User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Oct-17 18:53:01
Print Post

Origin Broadband

[link to this post]

Any "updates" on Origin?

Found a couple of posts, but they seem to be very low key.

Looking to swap from Sky as coming to the end of my contract and Plusnet want to charge me for going back, but Origin don't. Not quite sure how that works. Is there actually a cost involved and do some ISPs absorb this and some don't or are Plusnet just out to make money for Openreach? smile

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Oct-17 20:11:11
Print Post

Re: Origin Broadband

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

£11 migration charge (plus VAT) but if this is fttc usually loads of offers with no setup fee

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Oct-17 20:34:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So £50 is taking the Micheal?

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Oct-17 20:56:46
Print Post

New customers can get free setup on the up to 38 Mbps service https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/plusnet but without seeing all the details and how long you've not been a customer of theirs difficult to say for sure...

Maybe you should go find out what other providers will charge you to move to them

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 24-Oct-17 11:11:19
Print Post

From what I can determine Origin are a plusnet reseller.

My parents are on a bog standard ADSL service with them. Currently syncing at 448000 / 576000. Customer service is slow. I reported a line fault on Thursday with them, and only yesterday did they both to get back to say "Oh, we've decided an engineer is required, when are you in?" and they did via an email to my parents - who's internet connection is very unstable, and the line is very crackly.

If you have a decent line and don't expect to have issues then they may be fair game.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Oct-17 17:58:52
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
Customer service is slow.

Plusnet was about an hour's wait on the phone when I was with them a year ago.

Do they use Plusnet for their support?

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Oct-17 18:28:37
Print Post

HTH? :-

Sky 12 mth contract from Dec 2016
Plusnet 12 mth contract from Dec 2015
EE Mar 2015 to Nov 2015
New Call Telecom 12 mth contract from Jan 2014
Plusnet Jan 2012 to June 2014

===========
Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 24-Oct-17 19:09:30
Print Post

They seem to use their own staff for support. At least plusnet were somewhat quicker at attempting to resolve issues - getting an engineer out never really seemed to be an issue.

In this case a demolished telegraph pole and a really crackly line which has dropped its sync by 66% (when it works) and they are still dragging their feet frown

Speedtests:
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Oct-17 10:26:14
Print Post

Returning to an ISP within 12 months of leaving can often mean the best deals are not available, i.e. limits in place to stop people exploiting the cashback offers etc

In other thread it has been suggested that the £50 might be down to you opting for a monthly contract, rather than the usual 12 to 18 months

Standard User TooUnCool
(newbie) Wed 25-Oct-17 16:44:30
Print Post

I stupidly moved to these guys from BT in rural Norfolk thinking "hey, they all use the same copper" and the speed is so [censored] anyway, how much difference could it make?

They are truly awful, I heard nothing from them regarding a live date from the day I subscribed only to be told, when I called them (more on that to come) that my live date was 2 days prior. This was patent b/s as my BT service was still live. It took ages to get this sorted out, each time you call them (yes, their own staff, nothing to do with Plusnet) you are on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes.

By the time I realised this was just going to be a world of hurt and wanted to move back to BT, I was told that I was out of my cooling off period and, effectively "bad luck, you are stuck with us".

There is a lot of information on other forums and a Twitter group dedicated to Origin, I doubt they have a single satisfied customer.

Not that I have an opinion, mind you....8-))
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Oct-17 18:08:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Returning to an ISP within 12 months of leaving can often mean the best deals are not available, i.e. limits in place to stop people exploiting the cashback offers etc

I don't know why ISPs can't just give loyal customers the best deals they can, then we wouldn't have to keep changing! wink
In other thread it has been suggested that the £50 might be down to you opting for a monthly contract, rather than the usual 12 to 18 months

This has now increased to £60, due to an additional £10 for connecting or some such. frown

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Oct-17 18:09:26
Print Post

They must wear Openreach lead boots! LOL

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Oct-17 18:13:23
Print Post

[re: TooUnCool] [link to this post]

Interesting. Have you had any other ISP experience, apart from BT and Origin?

TBH, I've yet to find an excellent ISP, but then again I always go for the budget option. wink

===========
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Oct-17 19:01:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:

I don't know why ISPs can't just give loyal customers the best deals they can, then we wouldn't have to keep changing! wink
This has now increased to £60, due to an additional £10 for connecting or some such. frown

Often because these deals mean they make nothing or very little in hope that the customer stays with them for longer than the deal itself, or that the customer takes another service.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Oct-17 19:02:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
Where?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Wed 25-Oct-17 20:19:22
Print Post

Hi
I was with Origin and they were terrible, my friend is with them now and they just moved his line to talktalk LLU without any communication, not sure if this is something they are rolling out.
K
Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Wed 25-Oct-17 20:41:44
Print Post

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

I was with Origin for two years, the first 18 months when it seems I was using PlusNet were pretty much trouble free. Then they 'upgraded' their network, my speeds halved & after a couple of weeks recovered somewhat but in the evenings took a real dive making Netflix viewing difficult etc. I was really glad to see the back of them to be honest. But that is just my experience & of course others may be very different, I really hope they improve. I liked Brian Blessed on the phone dept. selection.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Oct-17 22:17:02
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Often because these deals mean they make nothing or very little in hope that the customer stays with them for longer than the deal itself, or that the customer takes another service.

