User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 16-Nov-16 09:11:28
Print Post

Diaries of a Pulsator

[link to this post]

We migrated to Pulse8 fibre a week ago from Sky ADSL / BT phone line

On the day of the migration, we seemed to lose incoming calls on the phone line, as the Kelly engineer who was running late, couldn't call us to tell us he was running late. So our morning install appointment commenced at 1:15.

The engineer didn't have the vDSL faceplate for the new NTE5 boxes so fitted the mk3 interstitial faceplate to the existing NTE5.

After a minor glitch all was up and running, at least on the BB. The engineer expedited the phone migration, or at least half of it, so we had outgoing calls but not incoming calls until some time in the early hours of the following morning when the bots must have completed their stuff.

How's the connection?

Pretty good. The fibre cabinet is the other side of our front garden wall, so it was just about guaranteed that we would get full 76/19 sync.

I've started to run the TBB Quality Monitor and the connection looks pretty good (see here).

TBB speed test speeds are a bit variable (different browsers / hardware and the flash and non-flash versions give slightly different results), but obviously much quicker than the Sky ADSL connection.

Latest test here.

The results tend to less linear in the evenings though.

Pulse8 have been great throughout the process.
Standard User rupert999
(newbie) Fri 18-Nov-16 09:36:24
Print Post

Re: Diaries of a Pulsator

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Hey jaydub - can you post a link to your live BQM graph?

And maybe another speed test result...

Pulse8 are at the top of my shortlist.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Nov-16 09:56:39
Print Post

Yep I would like to see a speedtest at peak hours, that looks like possible congestion at 09:05AM. Are you using ethernet when testing?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-16 11:24:18
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I am running the quality monitor, but probably shouldn't be as I am not on a fixed IP.

Just started one on my current IP address, so give it time.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/2f79faab44e...

All speed tests give pretty much the same result, night or day. I tend to run the speed tests at midnight or first thing in the morning, so here's a couple:

Mid-evening on Monday
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Yesterday morning

TestMyNet speeds are in the same ball park as the single thread results.

I have been in dialogue with Sam about it and he has reported that the only issue that is being returned is the connection to the router, however it is very vague as it could be internal or external. I've moved the connection to the master socket and both his results and mine are no different.

A router swap would be the next stage, but I'm slightly loathe to go out and buy another to prove it's not the router. So unless there is someone within spitting distance of Marple who wants to loan a VDSL router to an almost complete stranger....

The problem is that I ace the Pulse8 Ookla speed test which is a multithread test (and possibly running on port:8080), so the line is well above the threshold speed where they can raise a fault.

I may just jump to their business product for a few days (if they can offer that) to see if it improves things, which should hopefully tell us whether it is congestion or not.

Please note that I had similar speed issues on Sky ADSL. Very similar day and night, so my suspicion is it's not specific to the Pulse8 TTB connection.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Nov-16 11:34:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Please note that I had similar speed issues on Sky ADSL. Very similar day and night, so my suspicion is it's not specific to the Pulse8 TTB connection.
Test wired or wireless?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Nov-16 11:36:29
Print Post

I did not see that kind of speedtest on my Sky, TalkTalk or BT connection (apart from when Sky did genuinely have congestion). Are the Sky tests wireless (they have 2.4Ghz WiFi on most routers)?

Here are a couple of mine that I have saved down, they're like this 24/7:

My TalkTalk line is also the same.
TBH the single threaded speed is absolutely fine to do everything e.g. stream, download at a decent speed, skype call, facetime etc so I would not worry too much. It is when it drops to 3Mbps that it becomes an issue (which does happen with bad congestion!!)

EDIT: I also test over WiFi using default ISP supplied router and a macbook pro 2014 retina.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 18-Nov-16 11:38:15)

Standard User Skilty
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-16 11:46:24
Print Post

I am always running the quality monitor (see sig).

Speed tests can vary somewhat but I rarely see the x1 match the x6 test.

This morning
Speed Test Result - 18/11/2016

Spoken to Sam and Adam and moved up to their business package about two weeks ago to see if it helped, made no difference from what I can see. Have tried two Asus routers, dedicated pfSense box and now running an Edge Router Lite, all with same result. All tests with direct connection to the master socket with a Mk 3b faceplate, hard wired not wifi.

The Pulse8 Ookla speed test shows 64mb (same as the x6 test here) as it is multithreaded. Modem line rate right now is 68651 down and 20000 up. FEC total stands at 3,100 and HEC or 3,000, BT OR modem has been up for 5 days.

Based on my performance on the residential package compared to the business one I would put this down to congestion.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-16 12:06:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Test wired or wireless?

Wired
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Nov-16 12:23:59
Print Post

The fact that the FTTC is "the other side of our front garden wall" does not guarantee maximum speed.

The local FTTC here is probably a similar distance, about 10 Metres from my front door; but the link cables to the PCP travel about 50 Metres to the PCP, followed by about 250 M of original phone cabling, to get to my front door, still only 10 M from the FTTC.

(I can see inside the FTTC when opened, from my lounge window.)

I forget the site which gives forecast BB speeds; but when I used it to extract the forecast speeds for all 77 houses on this estate, it showed that my house and the others in the immediate group, were likely to get the slowest BB speed, whilst geographically the nearest to the FTTC; and second nearest geographically to the PCP.

The most remote houses on the estate, about 500 M from the PCP, are forecast to get faster speeds, although not maximum.

The estate was fully phone-wired during build on a greenfield site in 1967, so no obvious reason for the extended wiring.

So the geographic locations of the FTTC and of the PCP are not reliable indicators of likely Broadband performance.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Nov-16 12:41:26
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

I am always running the quality monitor (see sig).

Speed tests can vary somewhat but I rarely see the x1 match the x6 test.
That just indicates some congestion somewhere. As I've said the X1 is fast enough not to slow things down majorly, a vast majority of things you do online are single threaded so multi threaded speedtests can be misleading of the actual performance you see.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Nov-16 12:48:23
Print Post

Pictures, adverts and anything else linked to can often come down a new stream though.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Nov-16 12:49:37
Print Post

Pictures, adverts and anything else linked to can often come down a new stream though.
I did not know that, overall the speedtests are fine, usage will not be noticeably impacted at the speeds they've linked to. Not 100% perfect but nothing to spend time worrying over in my view.
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-16 12:51:10
Print Post

Until you have 2 kids on Netlfix, another kid using Sky on demand, the last kid on youtube, me working or online games playing and wife surfing and using iPlayer.

