User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LadFromWales85
(committed) Fri 03-Feb-17 10:18:57
Print Post

TalkTalk Business Simply and Pulse8

[link to this post]

Hey all,

Am possibly looking at switching to TalkTalk Business on its Simply tariff, and am wondering why it is so cheap in comparison to a provider such as Pulse8, which from looking around on these forums, is reselling a TTB product and does not arrange its own transits, radius etc.
TTB Simply is £20.34 for the first 12 months, and £47.94 for the second 12 months (24 month contract), £819.36 over 24 months.
Pulse8 is £46.00 per month with a single static IP (12 month contract), £1104 over 24 months.
£284.64 cheaper!

TTB will also install a new line and waive the activation fee.

Even if I compare TTB Complete with unlimited landline and mobile calls, which is available with the 12 month discount extended to the full 24 months by calling them,
TTB Complete is £45.54 per month (24 month contract), £1092.96 over 24 months, still cheaper than Pulse8, with the additional landline calls and features, and option for 4 usable IP's included in the price.

Why is TTB so much cheaper, or rather why is Pulse8 so much more expensive, when it is reselling a TTB product and is running its own customer service.

My Broadband Speed Test
AAISP via 2x20CN
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-17 10:44:07
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Business Simply and Pulse8

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

Morning.

I have TTB Complete and I'm in Wales also. No problems here. £45.54 like you said, although with me they did install a new line but wouldn't wave the Activation fee. They have done it as £120 line install, £70 welcome credit and £50 charge. It's sort of naff really but for me it's history now.

I have also looked at Simply for a backup, either ADSL or the 12 months free (on 24 months) FTTC.

Pulse8 are 30 days even for FTTC, so they charge what they are charged (from what I have seen)

People speak well of Pulse8 - For me I have good experience with TTB when I have had to call them (Or raise a case online) I use the Talk2go app rather than have large or unlimited mobile minutes and it works well both inbound and outbound.

Most people don't do long contracts for things like house moves etc, however as you see with "Complete" they offer a free move within the contract, However when you read the small print it's 2 moves within 12 months within the contract. So it's good in that respect also.

I do get the single thread speed problem when I use the TBB speedtester, But it does not affect me in every day usage.

Edited as I got my monthly cost wrong (lol)

Edited by 23Prince (Fri 03-Feb-17 10:47:42)

(committed) Fri 03-Feb-17 10:47:34
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

So is TTB cheaper simply because of the longer contract duration, or am I missing something?
I can't see a point in joining P8 when TTB are selling the exact same service, with its own customer service, for less!

AAISP 80/20

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-17 10:48:47
Print Post

I guess as it's their network they can do it at this cost. I am not sure what the deal is now but when I signed up I got the discount fixed for the whole 24 months.

The support is in Warrington and it's good from my experience so far
(committed) Fri 03-Feb-17 10:50:28
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Come onto z.je and talk there...

AAISP 80/20
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-17 10:51:00
Print Post

Done - PM me smile

Edited by 23Prince (Fri 03-Feb-17 10:52:27)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Feb-17 11:00:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
So is TTB cheaper simply because of the longer contract duration, or am I missing something?
I can't see a point in joining P8 when TTB are selling the exact same service, with its own customer service, for less!

The reason why TTB are cheaper is because being a bigger ISP they can afford to offer big discounts off their standard prices, in return you'll be tied in to a 12/24 month contract though they will let you leave penalty free mid contract if they fail to provide you with their min quoted speeds or fail to resolve any issue to your satisfaction - they've signed up to the Ofcom Business Broadband Code of Practice. You can also leave them penalty free if they put up prices mid contract.

Based on my experience, their Warrington based support is pretty good smile

I guess smaller ISPs such as P8, Zen, AAISP, IDNet et al don't offer discounts due to their profit margins being smaller.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 03-Feb-17 11:09:02)

(committed) Fri 03-Feb-17 11:10:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info frogmella,

Any idea if there is any difference at all in the connection, between Simply and Complete, besides the option for extra IP's included? Priority etc.
I know Complete comes with free house moves, more landline features etc, but I don't think I'll be using the former, and we don't have a phone plugged in!

Of course, ISP's like AAISP, Uno are a little different to P8 in that they don't just resell an entire TTB product.

AAISP 80/20

Edited by LadFromWales85 (Fri 03-Feb-17 11:19:02)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Feb-17 11:18:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
Thanks for the info frogmella,

Any idea if there is any difference at all in the connection, between Simply and Complete, besides the option for extra IP's included? Priority etc.
I know Complete comes with free house moves, more landline features etc, but I don't think I'll be using the former, and we don't have a phone plugged in!

Nup, no difference in connection speeds/quality between Simply & Complete service (i've been on both). However if you take out the Complete package, you can use your landline plan on up to 5 smartphones via the excellent Talk2Go app so you could potentially save a small fortune.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 03-Feb-17 11:23:31)

(committed) Fri 03-Feb-17 11:23:02
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Assuming the Talk2Go app works using data? When making calls, do the calls appear to come from the landline number or the mobile? Can one also receive calls to the landline through the Talk2Go app?
The latter isn't really necessary as the number isn't given out.

I guess you were on Simply but are now on Complete, then?

I am with AAISP at the moment, just looking to save a little money as priorities have changed and £60 is a lot for just an Internet connection these days!

AAISP 80/20
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to