User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Oct-17 18:53:01
Print Post

Origin Broadband

[link to this post]

Any "updates" on Origin?

Found a couple of posts, but they seem to be very low key.

Looking to swap from Sky as coming to the end of my contract and Plusnet want to charge me for going back, but Origin don't. Not quite sure how that works. Is there actually a cost involved and do some ISPs absorb this and some don't or are Plusnet just out to make money for Openreach? smile

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Oct-17 20:11:11
Print Post

Re: Origin Broadband

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

£11 migration charge (plus VAT) but if this is fttc usually loads of offers with no setup fee

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Oct-17 20:34:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So £50 is taking the Micheal?

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Oct-17 20:56:46
Print Post

New customers can get free setup on the up to 38 Mbps service https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/plusnet but without seeing all the details and how long you've not been a customer of theirs difficult to say for sure...

Maybe you should go find out what other providers will charge you to move to them

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 24-Oct-17 11:11:19
Print Post

From what I can determine Origin are a plusnet reseller.

My parents are on a bog standard ADSL service with them. Currently syncing at 448000 / 576000. Customer service is slow. I reported a line fault on Thursday with them, and only yesterday did they both to get back to say "Oh, we've decided an engineer is required, when are you in?" and they did via an email to my parents - who's internet connection is very unstable, and the line is very crackly.

If you have a decent line and don't expect to have issues then they may be fair game.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Oct-17 17:58:52
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
Customer service is slow.

Plusnet was about an hour's wait on the phone when I was with them a year ago.

Do they use Plusnet for their support?

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Oct-17 18:28:37
Print Post

HTH? :-

Sky 12 mth contract from Dec 2016
Plusnet 12 mth contract from Dec 2015
EE Mar 2015 to Nov 2015
New Call Telecom 12 mth contract from Jan 2014
Plusnet Jan 2012 to June 2014

===========
Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 24-Oct-17 19:09:30
Print Post

They seem to use their own staff for support. At least plusnet were somewhat quicker at attempting to resolve issues - getting an engineer out never really seemed to be an issue.

In this case a demolished telegraph pole and a really crackly line which has dropped its sync by 66% (when it works) and they are still dragging their feet frown

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Oct-17 10:26:14
Print Post

Returning to an ISP within 12 months of leaving can often mean the best deals are not available, i.e. limits in place to stop people exploiting the cashback offers etc

In other thread it has been suggested that the £50 might be down to you opting for a monthly contract, rather than the usual 12 to 18 months

Standard User TooUnCool
(newbie) Wed 25-Oct-17 16:44:30
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

I stupidly moved to these guys from BT in rural Norfolk thinking "hey, they all use the same copper" and the speed is so [censored] anyway, how much difference could it make?

They are truly awful, I heard nothing from them regarding a live date from the day I subscribed only to be told, when I called them (more on that to come) that my live date was 2 days prior. This was patent b/s as my BT service was still live. It took ages to get this sorted out, each time you call them (yes, their own staff, nothing to do with Plusnet) you are on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes.

By the time I realised this was just going to be a world of hurt and wanted to move back to BT, I was told that I was out of my cooling off period and, effectively "bad luck, you are stuck with us".

There is a lot of information on other forums and a Twitter group dedicated to Origin, I doubt they have a single satisfied customer.

Not that I have an opinion, mind you....8-))
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to