Then that x1 performance can become significant frown

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-16 17:46:22
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
The fact that the FTTC is "the other side of our front garden wall" does not guarantee maximum speed.

The local FTTC here is probably a similar distance, about 10 Metres from my front door; but the link cables to the PCP travel about 50 Metres to the PCP, followed by about 250 M of original phone cabling, to get to my front door, still only 10 M from the FTTC.

(I can see inside the FTTC when opened, from my lounge window.)

I forget the site which gives forecast BB speeds; but when I used it to extract the forecast speeds for all 77 houses on this estate, it showed that my house and the others in the immediate group, were likely to get the slowest BB speed, whilst geographically the nearest to the FTTC; and second nearest geographically to the PCP.

The most remote houses on the estate, about 500 M from the PCP, are forecast to get faster speeds, although not maximum.

The estate was fully phone-wired during build on a greenfield site in 1967, so no obvious reason for the extended wiring.

So the geographic locations of the FTTC and of the PCP are not reliable indicators of likely Broadband performance.

In our case, I don't think it's that big an issue:

====================================================================================
VDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
G.Vector: Disable
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 1 day: 1 hour: 30 minutes
====================================================================================
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 20.202 Mbps 80.103 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 20.000 Mbps 79.987 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 9.7 dB 12.9 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
Transmit Power: -12.6 dBm -12.6 dBm
Receive Power: -16.2 dBm 5.9 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 0.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 0.0 dB 6.4 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 25.828 Mbps 105.494 Mbps
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 21-Nov-16 21:33:25
Print Post

Having managed to borrow a Huawei modem and a Technicolor router, I have now had chance to test my connection with the ZyXel 8924 in VDSL mode, the ZyXel in combination with the modem and the Technicolor router with the modem, I think we can rule out the ZyXel as being the cause of the problem as both the download and upload speeds are a smidge faster.

I'm now torn between paying £6 extra to go to a Business connection with no great expectation of a fundamental improvement or being pragmatic and saving £6 a month on a 40/10 connection, where I should be able to max out the connection.

In terms of our usage, we probably don't need anything quicker than 40/10, however it would have been a shame not to have tried to get full speed, what with the FTTC cabinet just being the other side of the garden wall and all that. wink

Here are some speed tests from this morning. The speed tests were a bit variable, possibly because I am having to use my work laptop when testing on the iMac.

Here are a couple of the best ones using different kit combinations:

Using the Thomson router with Huawei modem

Using the ZyXel VMG8924 in vDSL mode:

And a couple of the more interesting ones!:

These are definitely the worse I have seen.

The tests were run on the iMac, but I can't rule out that Outlook was replicating on the laptop mid-test though.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-16 10:31:43
Print Post

All the kit swapping has upset the DLM, so now have an interleaved line. Sync speed dropped from 80 to 76, multi thread download speeds have dropped from 65-70 to 40-50, single thread speeds now dropped to under 40 and ping times have doubled.

Happy days!! frown

Getting closer to giving up on the 80/20 connection and dropping to 40/10.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-16 10:44:08
Print Post

All the kit swapping has upset the DLM, so now have an interleaved line.

This may be down to the Zyxel 8924... On my rock solid TT 80/20 line, the HG612 has been flawless for me yet when i briefly tried the Zyxel in bridge mode (uses a newer BCM chipset than HG612) the line errors went through the roof. I went back to the HG612 before the DLM intervened. Sometimes old is best smile

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.63_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Nov-16 11:09:18
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I get the feeling that ZyXel sync's too high for some reason.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-16 12:32:16
Print Post

I have no time for them all of a sudden!
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-16 12:45:09
Print Post

No real evidence to support this.

The ZyXel was initially synced at:

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
G.Vector: Disable
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 2 days: 20 hours: 18 minutes
SNR Margin: 9.6 dB 14.3 dB
Transmit Power: -12.8 dBm -12.7 dBm
Receive Power: -16.5 dBm 5.9 dBm
Total Attenuation: 0.0 dB 6.3 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 25.282 Mbps 111.343 Mbps
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 U4 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 0.1 4.6 8.3 N/A N/A 3.0 6.6 11.6
Signal Attenuation(dB): 0.1 4.6 8.1 N/A N/A 4.1 6.5 11.6
SNR Margin(dB): 10.2 10.8 9.3 N/A N/A 14.3 14.3 14.3
TX Power(dBm): -17.7 -42.1 -14.5 N/A N/A 7.8 7.3 7.6

The Huawei stats were:

Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 30773 Kbps, Downstream rate = 103792 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79987 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 12.6 12.7
Attn(dB): 6.5 0.0
Pwr(dBm): -10.1 -10.2
VDSL2 framing
Bearer 0
MSGc: 18 150
B: 239 236
M: 1 1
T: 23 5
R: 0 16
S: 0.0955 0.3771
L: 20104 5410
D: 1 1
I: 240 255
N: 240 255

Since the two snapshots were taken a few days apart, they look remarkably identical, at least to my untrained eye. wink
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-16 12:55:57
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
I have no time for them all of a sudden!

Possible a bit harsh, but I understand where you are coming from.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Thu 24-Nov-16 09:55:53
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with the ZyXel it would seem. Happy to report that interleaving has disappeared off the line after 48 hours.

X6 speeds back to approx 70Mbps. Single thread still poor in comparison.

Standard User richi
(regular) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:15:52
Print Post

No real evidence to support this. The ZyXel was initially synced at...
Yes, but your margin is way above the target, so I'd expect any VDSL2 modem to get the full 80 with ease.

When modems consistently sync faster than others but report higher error rates, it's usually because they're measuring the margin more aggressively. And indeed your ZyXel stats report a higher margin than the Huawei's.

