User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Sun 07-Aug-16 15:03:59
Print Post

UNO - Talk Surf Fibre, soon or months away?

[link to this post]

Hi

Moving to a new property soon and would like the UNO Talk Surf Fibre package but it's been coming soon for the longest time I believe.

Is Talk Surf Fibre imminent, i.e. just weeks away, or more like months and months?

Regards

Phil
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-16 16:49:34
Print Post

Re: UNO - Talk Surf Fibre, soon or months away?

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

I asked this week as it was "Soon" in January, but they don't seem to want to give a date, which could drive some of us away from a good ISP.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 08-Aug-16 10:07:10
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Hi

Thank you for the info. I think I will need to look for another ISP then as I can't wait indefinitely for "coming soon", as if it was 'soon' in January, then they have a much different definition of "soon" than I do smile

Regards

Phil

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Aug-16 12:45:07
Print Post

As far as I am aware it has been in the pipeline longer than that. I have no idea of the complexities of setting up as a TTB FTTC LLU reseller, but they are already in the system as a TTB LLU ADSL2+ reseller, so hard to imagine such a lead time. My 13Mbps ADSL2+ does me fine, though miss FTTC for uploads and big downloads. You could try a direct request for a rough date letting them know your intentions.

Edited by professor973 (Mon 08-Aug-16 12:46:53)

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 09-Aug-16 07:25:47
Print Post

Is this the one you are waiting for smile

Link..

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Tue 09-Aug-16 10:06:25
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Hi

If that happens it will be perfect timing smile

Regards

Phil
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Tue 09-Aug-16 10:37:14
Print Post

If you haven't already done so, you should register your interest on the Uno website.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Tue 09-Aug-16 11:56:54
Print Post

This announcement isn't for the Talk Surf Fibre package (not sure if you realised).
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-16 12:22:37
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

I should think most of us did. Uno answer is still 'Waiting on TTB to release it. and 'Potentially' could mean never! https://twitter.com/unocomm/status/762761997771571200

Edited by professor973 (Tue 09-Aug-16 12:24:53)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Aug-16 13:12:01
Print Post

The "pro" fibre product (?) looks very interesting - guess it will be broadband only (can we still use the term SMPF for FTTC?) The main issue for me would be a long term contract since I'm quite happy with xilo "pro" TTB ADSL2+ SMPF although cutting out the broadband signal on the copper from the exchange to the cabinet probably would be a good move - stability rather than speeds is always my priority. Cost would also of course be a determining factor...currently £14.99 per month for "pro 50GB" ADSL2+ and I wouldn't want to pay a great deal more than that for VDSL.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:01:01
Print Post

Fibre Pro Prices

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Prices

Fibre 40/10 i 100 - 500GB 8pm - 8am Check availability £22.49 - £29.50
Fibre+ 80/20 i 100 - 500GB 8pm - 8am Check availability £23.49 - £29.99
Fibre Pro 40/10 i Unmetered Unmetered Check availability £29.99
Fibre+ Pro 80/20 i Unmetered Unmetered Check availability £34.99

Only downside is when I put my number in the checker I only get the top 2, which might change?

Phone is £9.99 a month extra. Calls are cheap & no rip off connection charges either

Provided using the Talk Talk Business network, our Fibre+ Pro packages are available to all exchanges that are enabled for VDSL services and that are on the TTB LLU network.

An assured rate of 15Mb is provided with the service (where the line rate is higher).

Static IP as standard.

Fibre+ Pro is suited for high usage with an unmetered bandwidth allowance.

Service is based on a 12 month term at the installation address. Suitable for lines capable of no more than 80Mb (20Mb upstream).

250MB of shared email and webspace is provided allowing an unlimited amount of email addresses and hosting for one real domain name.

We do not enforce any traffic management, or blocked ports. Your connection is delivered as it should be.

Steve

Edited by blfamily (Tue 09-Aug-16 21:16:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:07:42
Print Post

Re: Fibre Pro Prices

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

Where are those from? They don't seem to be on the uno website.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:09:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

https://www.uno.net.uk/packages/fibre-broadband/

Don't use the phone number checker!

Steve
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:26:31
Print Post

Hi

Plus VAT as well. There is small text to say VAT excluded, so add 20%.

What is the difference between this and just buying the service directly from TalkTalk business?

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Tue 09-Aug-16 21:28:33)

Standard User bet_here
(member) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:37:45
Print Post

12 month vs. 2 year contract?
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:45:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhilipD:

Stops hanging out the "Welcome to Uno Fibre Pro" bunting.

