User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-16 20:26:56
Print Post

Uno self install fibre

[link to this post]

When my cab is enabled I plan to go with a self install from Uno using a second hand HG612 modem and router combo. Will the HG612 still get firmware updates from BT/Openreach or does the modem have to be connected to BT Retail FTTC?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Aug-16 21:06:25
Print Post

Re: Uno self install fibre

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

The modem update infrastructure is ISP agnostic - if it is still in operation. Openreach stopped new engineer installs with modems from 1 April 2016. We are now close to the date (which I forget) when they will stop replacing existing modems when faulty and all fielded modems formally become the customer's property.

A HG612 version 3B is a good choice if you want a separate modem. I would install the unlocked B030SP08 firmware on the basis that there is now unlikely to be another version and that way you can get to the statistics.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 31-Aug-16 21:15:43
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

+1

Edit: The option that includes the GUI. The GUI is useless for stats as it gets them wrong, but a few other adjustments are far easier through it rather than telnet.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 31-Aug-16 21:17:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Aug-16 21:52:01
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
The modem update infrastructure is ISP agnostic - if it is still in operation.

Given a recent Openreach bulletin (today) about ECI modems, firmware and retransmission, it would appear to be and well in to 2017 too.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
  Print Thread

Jump to