3 km line on THTG: 18/1 Mb/s with Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 13:32:57
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

Both of those high margins are expected, and in the size order they are, because both are sync'ing at the maximum cap for the product. The 3kbps below 80,000 is also normal. I think the lowest I have seen on a "full" 80/20 sync is 79,996Mbps. 79,999 being the highest.

The margin above 6dB would be used if the line were allowed to sync at the Max/Attainable rate - 111.343Mbps on the XyXel and 103.792Mbps on the HG612.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Nov-16 13:37:03)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Thu 24-Nov-16 13:38:08
Print Post

Current margin measurements mech closer to the Huawei today, at least on the downstream side.

SNR Margin: 9.5 dB 12.8 dB
Transmit Power: -12.5 dBm -12.5 dBm
Receive Power: -16.0 dBm 5.9 dBm
Attainable Net Data Rate: 25.184 Mbps 105.164 Mbps
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 08:15:57
Print Post

The 3kbps below 80,000 is also normal. I think the lowest I have seen on a "full" 80/20 sync is 79,996Mbps. 79,999 being the highest.
HG612 on a Huawei cabinet:

Text
# xdslcmd info       
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY statusStatus: Showtime
Retrain Reason: 1Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 31330 Kbps, Downstream rate = 97820 KbpsBearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 13:59:16
Print Post

Just come back off our hols and made the deciision to upgrade the line to a business connection.

No discernible difference between the before and after beyond the normal variation in speed test results.

Before regrade:

After:

I have validated the single thread speed, by downloading a 512MB file compressed TBB data file. which downloads in just under 100s, giving a speed of 43 Mbps.

Not sure where to go from here. If I stay with Pulse8, then I may just downgrade to the 38/10 product and save myself some dosh.

I have had a preliminary email chat with some possible alternate ISPs, but there is a significant cost to reverting back to a BT line with the ISPs I would choose to go with.

Uno would be a good option, if they ever get their Talk Surf Fibre product launched.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:03:05
Print Post

Welcome back smile

Not sure if there is any difference at all. I always thought Pulse8 used the TTB network anyway. So the priority would be the same on both connections?
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:51:10
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Re-sellers packages are built to suit the ISP. Uno route differently to Pu;lse8. I had a perfect service from Uno, whereas the apparently same resold service from Pulse8 was poor with lots of errors. That said, Pulse8 tried their best with my line as are my current ISP.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 20:29:07
Print Post

There's a post on here from last year explaining the difference in prioritisation between the ADSL packages

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/t/4411129...

My understanding is that there is a similar difference between the Home and Biz packages. The P8 web site refers to the Home packages being standard priority and the Biz packages as being high priority, so I anticipate there is some prioritisation differences.

In reality, the additional prioritisation isn't make any discernible difference.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 15:16:31
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
Re-sellers packages are built to suit the ISP. Uno route differently to Pu;lse8. I had a perfect service from Uno, whereas the apparently same resold service from Pulse8 was poor with lots of errors. That said, Pulse8 tried their best with my line as are my current ISP.

Well you are with AAISP now? so they will do a good job i'm sure smile
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 15:16:49
Print Post

Cheers, I will take a gander when I can wink
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:45:15
Print Post

Pulse8 runs over the TTB network, where as Uno have their own authentication servers so goes over them and i believe Daisy or whoever they use now.

Basically Pulse8 and Talk Talk direct are the same connection. Only difference is the customer service which is handled by Pulse8, and you get better priority on the network
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:59:55
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Interesting that I have just checked on UNO site. The only option I am quoted is Phone and broadband from what appears to be TTB . The same as I have with Pulse8 and £4/ month cheaper ADSL2+
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Dec-16 17:31:12
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Does your uno figure include line rental? It almost certainly doesn't include Vat.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Tue 20-Dec-16 17:56:07
Print Post

Unlimited is £19.99 +VAT.

Provided using the TTB LLU network, our Talk Surf packages are available a large number of exchanges enabling us to deliver an excellent bundle service.

Line rental and broadband combined; one cost, one bill.

Static IP as standard.

Talk Surf offers usage-based and unmetered options. For usage-based, monthly usage is within peak hours only which are Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm. All other times are off-peak.

You are also able to control your line profile on Talk Surf to offer the best speed vs stability performance.

Cost includes line rental.

250MB of shared email and webspace is provided allowing an unlimited amount of email addresses and hosting for one real domain name.

We do not enforce any traffic management, or blocked ports. Your connection is delivered as it should be.

Pulse8 charge for static IP and don't appear to have the hosting or email.
Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 18:54:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Pulse8 runs over the TTB network, where as Uno have their own authentication servers so goes over them and i believe Daisy or whoever they use now.

Just a quick question; Does this mean Uno use Daisy backbone?

Regards
Mac
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-16 18:59:18
Print Post

[re: Mac99] [link to this post]

They did. Not sure if they still do or use another supplier now
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Tue 20-Dec-16 19:13:04
Print Post

BT based FTTC on UNO :

Tracing route to thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 62.72.148.135
3 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms be50.cr10.tn5.bb.daisyplc.net [62.72.137.1]
4 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms be50.cr10.tn5.bb.daisyplc.net [62.72.137.1]
5 10 ms 9 ms 11 ms 62.72.134.70
6 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
7 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms te2-1-9.star10g.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.17]
8 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms po4-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
9 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]

Trace complete.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 20:17:22
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

Just tried a similar tracert on my Pulse9 fibre connection.

C:\>tracert thinkbroadband.com

Tracing route to thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ZyXEL.Home [192.168.1.254]
2 8 ms 5 ms 5 ms host-78-149-208-1.as13285.net [78.149.208.1]
3 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms host-78-151-225-141.static.as13285.net [78.151.2
25.141]
4 5 ms * 6 ms host-78-151-225-140.static.as13285.net [78.151.2
25.140]
5 12 ms 10 ms 11 ms host-78-144-9-17.as13285.net [78.144.9.17]
6 18 ms * 39 ms host-78-144-14-2.as13285.net [78.144.14.2]
7 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms talktalk-gw1.thdo.ncuk.net [78.144.3.74]
8 12 ms 38 ms * po4-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
9 10 ms 13 ms 10 ms www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]

Trace complete.