To answer PhillipD's question, not much - TTB LLU has a £58 setup charge and charges £47 a month on a 24 month contract (prices rounded up)
The small print
4 months cost comparison based on full price of TalkTalk Business' Complete Superpowered fibre (£30.00/month for 24 months plus £16.95/month line rental, £7.99 router delivery charge and 24 months min. term) compared to standard online price of BT Business' Premium Infinity + calls at £48/month for 24 months, plus £21.20/month line rental, plus £8.50/ month for 5 static IP's 24 months min. term, £8.00 hub delivery Price comparison excludes new line installation. All prices are exclusive of VAT and correct at 01.08.16. See legal section for full terms and conditions.

I've dropped Uno Sales a question and asking for a quote, will see what is what with that.

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:57:01
Print Post

OK, I found them before using your link.

Those are not the Talk Surf Fibre packages. They are the existing ones. Click the "i" against any - top two provided using BT Wholesale, the other two by TTB.

The Talk Surf page (line rental included) still says "Coming soon" and "Pre-register" for the Fibre option.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-Aug-16 22:04:11)

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Tue 09-Aug-16 23:14:48
Print Post

Hi Bob, see my earlier post
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Aug-16 23:27:43
Print Post

AH yes smile. I saw what you said about the Twitter post, but forgot about it. Sorry.

I wonder however if the two may not be the same? It sounds odd to have two such similar announcements in the pipe-line. Pro does of course also require line rental (not necessarily from uno AIUI), whereas TalkTalk Surf has line rental included.

I noted the poster did change the Subject for that price list. Rather confusingly I thought.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Tue 09-Aug-16 23:59:28
Print Post

You mean the broadband products may be identical for the end-user? Maybe. We can safely assume both will use TTB backhaul, beyond that I personally have no idea. At least Uno are usually transparent when asked, unlike some others (based on the time I joined as a customer).
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Aug-16 07:05:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by blfamily:
In reply to a post by PhilipD:

Stops hanging out the "Welcome to Uno Fibre Pro" bunting.

To answer PhillipD's question, not much - TTB LLU has a £58 setup charge and charges £47 a month on a 24 month contract (prices rounded up)
The small print
4 months cost comparison based on full price of TalkTalk Business' Complete Superpowered fibre (£30.00/month for 24 months plus £16.95/month line rental, £7.99 router delivery charge and 24 months min. term) compared to standard online price of BT Business' Premium Infinity + calls at £48/month for 24 months, plus £21.20/month line rental, plus £8.50/ month for 5 static IP's 24 months min. term, £8.00 hub delivery Price comparison excludes new line installation. All prices are exclusive of VAT and correct at 01.08.16. See legal section for full terms and conditions.

I've dropped Uno Sales a question and asking for a quote, will see what is what with that.

Actually you can get the 'Complete' package for less as TTB are currently offering discounts. The 'Complete' package is for 38 quid p/m for first 12 months (incl line rental + vat) which then goes up to 50 quid from months 12-24, so over the 24 months it works out at roughly 44 quid a month for the 80/20 FTTC service with no download limits. Whilst this is similar in cost to Uno's offering, there are a few major advantages in going direct with TTB on their 'complete package':

1) Seven days top class phone support (Warrington based)

2) You have unlimited calls to UK landline & mobiles from your landline. Of course with mobiles around, not everyone uses their landline heavily these days .However you can use your TTB landline calling plan on your smartphone via their excellent Talk2Go app (ioS and Android) which lets you register up to 5 mobiles and this even works from abroad...obviously you need a data connection. Therefore you can reduce the cost of your mobile plan(s) by getting say a 50 mins p/m plan with majority of your landline/mobile calls outgoing via the TTB app. In our household we average around 8000 mins of calls made per month over the 5 mobiles via the TTB app. Another nifty feature of the TTB app is that you can choose to receive landline calls on your mobile.

3) Up to 4 static IP address available on TTB

On the downside you're locked into a 24 month contract however they will let you leave penalty free if they can't fix a fault within 28 days or if they put up prices during the min contract term. They offer free house moves.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Thank you BDUK for bringing FTTC to the Scottish Highlands
TalkTalk Business 80/20
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-16 07:15:51
Print Post

I asked Matt

> As the Talk Surf Fibre is not yet available, is it as simple as adding the Uno phone package, or will it be cheaper once TSF is released.

TSF will likely be cheaper due to the bundled nature but we cannot indicate at this time by how much or when.

