) Thu 11-Feb-16 18:22:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm certain I'm entering the password SSE have given me (also tried the usual variations - O and 0, l and 1, j and y etc, all caps, all lower case).

I've checked that my account isn't blocked (apparently it isn't) and I've got a replacement SSE configured modem arriving tomorrow but my better half 'doesn't want another bluddy box in the living room' :-/

The settings I've got on the netgear are;

ISP = other
Transfer mode = VDSL (PTM)
DSL mode = VDSL 2
Use VLANID = no
ISP login = *9 digit number*-energy@ssebb.co.uk
ISP password = as provided by SSE
IP address = get from ISP
NAT = enabled
DNS = get from ISP
Router MAC = default address
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Feb-16 18:58:28
Print Post

You need VLAN ID instead of setting it to none!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 11-Feb-16 19:02:32
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

True - vlan 101
Standard User jb66
(committed) Sun 15-May-16 17:22:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ive just signed up too, I will have a HH5 from bt, do you think i'll be able to set that up?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 15-May-16 17:42:47
Print Post

[re: jb66] [link to this post]

No its locked to BT

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to