Lots of host hops before the talktalk gateway. Any idea what might be going on?
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-16 20:28:02
Print Post

You meaning the "as13285.net" entries? They're all Talk Talk based ones
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 20:56:31
Print Post

You meaning the "as13285.net" entries? They're all Talk Talk based ones

Realised that. just wondered why there were so many hops before hitting the outside world.
Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 21:02:16
Print Post

Thanks Bob.

Adrian a quick question, and apologies but am absolutely new to this.

Your post tells me that on an Uno BT FTTC, the data is transmitted over daisy backbone ... Would that be right?

If so why is BT not being used and what difference does it make to FTTC to be provided in this manner?

Regards
Mac
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Dec-16 21:18:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by AdrianPH:
That's odd!

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-16 21:23:16
Print Post

No idea but i get the same as you, so assume its normal
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 06:11:33
Print Post

That's odd!

I have no idea why it does that Bob, it always has . Whatever, the line is consistently blazing fast which is all I need to know.
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 06:20:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mac99:
Thanks Bob.

Adrian a quick question, and apologies but am absolutely new to this.

Your post tells me that on an Uno BT FTTC, the data is transmitted over daisy backbone ... Would that be right?

If so why is BT not being used and what difference does it make to FTTC to be provided in this manner?

Regards
Mac

That's correct Mac. There is a handover from BTW to Daisy , how , when or why you'd have to ask Matt at Uno. It maybe they purchase the service from Daisy.

What I do know is Daisy have a very reliable network, a few years back I was with Xilo on their Pro 75GB LLU and that went out over Daisy . The connection was superb, the only problems came from external events like a cable being dug up in London , Xilo (UNO) and Daisy never once had an issue.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 16:14:56
Print Post

I thought UNO used TBB network also.
Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-16 16:24:46
Print Post

That's correct Mac. There is a handover from BTW to Daisy , how , when or why you'd have to ask Matt at Uno. It maybe they purchase the service from Daisy.

What I do know is Daisy have a very reliable network, a few years back I was with Xilo on their Pro 75GB LLU and that went out over Daisy . The connection was superb, the only problems came from external events like a cable being dug up in London , Xilo (UNO) and Daisy never once had an issue.

Thanks for that Adrian.

Regards
Mac
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 16:56:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

Their standard fibre package is BTW based and has monthly usage restrictions.

Their ADSL and Fibre Pro packages are TTB supplied and are unmetered.

Quite what this has to do with my Pulse8 concerns is anybody's guess though! wink
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:12:18
Print Post

They use TTB, BTW and Vodafone depending on product.
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:17:39
Print Post

Not quite right there ....... if you want to see the providers used check each product the "!" mark against each gives details of provider and package.

Quite what this has to do with my Pulse8 concerns is anybody's guess though! wink

Well yes you have been hijacked ))
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 18:16:37
Print Post

Not quite right there ....... if you want to see the providers used check each product the "!" mark against each gives details of provider and package.

Hopefully this is an accurate rendition of the facts gained by pressing "!" against each of the products listed above, coz that's what I did before posting. wink
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 19:19:28
Print Post

Hopefully this is an accurate rendition of the facts gained by pressing "!" against each of the products listed above, coz that's what I did before posting. wink

Provided using the VDF LLU network, our Extreme packages are available a large number of exchanges enabling us to deliver ADSL2+ broadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 19:34:27
Print Post

If you are getting problems over the TBB link then others might be as well.

Last time I checked, free country n all.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 30-Dec-16 10:33:47
Print Post

Having tried the 76 Business connection and seen no improvement over the 76 Home connection, I have decided to try downgrading to the 38 Home product.

Still seeing similar variations in the single thread vs multi thread performance.

Non-flash version:

Flash version:

TestMy.Net single thread results averaging out about 35Mbps though, which doesn't align very well.

Just tried downloading files and TBB and Speedtest.tele2.net results similar to the TBB tests, but web4host.net and test.unet.nl similar to the TestMy.Net results.

Slightly confused about all this. Peering link performance issues?

Edited by jaydub (Fri 30-Dec-16 10:38:23)

Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Fri 30-Dec-16 11:43:44
Print Post

What OS and browser ?

I can't get TBB speed test to work properly in anything but IE11 and even then I have to use the alternative test.

11.30 today
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 30-Dec-16 12:17:14
Print Post

Re: Diaries of a Pulsator *DELETED*

Post deleted by jaydub
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 30-Dec-16 12:17:23
Print Post

What OS and browser ?

I can't get TBB speed test to work properly in anything but IE11 and even then I have to use the alternative test.

11.30 today

MacOS (Sierra) and Chrome.
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Fri 30-Dec-16 15:53:25
Print Post

Try a different browser, the way Chrome handles data has a strange effect on speed tests.

At the end of the day no test is perfect you'll always have other traffic interfering with the results.

Just don't end up like my neighbour, he has become totally obsessed with his broadband connection. He has at least 14 different routers, several modems and boxes of cables and master sockets.

He spends all day running test, has software measuring every conceivable thing, it never stops it has become a sickness and what for ? He never actually " uses" the internet for anything.

He has run out of ISP's to change to and most don't want him back .

His partner has had enough and is moving out .......
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sat 31-Dec-16 10:34:58
Print Post

Not too much chance of that.

I'm far too tight fisted to keep on buying routers and swapping ISPs.

I may just buy another router so I have a back up option should the current router fail, but struggling to see anything on the market that is likely to outperform my ZyXel VMG8924-B10A at a price I want to pay!

I'm really just trying to understand what the root cause might be to give me an indication of whether an ISP swap might improve things.

I did email a few top end ISPs before Christmas, but they were all unwilling to commit to being able to deliver a significant improvement and there wasn't a great deal of consistency in there suggestions of what might be the cause.

Having tried the Business product and not seen any benefit from the increased prioritisation should at least rule out some of the causes.

I am having an inner battle between the scientist in me that wants to understand why we are seeing the single thread slow down and the pragmatist in me that says just get on and use what is after all a perfectly adequate working connection.

P.S. Tried testing the non-Flash version on the iMac with Chrome, FF and Safari both with and without AV loaded and there was no discernible difference between the results.