> Checking my phone number does not bring up any Fibre Pro offering. Rugby Exchange (CMRUGB) has TT LLU and FTTC.
> Can you please gie me a quote and advise when this will be live at my exchange.

I'd recommend checking again within the next few days. The TTB API appears to not be returning all possible exchanges and they are investigating.

> Do you provide any static IPv6 blocks in addtiion to the static IPv4

Not at the moment but we will in the future, we just cannot give a set date for that.

Steve
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-16 07:19:22
Print Post

The clue to my post is in the title "Fibre Pro Prices"

smile smile smile

Steve
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 10-Aug-16 08:47:44
Print Post

Hi

Many thanks for the info. We have no phone line in the new property so going TalkTalk business might work out quite a bit cheaper overall as there is no phone line connection charge, plus discounted rates for the first 12 months. If it isn't much different to the UNO offering in terms of performance, whilst I prefer supporting smaller companies, my wallet may take a different view.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Aug-16 09:06:39
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I think when you throw in all available current discounts(including cashback) and the recent rental rise to £16.95+VAT you're probably looking at an average of £47/month over 24 months for fibre Complete.

One thing I'd like to know is why they(TT Business) insist on an engineer install and switch fibre migrations back to ADSL and then to fibre again. TalkTalk residential just switch you over without an engineer, Pulse8 who resell TT Business also just switch you over without switching you back to ADSL - why the necessity for an ADSL reversion?

Edited by Spud2003 (Wed 10-Aug-16 09:07:55)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Aug-16 09:28:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by blfamily:
The clue to my post is in the title "Fibre Pro Prices"

smile smile smile
frown frown frown
Not something that is likely to be noticed by the majority - those who use Flat Mode.

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Aug-16 09:30:55
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
I think when you throw in all available current discounts(including cashback) and the recent rental rise to £16.95+VAT you're probably looking at an average of £47/month over 24 months for fibre Complete.

One thing I'd like to know is why they(TT Business) insist on an engineer install and switch fibre migrations back to ADSL and then to fibre again. TalkTalk residential just switch you over without an engineer, Pulse8 who resell TT Business also just switch you over without switching you back to ADSL - why the necessity for an ADSL reversion?

I think its just the way TTB's internal system operates. When going from TT Residential ADSL2+ to TTB FTTC, I was first put onto TTB's ADSL2+ service for a week then shifted onto their FTTC service. It wasn't a big deal for me personally as TTB ADSL2+ speeds weren't too bad (~18 mb/s).

As for an Engineer install on TTB, I actually think its a good idea. If you're not getting optimum VDSL2 speeds, it means the Engineer can check your wiring there and then and if possible fix any issues internal or external. In my case the Openreach Engineer even moved my mastersocket to a new location...cost me plenty of tea and choccie biscuits though! On the day my VDSL2 service went live, i did about a trillion speedtests whilst the OR guy was still there, only when i was 100% happy did i let him leave my house smile

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Aug-16 09:32:05
Print Post

I thought of going direct to TTB at the time I was considering Pulse8. When looking for user opinions of the service I found that at least twice TalkTalk had done a purge of customers who they considered were not business, but domestic users. They kicked them off.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-Aug-16 09:32:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Aug-16 09:37:04
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
Pulse8 have that sorted out now do they? Less than a year ago they were still struggling to get TTB to do FTTC>>FTTC migrations in. Several potential customers woukdn't accept that, including me.
Edited typo.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-Aug-16 10:08:01)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Aug-16 09:41:03
Print Post

They were(just) offering it when I decided to use them, not sure if it is now standard.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Aug-16 09:48:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I thought of going direct to TTB at the time I was considering Pulse8. When looking for user opinions of the service I found that at least twice TalkTalk had done a purge of customers who they considered were not business, but domestic users. They kicked them off.

According to a TTB agent i was chatting with recently, vast majority of users who got kicked off TBB and put onto TTR were previously wtih legacy ISPs such as Pipex, Nildram, Opal, Freedom2Surf etc who were on the cheaper (residential?) packages before they got taken over by TTB. The 'purging' has stopped and there seems to be no more reported cases:
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/talktalkbusiness.co.uk

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-16 16:26:53
Print Post

Do you have to take out TT line rental with this new package? Still like to find a FTTC SMPF package like you can with ADSL so can keep ohone line with BT
Standard User aparat
(regular) Wed 10-Aug-16 19:47:22
Print Post

Its sorted. I am in process of migrating service to Pulse8 and its straight from FTTC to FTTC

Edited by aparat (Wed 10-Aug-16 19:48:20)

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 15:59:00
Print Post

Hi,

Just thought I'd get this one to the top again in the hope of getting an answer as to when the service will be available. My fibre cabinet should be activated imminently so I'd be keen to move to this package.

