User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User icstm
(member) Tue 10-Oct-17 22:55:11
Print Post

Re: Community Fibre

[re: samcfl] [link to this post]

Thanks all for the info.
Let's hope some of their users also find their way here to post their experiences, issues, or other views.

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Oct-17 21:18:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
According to companies house they have been around for 7 years.

But have a look at their filing for 2016.

If I read that right they took in a little over £100K and made a loss for the year of over £1.3M. They also had £2M less cash in hand at the end of 2016 as they did in 2015. You might want to dig a little in to their history on companies house as that to me doesn't suggest a company that is going to be around for much longer.

£50 for res but £300 for biz!? I bet they don't have many if any business customers with those figures.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Oct-17 08:40:44
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Maybe the business option is an uncontended product (ie more like a lease line)? Interestingly if I click on "Buy now" on the £300 business option it takes me to a form to fill in but it only seems to have the residential packages listed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Thu 19-Oct-17 10:06:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4568369-...

Looking at the links, supplied earlier in the forum. This company works with councils to supply fibre to residential properties.
As for finance. It has recently received £11 million funding to enable expansion.
Appears to be a Hyperoptic type model.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Oct-17 10:32:35
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Yes, I saw that but not sure how it relates to what I said?
Standard User Ozil_416
(learned) Wed 25-Jul-18 14:21:02
Print Post

[re: icstm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by icstm:
Thanks all for the info.
Let's hope some of their users also find their way here to post their experiences, issues, or other views.
I am now with CommunityFibre, been with them for around 6 months.

I was waiting years for BT to upgrade my cabinet, they finally completed the upgrade within a couple of weeks after i signed up with CommunityFibre and to my surprise i actually still can't get BT FTTC as i'm to far from the cabinet apparently, but at this point i didn't care as CommunityFibre was my saviour.

Like you i couldn't find much info on them either but overall i'm very happy with their service, I did have a intermittent connection issue (high latency) around 1 month in which lasted just over a month due to not happening all the time so was tricky to track but once it started to happen more often and get a bit worse when it happened it was resolved quickly by the support and technical teams at CommunityFibre.

beyond that there was two downtimes iirc due to 1. power outage and 2. really heavy rain both times the connection was back up fairly quick.

So yeah overall uptime and connection stability is solid especially compared to the ADSL2+ supplier my previous ISP had me on.

I'd definitely recommend/consider them if they are an option for you in your area.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Jul-18 15:06:15
Print Post

[re: Ozil_416] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ozil_416:
I was waiting years for BT to upgrade my cabinet, they finally completed the upgrade within a couple of weeks after i signed up with CommunityFibre and to my surprise i actually still can't get BT FTTC as i'm to far from the cabinet apparently, but at this point i didn't care as CommunityFibre was my saviour.

So yeah overall uptime and connection stability is solid especially compared to the ADSL2+ supplier my previous ISP had me on.

I'd definitely recommend/consider them if they are an option for you in your area.
That implies that you are on FTTC, just not BT.

If so, you would be able to get FTTC from BT, but not Infinity. They don't supply it to people with estimates below 15Mbps. Simples. It's a marketing trick to give Infinity a higher average than competitors in the same area. Instead they offer "Faster Broadband", which they don't really advertise. It is in their Price List.

I expect many other ISPs are also available to you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 68543/12313Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Ozil_416
(learned) Wed 25-Jul-18 17:47:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Ozil_416:

That implies that you are on FTTC, just not BT.

If so, you would be able to get FTTC from BT, but not Infinity. They don't supply it to people with estimates below 15Mbps. Simples. It's a marketing trick to give Infinity a higher average than competitors in the same area. Instead they offer "Faster Broadband", which they don't really advertise. It is in their Price List.

I expect many other ISPs are also available to you.
I checked a few other ISPs a while back and i'm not able to get FTTC anywhere that i looked, BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone etc

It was only to see what my options at the time were for FTTC in case the service provided by CommunityFibre wasn't reliable etc. but it's going fine, at least for now but i hope it stays fine.

with that said no harm in knowing what your options are.

I wasn't able to find this 'Faster broadband' you mention.

Did do another BT checker and the only FTTx that it is mentioned is 'FTTP on Demand - 330/30 - Available' which seems to be only offered by very few niche ISPs and very expensive setup/monthly costs.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Jul-18 19:42:00
Print Post

[re: Ozil_416] [link to this post]

Ummm. I hadn't realised they've dropped the "Infinity" branding, so maybe the under 15Mbps FTTC option doesn't exist any more.

I can't see any mention of it in the "Tariff Guide", not even in the "Products we no longer sell" section. But Infinity isn't there either!

Sorry for misleading you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 68543/12313Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Ozil_416
(learned) Fri 27-Jul-18 15:03:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ummm. I hadn't realised they've dropped the "Infinity" branding, so maybe the under 15Mbps FTTC option doesn't exist any more.

I can't see any mention of it in the "Tariff Guide", not even in the "Products we no longer sell" section. But Infinity isn't there either!

Sorry for misleading you.
No problem at all.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to