Edited by jaydub (Sat 31-Dec-16 10:44:54)

Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:27:08
Print Post

Windows 10 64Bit IE11

Windows 10 64Bit Chrome

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sat 31-Dec-16 14:05:36
Print Post

Windows 10 64Bit IE11

Windows 10 64Bit Chrome

I like your IE11 one better.

Interesting difference though.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 20-Jan-17 17:58:48
Print Post

As what is hopefully a final update to this thread, I had a nice speed test surprise this morning.

Pulse8 are upgrading all their customers packages, which must have resulted in the problem TTB kit being bypassed.

Hopefully all other Pulse8 users that were having single thread speed issues will see a similar improvement in their results.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will last.
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-17 18:29:15
Print Post

Just kicked everybody off the network at home and surprisingly mine is suddenly much better as well:

TBB Speed Test

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Jan-17 19:22:39
Print Post

Pulse8 are upgrading all their customers packages, which must have resulted in the problem TTB kit being bypassed.
In what way? I don't see any news on their site.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 20-Jan-17 20:18:28
Print Post

In what way? I don't see any news on their site.

Good question, Bob.

It was in their last invoice email:-

Great News for all our new & existing customers
All home fibre packages are now business grade with a 48hr target fix time (Care Level 2).
All business fibre packages now have enhanced line care with a 24hr target fix time (Care Level 3).

Perhaps phone only customers received a different email?

All I've been told is that we are now on a different back end network code, whatever that means.

Traceroutes from thinkbroadband .com have changed:

# Host Sent Recvd Best Avg Worst
1 thinkbroadband-gw2.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net 15 15 0ms 2ms 3ms
2 po4-31.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net 15 15 0ms 10ms 157ms
3 ge-11-0-0-scr010.the.as13285.net 15 15 0ms 2ms 14ms
4 host-78-144-14-7.as13285.net 15 15 0ms 2ms 16ms
5 host-78-144-9-16.as13285.net 15 15 5ms 6ms 6ms
6 host-78-151-229-213.as13285.net 15 15 5ms 6ms 16ms
7 host-62-24-255-6.as13285.net 15 15 5ms 6ms 6ms
8 host-78-149-210-32.as13285.net 15 15 10ms 10ms 11ms

to:

1 thinkbroadband-gw2.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net 15 15 1ms 10ms 120ms
2 po4-31.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net 15 15 0ms 1ms 15ms
3 ge-11-0-0-scr010.the.as13285.net 15 15 0ms 3ms 36ms
4 host-78-144-14-1.as13285.net 15 15 0ms 6ms 51ms
5 host-78-144-9-20.as13285.net 15 15 5ms 7ms 25ms
6 host-78-151-229-213.as13285.net 15 15 6ms 7ms 11ms
7 81.1.113.12 15 15 7ms 8ms 14ms
8 xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com 15 15 10ms 10ms 11ms

Make of that what you will. wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Jan-17 22:14:55
Print Post

Ah - I did see "Faster High Priority Business Grade Home Fibre ..." on the product description but it didn't connect with my brain that it had changed. blush

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jan-17 12:18:22
Print Post

I just assumed the 'upgrade' was for the lead time on fixing faults, wasn't aware it actually changed a users connection?
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-17 13:53:43
Print Post

I just assumed the 'upgrade' was for the lead time on fixing faults, wasn't aware it actually changed a users connection?

No neither was I, but it is.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Jan-17 14:25:35
Print Post

As I understood the previous products they were TT Retail products with higher backhaul priority. These appear to be TT Business products with the business backhaul settings and TT support levels.

Bot of course sold to resellers by TalkTalk Business Wholesale.

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:42:28
Print Post

Interesting. I have been having intermittent speed problems on ADSL2+, for last month. 0.3 up and down last Sunday.
Now everything running faster and reliably since Tuesday.
I do wonder if there was a capacity problem, which has been resolved with additional bandwidth for fibre customers. Freeing up capacity for other users.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:43:36
Print Post

Well I am now looking at P8 - purely for the cheap as chips line rental. I hate it when something is forced upon the consumer and at a very extortionate price - such as current BT line rental costs.

Does anyone have P8 ADSL and if so is it ok? I am not sure I can be arsed with another FTTC line when all it currently does is stream Amazon and IPTV.

Edit - as I posted so did flippery on ADSL 2+ - wonderful fluke smile

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 22-Jan-17 13:44:44)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jan-17 16:10:08
Print Post

ADSL been fine for me, no reason to update to fibre yet myself either.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 16:24:49
Print Post

Thanks for the feedback. It's something I am considering as not sure I need FTTC for what I currently use the BT line for.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jan-17 16:40:21
Print Post

Problem is with Pulse8 you have to get your phone line with Talk Talk in order to get fibre. Least with ADSL you can just transfer the broadband over
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 18:15:25
Print Post

I moved to P8. For Line and ADSL2 Broadband Package. Other than last month. I have never had problem since Joining.
I was fed upd with BT Anytime cost., especially the setup mobile charges. Now have 1p / minute for local calls and a Virgin 250 Min mobile £5 package. Gives complete flexibility at less cost. Very rarely do lines cause problem, only once in 30 years for me.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 18:33:40
Print Post

Thanks for the replies bob and flippery.

I'm just watching what happens with my TV tonight when I limit the connection to 15mbps. if it all plays fine then I will go with ADSL, I know I can get 15mbps i've had it before.

It's a shame this thread was not entitled Diaries of a Pulse8er or something - would have been much cooler! smile
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 23:03:05
Print Post

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will last.

Obviously didn't keep them crossed hard enough.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/bf4d3decd32...

Also back on a 38 Product, even though I though i had agreed with Pulse8 to stay on 76XL.

I'm a bit confused as I was managing to access my work VPN and email whilst all that redness was going on.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Jan-17 00:25:15
Print Post

Your link has a real "full stop" at the end.

The BQM looks utterly dreadful even now wrt base latency. I think you may have serious DLM interleaving and "delay" milliseconds added.

Re the 38/10, and looking at your surprise 76/20 result after you had downgraded, I have the feeling the Pulse8 order to upgrade everyone was going through on the basis of the customers' connections when the order was created, which may have had you on it at 78/20. Then the bulk order was submitted and you jumped up again.