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf Unmetered
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: IFTN
Modem/ router: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Attenuation:25.0dB
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 52% of ISP
Current sync: 18635kbps
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 18:24:00
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Has been "soon" for about a year and ongoing before that. Uno will give no date.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 09-Dec-16 19:27:05
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

If you are lucky enough to get it - then you will probably be told no idea yet but their coming soon is starting to mirror Virgin Media's

And they are terrible..
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-16 15:39:05
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Fed up of waiting for Unos unlimited Fibre,went to Toople never looked back
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 28-Dec-16 17:22:13
Print Post

[re: edwin11] [link to this post]

You told us that months ago and several times over.

Funny how you keep coming back spamming that name.
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Wed 01-Feb-17 07:43:57
Print Post

Would like to know this too.
Seems odd as they now offer TTB Fibre Pro whereas before it was just BT Fibre based products.
Coming soon has worn very thin now, although like professor973, the drop to ADSL has been surprisingly adequate except for the occasional large download and the slow uploads speeds. Has saved me around £150 though by switching from Fibre to ADSL so shouldn't complain too much.
If I feel the need to go Fibre again, as it stands, I think Pulse8 would get my custom.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 01-Feb-17 09:50:26
Print Post

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

I've decided to drop to ADSL and my current provider (TalkTalk Business) is offering it to me free for 12 months on a 12 month contract.
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Wed 15-Feb-17 20:45:26
Print Post

Well, I think its been long enough now, so starting to look at migrating to another provider to get back to fibre. Can't seem to login to my portal on Uno due to the 2 factor rejecting what my generator is providing.
I'm on ADSL no contract so I guess I have no termination fees if I leave Uno for say, pulse8?
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-17 20:57:15
Print Post

Just call them?

AAISP FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Feb-17 20:58:35
Print Post

Read your T & Cs. I think there are many circumstances in which there could be charges. Also depending on how Pulse8 process the order.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14156Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-17 21:15:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
starting to look at migrating to another provider to get back to fibre.

Do call us, or raise this online (after sorting 2FA) - there are alternatives.

Can't seem to login to my portal on Uno due to the 2 factor rejecting what my generator is providing.

You'll need to call us about that as we'll have to go through some extended security checks before we can turn it off. Won't take longer than a few minutes.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 16-Feb-17 20:08:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
Well, I think its been long enough now, so starting to look at migrating to another provider to get back to fibre. Can't seem to login to my portal on Uno due to the 2 factor rejecting what my generator is providing.
I'm on ADSL no contract so I guess I have no termination fees if I leave Uno for say, pulse8?

I am sure what they don't want the larger ISP down the road will be happy to mop up. Seems bizarre but they seem to like being selective on who their customers are.
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-17 15:43:20
Print Post

Keeps their positive reviews high!
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 22-Feb-17 16:54:22
Print Post

Hi

Any reason you don't just go for phone line package + Fibre with Uno? I doubt the TalkTalk combined package would be that much cheaper than a pick and mix approach when (if) it arrives. That's what we did in the end.

Regards

Phil
Standard User shane605
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 10:16:06
Print Post

Looks like they finally put a price on the Talk surf fibre package. £25.99 - £36.99. Just can seem to order it, just default to the ADSL service.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-17 11:49:42
Print Post

[re: shane605] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shane605:
Looks like they finally put a price on the Talk surf fibre package. £25.99 - £36.99. Just can seem to order it, just default to the ADSL service.

Attractive pricing, but also unable to order. Not sure whether it a TTB MPF migration issue or whether they haven't enabled the offering at their end.
Standard User nickscs
(member) Tue 28-Feb-17 18:38:44
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I can`t either but Matt says its only a small amount of exchanges at the moment. Also no guarantee that because you are on a Talk Surf ADSL package that you will be able to get the fibre talk surf apparently.
Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Fri 03-Mar-17 09:52:55
Print Post

[re: shane605] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shane605:

Will the Talk Surf be 40/10 or 80/20?

We're currently paying £34.99 for Fibre+ Pro and then another £9.99 for line rental.

If you can get the same thing for £36.99 then that would be a bargain. Even at 40/10 it isn't a bad offer, saving a few quid versus Fibre Pro + WLR.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to