I see the reasoning, but wonder if more thought should go into it?

Anyone any figures on retension percentages etc.? wink

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Oct-17 22:19:06
Print Post

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

Doesn't look too good. frown

I am surprised there aren't more stories on here, if this is the norm with them.

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Oct-17 22:21:01
Print Post

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

It seems to be getting more and more prevalent with ISPs unfortunately. frown

===========

Edited by hk11 (Wed 25-Oct-17 22:21:29)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Oct-17 22:22:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Where?

On the order.

They call it an activation fee.

===========
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Oct-17 22:26:22
Print Post

What length contract are you opting for?

Standard User MatHal
(newbie) Thu 26-Oct-17 00:39:53
Print Post

[re: TooUnCool] [link to this post]

I moved to Origin earlier in the year and have regretted it ever since.
After a nightmare transfer from Plusnet which took about 5 weeks (Plusnet's mess-up), I was eventually connected.
The ADSL sync speed with Origin is almost exactly 50% of what it was with Plusnet but the actual internet speed is often much worse than that. Often the 'single thread' speed measured on thinkbroadband's speed checker goes down to below 1Mbps in the evenings which makes watching video impossible. With Plusnet I consistently got around 12Mbps using the same router etc.
In the past week or so the internet is dropped completely and will not reconnect for hours on end, though the ADSL remeains connected and is never dropped.
My attempts to contact Origin have all had long waits resulting in my abandoning the attempt to get through.
Origin do not have a 'quiet line test' so it's impossible to check whether there is a faulty connection but, if there is, it's at the exchange end.
As with other ISP's I've used Origin claim an upload speed of 'up to' 2Mbps which is utterly impossible as they deliberately limit upload to about 700kbps!!
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 03:08:06
Print Post

12 month, if possible, although 18 month seems quite prevalent these days.

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 03:10:38
Print Post

[re: MatHal] [link to this post]

Can anone think why we haven't had more reports if Origin are so bad?

===========
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Oct-17 09:09:03
Print Post

I don't know why ISPs can't just give loyal customers the best deals they can, then we wouldn't have to keep changing

It only takes one company to give a retention deal and then everyone has to do it. And once they start doing it then prices of customers not on a deal have to go up to cross subsidise those that are.

It is no different to Sky TV, insurance companies, etc. They will all try and charge the standard price but if you attempt to leave then they will have specials they can offer to try and keep your custom. The only way to stop it would be to regulate the market but generally the government would rather natural competition to regulation.

The result is the people who don't ask end up paying much higher prices than those that do.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Oct-17 09:24:15
Print Post

If they only have 20,000 to 50,000 customers (guess) then the volume of posts is about right

PlusNet is in the million customer region

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Oct-17 10:41:22
Print Post

Plus of course, given that the main reason anyone posts about their ISP is a problem of some kind, once they have done so and the thread has run its course they go quiet. Only waking up again as in this thread, when the rare enquiry about the ISP comes up.

Mostly though they won't be monitoring these forums anyway so don't see the enquiry. Those of us who do are geeks.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 12:18:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The "question" was a bit "tongue in cheek" really. wink

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 12:20:04
Print Post

Ah, right.

Wasn't thinking that laterally. wink

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 12:22:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But there doesn't seem to be more than a couple of complaints on here. I would have expected at least a few.

===========
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Oct-17 13:21:53
Print Post

The "question" was a bit "tongue in cheek" really.

I know but I thought I would explore it as it is an issue that is very widespread and means that people who regularly shop around and challenge get good deals but those that don't end up paying a lot more. I used to just pay Sky whatever their standard price was but then I decided if loads of other people are getting discounts then I am just being stupid not getting them myself.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 13:28:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Everyone pays really. wink

The lazy in cold cash and those that do some work in time, effort and sometimes loss of service. frown

===========
Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 26-Oct-17 15:36:33
Print Post

BT engineer came out and cut the line off complete and marked the job as completed - but fixed the service for the pub opposite (so that their card reader worked again). Guess that is the benefit of being a business customer!

Origin phoned my parents (obviously as the line was dead it went to VM) and left a message saying "Please call us if you have further issues". I only know this as I've been having a twitter conversation with Origin.

Phoned them back up, 3 minutes to get answered (not bad), and now in the queue for tech level 2 so that I can re-raise the fault, but there are 6 ppl in front of me. Good job I'm on leave today as this might take some time!!

Speedtests:
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to