Adjusted down again when someone realised.

Your post reads as though you rang about the surprise return to 76/20, but maybe that didn't get through to the person checking befores and afters? Sees you as 38/10 pre-bulk upgrade and 76/20 post, so got it dropped down again. Or maybe it did get through but too late to stop the second downgrade.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Jan-17 00:28:47
Print Post

A further thought - re being dropped back down to 38/10, is that confirmed by your upstream sync speed? Or has all that red resulted in banding being applied to the line? What does a thinkbroadband speed test show?

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 24-Jan-17 00:30:05)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 08:42:48
Print Post

Hi Bob,

It definitely looks like it has just been moved back to the 40/10 product

Line Rate: 10.146 Mbps 40.035 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 9.995 Mbps 39.970 Mbps
SNR Margin: 18.4 dB 22.6 dB
Transmit Power: -12.7 dBm -12.7 dBm
Receive Power: -16.5 dBm 6.6 dBm
Attainable Net Data Rate: 25.080 Mbps 98.452 Mbps

The INP=0 suggests that there is no interleaving on the line, which is confirmed by DSL Stats

Bearer 0
INP: 0.00 0.00
INPRein: 0.00 0.00
delay: 0 0
PER: 3.06 11.87
OR: 65.16 151.62
AgR: 40035.61 10146.45

Speed tests are back where they were:

I'm a bit confused about the ping responses though. BQM shows 30ms+; f8lure 21ms, yet if I ping www.thinkbroadband.com I am getting 12ms returns.

Nil happy bunnium. frown
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-17 08:55:16
Print Post

Guessing it was stable on 80/20? Wondering as Bob mentioned that the mass migration to this new node or whatever it was has been cancelled out by you downgrading to 40/10.

Did a quick speed check and I am still seeing the benefits of it.

Graph this morning from my connection

Pinging www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 80.249.99.130:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

Hopefully Sam or Adam get it sorted for you this morning.

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 09:23:07
Print Post

Regrade back to 76XL product underway.

Also asked to move to fixed IP address.

Let's see where it goes from here.

My patience is starting to wear a bit thin!
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-17 09:59:49
Print Post

Regrade back to 76XL product underway.

Also asked to move to fixed IP address.

Let's see where it goes from here.

My patience is starting to wear a bit thin!

Yeah I was a little miffed when I rang about the whole issue around single thread test and was told that to get the same as x6 at peak was expecting too much.

Yet it seems it has been magically fixed with whatever change was made. Happy because I am now back to where I started 15 months ago with P8 but unhappy because I was told there was no issue (clearly there was and it wasn't cab or exchange related) and I am currently paying the extra £6 for business and I am now loathed to remove it as I have no idea if it will have a detrimental effect!

Wondering if a jump to TTB (don't like the idea of a 2 year contract) would make more sense as it is cheaper (you get 4xIP and unlimited landline and mobile calls). From what I can tell there would be no difference in the fibre service itself as P8 are simply reselling TTB services. You get the customer care from P8 but from what others have posted the TTB customer service is pretty damn good.

AAISP are using some of their own servers from what I understand so that would differ slightly.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 10:13:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Skilty:
Yeah I was a little miffed when I rang about the whole issue around single thread test and was told that to get the same as x6 at peak was expecting too much.

LOL really!? That's shocking, that would make me think twice, especially with no contract to tie me to them. You would have thought they would keep that in mind when dealing with customers.

From what I saw the £6 add on bumps you from care level 1 to 2 in terms of Openreach response/fix times.

I just called TTB support and they were really efficient, even when you raise a case online they come back well before their estimated response time and usually have it fixed first time.

My bill is £45.85 all in. I use the talk2Go app now so I have gone for a cheaper limited mins but lots of data sim only plan. Yes the inclusive calls are a decent offering too. makes the line rental charge worth it as opposed to BT where I pay £18,99 and get nothing, not even weekend calls.

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 24-Jan-17 10:17:16)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 10:57:43
Print Post

LOL really!? That's shocking, that would make me think twice, especially with no contract to tie me to them. You would have thought they would keep that in mind when dealing with customers.

From what I saw the £6 add on bumps you from care level 1 to 2 in terms of Openreach response/fix times.

It is the back end TTB support that are unwilling to recognise the reduced single thread speed as an issue. P8 have certainly been willing to push the issue in TTB's direction for me.

I would be very reticent to tie myself into a 2 year TTB contract as a result.

I know of one ex-TTB customer who had the same single thread issues, got hacked off with TTB's intransigence, migrated to an Uno TTB connection and now has no single thread issues.

I am still of the belief that the issue is peering related in that it doesn't affect all sites.

Try running speed tests from TestMy.Net as a comparison. It is another single thread tester, however it gives me much better results than the single thread results on the TBB speed test.
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-17 11:00:14
Print Post

But back to your topic smile Have P8 fixed the issue yet?

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 11:13:33
Print Post

But back to your topic smile Have P8 fixed the issue yet?

That will be a 'No' at the moment. Order is placed with TTB and awaiting TTB action.
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-17 11:24:18
Print Post

My experience exactly. Matt said that Uno route differently to Pulse8 TTB and that is why I was trouble free with what seemed the same resold product.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 11:53:09
Print Post

Is this what you mean?

http://testmy.net/db/TBhfQmG4O.D0iWAapRP

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 24-Jan-17 11:55:09)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 13:04:53
Print Post

Is this what you mean?

http://testmy.net/db/TBhfQmG4O.D0iWAapRP

It is indeed

And if you try this download file it will support the TestMy.Net result (or at least it did for me)

It's quite easy to get too screwed up about the single thread TBB results. It's very difficult to know whether it makes that much difference in real life anyway.

What's really hacking me off at the moment is the fact that P8 and TTB seem to be tied together by knicker elastic at the moment and quite stretchy knicker elastic at that. wink

P8 thought I was on the 76XL Product until I contacted them this morning. They've certainly been very prompt about placing the regrade order with TTB following our discussion, even if TTB haven't been quite so prompt to react.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 13:15:46
Print Post

It's good they have been on the ball.

