User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 08:10:26
Print Post

Uno Speed Test & BQM Results

[link to this post]

I'm looking at other possible options, should I decide to migrate away from my Pulse8 TTB based MPF connection, which is still having significant single thread speed issues, which we have pretty comprehensively proven are down to the TTB network.

The issue is currently being worked on by TTB, thanks to the efforts of Adam at P8 and I will be giving them more time to try and resolve the issue before jumping ship.

The cost of the move away from TTB MPF is not going to be insignificant, so I just want to make sure I have a bolt hole to go to that I am comfortable with.

So if you could post your TTB speed test results and any associated BQMs that would really be appreciated and advise whether they are on a TTB or BTW based connection.

Thanks.
Standard User AdrianPH
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-17 11:15:25
Print Post

Re: Uno Speed Test & BQM Results

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14867...

UNO Fibre+ 80/20
Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-17 11:21:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
So if you could post your TTB speed test results and any associated BQMs that would really be appreciated and advise whether they are on a TTB or BTW based connection.

Thanks.

Just an idea but if I was asking for test results, I would be asking for peak time ones. I think we all understand that daytime ones will be much better than evening ones as congestion occurs more often out of school and office hours.

Just my tuppence worth.

Mac

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-17 11:46:35
Print Post

But why are you thinking of leaving P8 if "It doesn't affect my day to day usage of the internet" ?

Usually genuine single thread speedtest issues are accompanied by packet loss on the BQM and/or increased ping times and/or peak time slow downs. The fact that you don't appear to be experiencing any of the latter 3 suggests it might be purely down to how the TBB speedtest works. I really would forget about it if its not affecting your day to day usage of your connection.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 10-Feb-17 12:01:49)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 12:49:33
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Simply, because I see it as easier to migrate to a connection that I see as being more worry free than to cure myself of my 'dog with a bone' tendencies when I think things ought to work better.

There are next to no errors on my connection, the BQM is flat and the TTB speed test reports jump about like a rabid terrier, when I'm switched from one IP address range to another.

P8 put me on a static IP address on Wednesday and all looked good

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

only for it to degrade to this:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

after TTB had requested leaving my router off for 30 minutes to clear all the sessions.

My BQM is here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f3dce2ba1e8...

TTB have given my connection a clean bill of health and are investigating the issue within their network and I intend to give them some time to do this.

It may not noticeably affect my day to day usage of the internet, but it sure is affecting my enjoyment of what should be a fully performant connection.

I'm more than happy to have a constructive discussion about this, if you feel you have something to add.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-17 13:16:43
Print Post

Sorry I'm not having a go at you or anything but genuinely curious to know why you are thinking of leaving P8 when technically speaking, there appears to be nothing wrong with your connection.

Since nothing in life is perfect, my guess is that the TBB test is giving you skewed results and you need to do further single v multi thread speedtests on a different platform. Perhaps use something like testmy.net and compare single v multi thread results there.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 10-Feb-17 13:19:46)

Standard User AdrianPH
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-17 13:17:30
Print Post

Jaydub , whatever you do, do NOT base your move on a TBB speed test. With the best will in the world my experiences with it are rubbish.

I showed you previously the TBB speed results from different browsers , taken a few seconds apart.

To get the result I posted earlier I had to dig out IE11 and run the alternative test, the newer test freezes, crashes or gives crazy results.

I have tried TBB speed tests from different devices and OS's and have never once seen a result I could trust or that was remotely like the speeds seen here.

A while back TBB was showing my ping as 115ms ........

If I need to check I use the BT wholesale tester, Speedtest.net and testmy.net , they give results that are pretty much the same, TBB is usually miles away.

You could be leaping ISP's all year for no reason at all.

testmy.net offers a variety of tests and servers , try some test there for comparison.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 13:55:29
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

TestMy.Net is my other reference site and does give me much better single thread speeds than the TBB single thread results.

I have found that the test downloads from various servers are much closer to the TBB results than the TestMy.Net ones. Not really tried their multithread test as it seems to want you to test against multiple world wide servers and the only time I tried that the speeds halved.

Will go back and try it again though.

TTB are very unwilling to use the TBB speed test as justification for investigating issues, but are definitely interested in why their own speed test is 10-15% down on where it normally is.

I won't be hopping ISPs. I'm far too tight fisted for a start. so it is one jump and if it's no better there at least I know I tried.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 14:00:41
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

No worries.

I've responded to your suggestions in my response to Adrian's as you are are pretty much on the same wavelength with your suggestions.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 19:28:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
TTB are very unwilling to use the TBB speed test as justification for investigating issues,

It's not always accurate, so can you blame them?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to