User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-16 12:55:57
Print Post

Re: Diaries of a Pulsator

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
I have no time for them all of a sudden!

Possible a bit harsh, but I understand where you are coming from.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Thu 24-Nov-16 09:55:53
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with the ZyXel it would seem. Happy to report that interleaving has disappeared off the line after 48 hours.

X6 speeds back to approx 70Mbps. Single thread still poor in comparison.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User richi
(regular) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:15:52
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
No real evidence to support this. The ZyXel was initially synced at...
Yes, but your margin is way above the target, so I'd expect any VDSL2 modem to get the full 80 with ease.

When modems consistently sync faster than others but report higher error rates, it's usually because they're measuring the margin more aggressively. And indeed your ZyXel stats report a higher margin than the Huawei's.

3 km line on THTG: 18/1 Mb/s with Pulse8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 13:32:57
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

Both of those high margins are expected, and in the size order they are, because both are sync'ing at the maximum cap for the product. The 3kbps below 80,000 is also normal. I think the lowest I have seen on a "full" 80/20 sync is 79,996Mbps. 79,999 being the highest.

The margin above 6dB would be used if the line were allowed to sync at the Max/Attainable rate - 111.343Mbps on the XyXel and 103.792Mbps on the HG612.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Nov-16 13:37:03)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Thu 24-Nov-16 13:38:08
Print Post

Current margin measurements mech closer to the Huawei today, at least on the downstream side.

VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 20.202 Mbps 80.103 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 20.000 Mbps 79.987 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 9.5 dB 12.8 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
Transmit Power: -12.5 dBm -12.5 dBm
Receive Power: -16.0 dBm 5.9 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 0.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 0.0 dB 6.3 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 25.184 Mbps 105.164 Mbps
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 08:15:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The 3kbps below 80,000 is also normal. I think the lowest I have seen on a "full" 80/20 sync is 79,996Mbps. 79,999 being the highest.
HG612 on a Huawei cabinet:

Text
# xdslcmd info       
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY statusStatus: Showtime
Retrain Reason: 1Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 31330 Kbps, Downstream rate = 97820 KbpsBearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 13:59:16
Print Post

Just come back off our hols and made the deciision to upgrade the line to a business connection.

No discernible difference between the before and after beyond the normal variation in speed test results.

Before regrade:

After:

I have validated the single thread speed, by downloading a 512MB file compressed TBB data file. which downloads in just under 100s, giving a speed of 43 Mbps.

Not sure where to go from here. If I stay with Pulse8, then I may just downgrade to the 38/10 product and save myself some dosh.

I have had a preliminary email chat with some possible alternate ISPs, but there is a significant cost to reverting back to a BT line with the ISPs I would choose to go with.

Uno would be a good option, if they ever get their Talk Surf Fibre product launched.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:03:05
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Welcome back smile

Not sure if there is any difference at all. I always thought Pulse8 used the TTB network anyway. So the priority would be the same on both connections?
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:51:10
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Re-sellers packages are built to suit the ISP. Uno route differently to Pu;lse8. I had a perfect service from Uno, whereas the apparently same resold service from Pulse8 was poor with lots of errors. That said, Pulse8 tried their best with my line as are my current ISP.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 20:29:07
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

There's a post on here from last year explaining the difference in prioritisation between the ADSL packages

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/t/4411129...

My understanding is that there is a similar difference between the Home and Biz packages. The P8 web site refers to the Home packages being standard priority and the Biz packages as being high priority, so I anticipate there is some prioritisation differences.

In reality, the additional prioritisation isn't make any discernible difference.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to