That link gave me nothing more than 6.1MB/sec so I assume that's the problem rearing it's ugly head. It's the same on my current BT Infinity line as well.

Everything else I do just works, I wouldn't notice it otherwise but then I guess I must do everything multi thread even FTP
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 14:12:11
Print Post

Hi Bob,

With the help of PhilipD on Kitz, I now recognise the sea of red was because my IP address changed when TTB moved me back to the 8/10 product. And the reason the BQM response times were that much higher than I was seeing when pinging TBB.com was because the BQM was tracking someone else's line. What a glut, eh?!

Still waiting for the regrade back to 76XL to happen. Suspect it will be an early hours of the morning job as it usually is.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Jan-17 14:27:10
Print Post

That makes sense re the BQM smile.

Re what happened to your account, I am sure my earlier hypothesis is correct. The timing of your product downgrade in relation to the bulk basic service upgrade, followed by a manual adjustment to correct any anomalies.

The person doing the corrections not being aware of an intervening phone conversation between you and someone at P8 agreeing you would remain on the accidentally regained 76/20.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 23:28:46
Print Post

So P8 line rental is £13 unless you have their BB and then it's 6..

Dosen't seem such a good deal now when you drill down into it.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 23:39:56
Print Post

For ADSL, you are correct, but for fibre it's included within the monthly cost.

Remember the calls are dirt cheap though (although this may not apply to you). My monthly bills have been well under £1.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 23:42:31
Print Post

ah okay- Adam just told me it was £13 for line rental when I have internet elsewhere but they are dropping their price from £38 to £35 in April. He didn't make it clear that line rental was included.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Jan-17 00:32:46
Print Post

It's all over their website telling you. Just hover over any "I" symbol smile.

If you click the "I" you may get a fuller listing as well, particularly on the line rental page where you get to see all the optional extras. Such as caller display, which is the only one I have.

I see doing that on the ADSLx page that the top one is Annex M.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 25-Jan-17 00:35:49)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 00:41:07
Print Post

ah okay- Adam just told me it was £13 for line rental when I have internet elsewhere but they are dropping their price from £38 to £35 in April. He didn't make it clear that line rental was included.

£38 a month for the 38XL fibre product definitely includes the line rental. Trust me I'm a Yorkshireman (short arms and deep pockets wink)

I pay for Caller ID and just about to pay £2 for a fixed IP address, but those are my only extras.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 09:17:31
Print Post

That makes sense re the BQM smile.

Re what happened to your account, I am sure my earlier hypothesis is correct. The timing of your product downgrade in relation to the bulk basic service upgrade, followed by a manual adjustment to correct any anomalies.

The person doing the corrections not being aware of an intervening phone conversation between you and someone at P8 agreeing you would remain on the accidentally regained 76/20.

That's roughly what I thought, however Pulse8"s system had me down as being on 76XL even though I was on their 38 product at the time.

I think they may have been guilty of placing orders on TTB without keeping their admin up to date and this certainly explains their incorrect January invoice, which was quickly sorted.

I think you may be correct in that TTB were actioning the product regrades in a two stage process and were moving me from the old 38 product to the new 76 and then downgrading me to 38.

I'm back on the 76 product this morning and getting much better results again (although seeing some variability from test to test.

A good one:

and a not quite as good one:

Firefox on my work Win7 laptop is doing something altogether more bizaar with constant single thread and multi thread speeds, but with the multi thread significantly slower than the single thread speeds.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 10:17:53
Print Post

I knew it was £6 if you take their service, I believe he was talking about them and other ISP - well simple way to clarify. what do you pay them? £6 or £13?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Jan-17 10:27:58
Print Post

£13 + £1 caller display.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 12:35:15
Print Post

Thanks,

So it's £6 if you have their service and that's included. Otherwise £13 - fair enough smile
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 14:35:34
Print Post

It's included if you have fibre as that's delivered by MPF.

With ADSL, you are contracted for a broadband only service and you don't have to have your phone line with them.

If you have ADSL with them, it's £6 a month.

If your ADSL is with another ISP, then it's £13 a month.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 14:44:52
Print Post

Thanks
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 14:49:05
Print Post

Moved to static IP address at 11:30 and the single thread performance issues have returned.

Looking at the traceroute suggests that it is the internal routing that has changed, as the first three steps look to be identical to the traceroute I took last Friday when on a full speed connection.

New routing is:

1 thinkbroadband-gw2.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net 15 15 0ms 2ms 6ms
2 po4-31.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net 15 15 0ms 0ms 0ms
3 ge-11-0-0-scr010.the.as13285.net 15 15 0ms 1ms 4ms
4 host-78-144-9-64.as13285.net 15 15 1ms 5ms 46ms
5 host-78-151-228-57.as13285.net 15 15 1ms 1ms 3ms
6 gig-14-3-4004-rtr002.bre.opaltelecom.net 15 15 1ms 1ms 1ms
7 host-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.static.as9105.net 15 15 11ms 12ms 13ms

Last Friday's route was:

1 thinkbroadband-gw2.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net 15 15 1ms 10ms 120ms
2 po4-31.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net 15 15 0ms 1ms 15ms
3 ge-11-0-0-scr010.the.as13285.net 15 15 0ms 3ms 36ms
4 host-78-144-14-1.as13285.net 15 15 0ms 6ms 51ms
5 host-78-144-9-20.as13285.net 15 15 5ms 7ms 25ms
6 host-78-151-229-213.as13285.net 15 15 6ms 7ms 11ms
7 81.1.113.12 15 15 7ms 8ms 14ms
8 xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com 15 15 10ms 10ms 11ms

No idea what is going on now. frown
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jan-17 16:26:19
Print Post

tbh id just forget about it. I know its not ideal, but according to those speedtest you're still getting 42mbps down, which is still fast and probably more than you will ever need.

Could be running around in circles trying to sort it, and if its internal to TT then they will probably do little anyway as the speeds are above what is required to be classed as a fault
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 19:05:12
Print Post

Had to laugh
Pulse 8 checker said Superfast Fibre available for my line at 8.8mb down 0.8mb up.
My existing ADSL2, with Pulse 8, is 10mb down 1mb up
Not that I have any need for Fibre anyway for my usage.

