User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Vini
(regular) Sun 21-Jan-18 22:34:05
Print Post

Does Origin use BT Equipment?

[link to this post]

We’re looking at a property in a semi remote location. Speed tests show 9.5mbps on ‘broadband’ and 8.5-14mbps on Fibre. When using BT checkers.

Origin is available but don’t seem to offer any ‘guarantees’, and simply advertise up to 18/38/76 depending on the package. Unless I’m misreading it and that IS guaranteed??

My understanding of Origin, is that they were part of the now defunct Digital Region, which my understanding, laid their own dark fibre and operated their own network. I know DR died, but did Origin just switch to a normal BT reseller or??

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Jan-18 22:45:04
Print Post

Re: Does Origin use BT Equipment?

[re: Vini] [link to this post]

A normal BT reseller that also has some of its own LLU network and buys capacity from various places I believe

The 18/38/76 which I presume are ADSL2+ and FTTC are limited by the same physics that create the BT Wholesale speed estimates

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Tue 23-Jan-18 09:51:11
Print Post

When DR went kaput, I think they switched to reselling Plusnet, but I believe they also resell Vodafone too now, where available.

There's a few thread about Origin on here, I would have a search and a good read before diving in.

eclipse internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vini
(regular) Thu 25-Jan-18 17:29:20
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

I was only interested in Origin if they used their own dark fibre/had ways and means of delivering more than 8Mb that BT Wholesale suggests the property can receive.

I don't think I could move to a place with 8Mb so will probably have to scrub it from the list laugh laugh

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jan-18 18:57:28
Print Post

It depends what you want to do, I was in a remote area one summer for 3 months on a line synced at 8Mbps down at approx 400kbps upload with BT.

We could do 2 Netflix streams at once without an issue, whilst someone else was doing general web browsing, the Sky movie downloads were available to view in around 30 seconds on the Sky TV on HD setting, Youtube played fine, as did Amazon Instant Video which played in 1080P HD if we had no one else streaming, or just standard HD if someone else had Netflix going... We often FaceTimed with friends and other family, granted the picture was pixelated for the other person viewing us (due to our poor upload) but we could see the other party in good HD quality... The only slowdowns noticeable to me were on torrents or large PS4 downloads, but I just set the console to not go into power save and to download updates in the background + stay on WiFi on standby for updates, so when I turned it on I usually had the updates.

There were 4 of us using the internet. Nobody else really noticed any difference to the connection vs our home connection, but the rest were not tech savvy. Certainly had no complaints.

Not saying it's ideal, but 8Mbps is just enough for most activities to work ok, it's when you get down to 2/3Mbps that things start falling over. That being said, I know plenty of people in Canary Wharf London who have syncs lower than 3Mbps and we often nip over play Youtube videos on the TV all night and order pizza etc, seems to work alright.
Standard User Vini
(regular) Thu 25-Jan-18 20:24:33
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

My CCTV cameras occupy 5Mb upload, and that’s before I start streaming myself in chat rooms in super HD 🤣

I appreciate what your saying, but I’m a work from home IT guy, streaming radio 24/7 and Netflix 4K etc. To go from 80/20 to 8/1 in this day and age and for my lifestyle just wouldn’t really work.

But, equally, if the house IS ‘the one’ then speed of connection would be something I would be prepared to think about.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jan-18 20:42:23
Print Post

Work in IT also, your real isssue is going to be those cameras they simply won’t work.
Any 4K would be out of the question.

I think given you work from home a good connections almost a must. It’s unlikely to cut the mustard that speed.
Standard User Vini
(regular) Fri 26-Jan-18 02:46:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

8/1 would be ‘ok’ for work, given everything is RDP. But my toys - my smart home, my 4K, my lifestyle... I’m just not sure I could learn to live with ASDL speeds again. Heck even uploading the weekends photos to Flickr would literally take 20 times longer!

I guess there’s always FTTPoD (which is enabled on the exchange) as an option, albeit crazy expensive one. Given the neighbourhood it might interest a few parties so some of the costs could be split I guess.

Anyway, not even in the house yet. Let’s hope it’s not ‘the one’

Print Thread

Jump to