User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 12:22:48
Print Post

Re: Origin Broadband

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But there doesn't seem to be more than a couple of complaints on here. I would have expected at least a few.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Oct-17 13:21:53
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

The "question" was a bit "tongue in cheek" really.

I know but I thought I would explore it as it is an issue that is very widespread and means that people who regularly shop around and challenge get good deals but those that don't end up paying a lot more. I used to just pay Sky whatever their standard price was but then I decided if loads of other people are getting discounts then I am just being stupid not getting them myself.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 13:28:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Everyone pays really. wink

The lazy in cold cash and those that do some work in time, effort and sometimes loss of service. frown

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 26-Oct-17 15:36:33
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

BT engineer came out and cut the line off complete and marked the job as completed - but fixed the service for the pub opposite (so that their card reader worked again). Guess that is the benefit of being a business customer!

Origin phoned my parents (obviously as the line was dead it went to VM) and left a message saying "Please call us if you have further issues". I only know this as I've been having a twitter conversation with Origin.

Phoned them back up, 3 minutes to get answered (not bad), and now in the queue for tech level 2 so that I can re-raise the fault, but there are 6 ppl in front of me. Good job I'm on leave today as this might take some time!!

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User Naveen
(newbie) Mon 25-Dec-17 19:02:13
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

I have been with Origin on an 18 months fixed which was cheapest at the time but they have recently done cheaper offers.

Since I complained about 1.5 months ago things have improved a lot, before was real bad. The line will still occasionally drop (seems Asus router freeze to be fair) but always comes up within a few mins. Now acceptable.

Having said that never had a problem with Sky and only 1 with plus net over 2-4 years.

If you are having trouble make a complaint.

Hth
Standard User Naveen
(newbie) Thu 11-Jan-18 07:21:18
Print Post

[re: Naveen] [link to this post]

As a follow up while service is better now having complained it's still pretty slow at times, and I get weird errors on some browsers with things like Twitter video and even pictures failing to load. I have never had this kind of problem with other ISPs. I cannot recommend these folk at all and am looking to move, though that would mean eating around £95 of my current package.

Can anyone comment on Origin Fibre? I suspect it will be more of the same problems, but if I can upgrade and it's at least better that would be an option.

Failing that, there is new legislation to get out of a contract if the service level is bad I believe. Any tips on getting on with this process? I suspect it will be not possible as service at least stays up now even if it is below the par.

And finally, if I just up and move, who's a good fibre provider in the UK? I would like 70 ish MB but 38 would also be fine.

Thanks !
Standard User adrenalize_
(newbie) Thu 11-Jan-18 11:18:48
Print Post

[re: Naveen] [link to this post]

I'd guess (educated) that Origin Fibre will be the same - from my own connection and a few threads and posts on here.

I've been with them for about 2.5 years now and it has been a real mixed bag of service. Initially I was on a PlusNet white label/resold connection and it was great. Customer service quick, my only couple of calls to tech support not too bad. No congestion all day every day etc. (Better than the PlusNet I moved from and they forgot to charge early exit fee as it didn't look like migration!!)

When I moved house 18 months ago Origin tried to diddle me out of my prepaid line rental and also changed me to resold Vodafone. All was OK initially although I wanted to regrade from 40/10 to 80/20 when my contract renewed in early 2017. This is when they seemed to go downhill greatly.

2 months to regrade and now fairly bad congestion at peak. The main problem is single thread which does affect video streaming. Tech support start looking at things but generally just eventually close the calls.

They have also overcharged me and it was a battle to get that sorted/ refunded.

There are only a few threads on here, but you will also often see a few more customers (like me) chime up in the various threads.

My VDSL line to the cab is super stable and can hit the theoretical max off peak so I'm fairly sure it's congestion. Trouble is as the end user it is hard to tell where, my exchange, backhaul or ISP kit.

I guess the average punter just puts up with it and might not notice, you can still stream, it just drops the quality usually and multi thread tests usually look "OK" hence it can be a challenge getting tech support to understand the issue. Almost makes me wonder if it some sort of traffic shaping or ISP kit congestion as multithread tests aren't too bad.

Voda broadband have increased their subscriber base a lot in 2017 - so I wonder if they are struggling with capacity and not to mention that in general there has been massive growth in the bandwidth subscribers are using due to the growth in 4K, Netflix etc etc

I know it is the cheapest end of the market but makes me nervous that if I jump ship to a "better" ISP and it is the backhaul (only BTw and TT on my rural exchange) the problems won't go away.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Jan-18 15:48:21
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

May only be two wholesale backhauls, but the congestion may not be at the exchange level but at the point where providers pay for a specific capacity for all their customers i.e. at a regional node for example

Different QoS levels can be paid for with TalkTalk Wholesale for sure

The trick is to see how others behave on the same exchange and technology as you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Thu 11-Jan-18 15:52:19
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

My current situation with Origin on a 76/20 deal shows pretty much the same symptoms (laid out in boring detail elsewhere on the Forum) although sometimes with very low overall download speeds not just single threaded at the peak congestion times.

My experience has been that once you get through to Tech Support the people on the desk are normally helpful and appear to know what they are doing rather than just reading a script but you need patience and an ability to suffer some awful music while you wait for your call to get to the top of the queue. We had a total internet dropout for about 45 minutes in the day time earlier this week and I was still in the queue to report it when the service returned. When I have raised the problem Origin have managed to cure the single thread issues for short periods but the problem reverts within a week or two.

If I can't get out of the contract before time due to unsatisfactory service, I will need to seriously think about moving to another supplier at the end of the contract period even if it costs more. The only trouble is that being on a small rural Market A exchange there is the danger of jumping out of the frying pan only to land in the fire.
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Fri 12-Jan-18 00:57:04
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Torn between laughing and crying.

My Broadband Ping for 11-12/01/18

Edited by GonePostal (Fri 12-Jan-18 09:50:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to