Edited by flippery (Wed 25-Jan-17 19:06:50)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 19:09:34
Print Post

PLusnet told me my ADSL speed was 0MB to 0MB :/
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 03-Mar-17 19:54:28
Print Post

Just putting this one to be bed (hopefully)

Been a good week this week.

Firstly, TTB (driven by Adam) have managed to identify whatever was causing the poor single thread speeds and now getting single thread speeds that match the multi thread speeds.

Secondly, Pulse8 have just announced a drop in their pricing, so my 80/20 fibre will drop from £44 to £39.90 from 1st April (plus £2 for a fixed IP).

So will be staying put for the time being.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Mar-17 20:20:32
Print Post

Looks good. I assume its repeatable.

Is the speed test auto-detecting Pulse8 as well now? It used to pick up TalkTalk. The change could be part of when they upgraded the packages to business level rather than retail.

They must now have their own allocated IP address range. Which is surprising seeing as I wouldn't have thought there were any ranges available. Unless TT have released some to them.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 03-Mar-17 22:44:56
Print Post

Yes, it is repeatable, although I do get an occasional first test blip which disappears if I do a follow on retest.

I discovered a week or so ago that by doing PPP disconnects and reconnects I could bounce myself onto a good connection.

Pulse8 have always been on business connections as far as I am aware. (They definitely were when I joined them last November.) It's just that they are all on the highest priority now, which you only used to get if you paid £6 more for a Biz product.

Pulse8 are just TTB resellers, so the speed test still picks up TalkTalk automatically.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Mar-17 23:12:17
Print Post

There is a confusion there about business connections.

All Pulse8 have always been on TalkTalk Business Wholesale, but that is basically equivalent to BT Wholesale.

They have also always had "Home bundles" and "Business bundles". The same as most BT Wholesale based ISPs have.

AIUI the Pulse8 Home bundles now run on the same service as the Business ones, with the Business ones still having some better provision. I haven't looked into it in depth though smile.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 03-Mar-17 23:12:40)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 06-Mar-17 10:42:24
Print Post

Just had a trawl through my email history with Pulse8.

When I contacted them regarding migration, Adam wrote to me at the time of migration and said "We use the back end of Talk Talk Business.".

There has never been any indication in terms of my contact with them, either via email or or on calls, that we are on anything other than a TTB connection

And after all they are a TTB reseller, so it is difficult to see how they can be offering anything other than a TTB service.

It is still possible I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick though.....
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Mar-17 11:28:26
Print Post

smile
It's hard (for me at least) to explain. Somehow I might have confused you by even mentioning BT Wholesale earlier, when I was just equating TT Business Wholesale to it. I wasn't meaning the Pulse8 Home packages ran on BTW.

The confusion is caused by TalkTalk providing a service to resellers, and calling it TalkTalk Business Wholesale. Easiest perhaps to rephrase it as TalkTalk Wholesale for Businesses that are Resellers.

TalkTalk's own service has a Retail product range and a Business product range.

BT that many of us use has Home user and Business user ranges. Plusnet has Home user and Business user ranges. Both of those ISPs sell only BT Wholesale services. But what if BT Wholesale was renamed to BT Business Wholesale? Purely the name would change, not the services.

Similarly, in reverse, TalkTalk Business Wholesale could have been called TalkTalk Wholesale.

Think of John Lewis Broadband. That is basically a resold Plusnet service running on Plusnet routers and backhaul. With Plusnet relying on BT Wholesale.

Pulse8 has always had two ranges, Home user and Business user. The Home ranges were TalkTalk provided by TT Business Wholesale but running on the same "network/backhaul/systems" as TalkTalk Retail. At higher priority than TalkTalk Retail itself. In a similar way that John Lewis runs on BT Wholesale via the Plusnet internal network for the ISP services.

The Pulse8 Business ranges may or may not have been on the same but with higher priorities still, I don't know. The same as on ADSL Max BT Wholesale had a higher level service called Max Premium or something like that. Higher priority through the network and 832Kbps upstream instead of 448Kbps.

Puilse8 recently upgraded so the Home ranges, and obviously now if not previously the Business ranges, run directly on the TalkTalk (Business) Wholesale backbone. Neither is a resold TalkTalk Retail service.

It's more like John Lewis ditching Plusnet and becoming a stand-alone or more likely a white label ISP on BT Wholesale. Which is what years ago Vodafone were, and the Post Office were until they handed it over to TalkTalk instead. EE Broadband even now I think is BT Wholesale white label. No routers or internal network of their own is the best way of describing it.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Mar-17 13:19:10
Print Post

Thanks for the explanation Bob, even if it leaves me slightly nonplussed about what connection I actually have.

Happy to publish the Gateway servers I connect to in an attempt to confirm whether or not they are Business or Home gateways.

Whether these will be common or not with what the true TalkTalk Business or Talk Talk Residential users are seeing is anybody's guess.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Mar-17 13:38:48
Print Post

If you are on a Fibreoptic Home package you are on a business grade backhaul connection, just like the Fibreoptic Business packages are. You also get the enhanced care that goes with it, primarily I think a faster TalkTalk/Openreach response to fault reports.

Before Pulse8 recently upgraded all their Home packages for all customers they were (AIUI) directly reselling the TalkTalk home product not on the business grade. Though the Pulse8 traffic was on a higher priority than TT Retail customers.

It was reported a while back that TalkTalk retail customers were on the lowest priority, 7. Pulse8 customers were on 3, 2 or 1 depending on which package they bought.

What TalkTalk priorities Pulse8 customers are on since the upgrade I don't know. But they aren't on the retail service anyway now.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Mar-17 14:15:32
Print Post

I've seen that thread, but IIRC it was regarding ADSL services, so not sure how applicable it was to the fibre services.

According to Adam, the only difference between the P8 Home and Business packages is that "the business lines will have Care LVL3 instead of Care LVL2".
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Mar-17 14:44:38
Print Post

I wonder how the priority works too. Is this only when nesr full capacity and the P8 traffic will take priority over TT residential users?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Mar-17 14:50:17
Print Post

No idea sorry. I'm only going by what the website popup help has on the packages, and posts in these forums.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to