User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jan-18 01:18:33
Print Post

Re: Origin Broadband

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Torn between laughing and crying.

BQM for 11/01/18

That's pretty poor.

(Not my original thoughts, but this one will get past the decency filter!!)
Standard User MatHal
(newbie) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:27:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
When I have raised the problem Origin have managed to cure the single thread issues for short periods but the problem reverts within a week or two.

Like GonePostal I'm wishing I could get out of my Origin contract without losing money.
After months of complaining I finally got a message to say they had found and rectified a fault, though they did not say where. It certainly was not a line fault as this line worked well with previous providers and the issues arose the day Origin took over.
After their fault rectification the sync speed stayed exactly as before but the congestion type issues did improve, though only for a few weeks. Things are now slowly returning to being as bad as previously, though I've not had many total dropouts in service, as I was getting before. Simple web-sites are taking inordinate lengths of time to load and the single thread download test is often dropping to under 3mbps.
At 'peak' times it's difficult to get any decent resolution video to play and slowness persists all evening, right up to midnight.
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Fri 12-Jan-18 21:39:00
Print Post

[re: MatHal] [link to this post]

Things have hit a new low tonight. We are on a 76/20 deal and sync'd at 74661/19999. I've just run a TBB speedtest over ethernet cable which showed:

Download (single thread) 0.6Mbps
Download (multithread) 4.3Mbps
Upload 0.5Mbps

The BQM has been showing massive congestion since about 16:30 today.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Sat 13-Jan-18 09:38:50
Print Post

For comparison a test this morning shows:

Download (single thread) 64.6Mbps
Download (multithread) 67.9Mbps
Upload 16.4Mbps

Those results are consistent with what has been returned every morning.

The moral seems to be that anyone who wishes to use their internet connection for any more than the basics in the evening should avoid this provider.

Edited by GonePostal (Sat 13-Jan-18 09:40:58)

Standard User radiodan
(newbie) Sat 13-Jan-18 10:52:39
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
TBH, I've yet to find an excellent ISP, but then again I always go for the budget option. wink

You get what you pay for in life i'm afraid wink

Dan
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Jan-18 11:18:53
Print Post

[re: radiodan] [link to this post]

Not always smile. But always buying the cheapest is extremely unlikely to result in a good product on broadband, never mind “excellent”. Something has to give, be it sync, throughout, CS, and in particular fault fixing.

Does “excellent” even exist in the consumer broadband market? I don’t think so. Even with my ISP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74496/13801Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Tue 16-Jan-18 21:11:03
Print Post

In fairness I should report that for the last three evenings the BQM has shown barely a flicker of instabililty and the speed test results have been in line with the normal speeds recorded outside the peak congestion hours.

Let's hope it continues.
Standard User MatHal
(newbie) Tue 16-Jan-18 22:35:42
Print Post

[re: radiodan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by radiodan:
In reply to a post by hk11:
TBH, I've yet to find an excellent ISP, but then again I always go for the budget option. wink

You get what you pay for in life i'm afraid wink

Dan

Unfortunately my issue with Origin is that I'm not getting what I paid for and never have!
At its best I get about 50-60% of the speed I got with previous providers - I was not told that when I signed up. Quite often there is very obvious congestion that makes a lot of web-sites unusable and that can continue from early evening to midnight or later.

This morning I spent 2 hours or more experiencing an issue I've had before where the DSL syncs and I'm allocated an IP but it's impossible to access any web-site. It's possible to ping servers such as Google's DNS but nothing more. Eventually, after lots of router resets and other assorted playing around I got things working (with the original settings, of course).
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jan-18 13:17:24
Print Post

I am still glD I opted for Plusnet and not Origin when my contract with Sky ended. wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to