User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sun 02-Dec-18 18:02:13
Print Post

Pulse8 down?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Could I please just check if any Pulse8 FTTC peeps havebeen having trouble connecting this evening?

(Also, is there a status page anywhere?)

Thanks...

Pipex > Zen > Be > iDNet > Freeola > Zen > BT Infinity 1 > Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Mon 03-Dec-18 20:08:29
Print Post

Re: Pulse8 down?

[re: rich_jtg] [link to this post]

After getting in touch with Pulse8, it would appear the issue is probably at my end (tests say the line is fine).

Could anyone please give me any troubleshooting pointers as I'm running out of ideas?

I have stripped the network down to just the router, which is plugged into the test socket of the main phone socket with a different filter.

The router has been factory reset and the firmware reinstalled. Once the ISP settings have been entered, the router appears to sync (an IP address is allocated), but no service as such is present.

Trying to go online using a browser (have tried via wireless and direct ethernet cable on different devices), it generally brings up a 'page isn't working' message (empty response or timed out), however very occasionally, the browser will connect to a website, and very slowly (slower than dial up) will try to display the page but time out before completing.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Dec-18 20:26:43
Print Post

Cant help for this particular issue, but generally if you want to check if an issue is with P8 or with your connection, i tend to visit the Talk Talk forums. More users on there than what P8 have, and seeing as P8 is basically a Talk Talk connection, if there are any network issues there will be posts on there.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Dec-18 21:35:35
Print Post

Does a landline phone work?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Mon 03-Dec-18 21:39:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for your reply...

Yes, the landline appears to be working ok, with no evident noise on the line.

Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Mon 03-Dec-18 21:41:07
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Thanks for the heads up. Are all Pulse8 lines with TT? I only ask as I don't think TT is available around here.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Dec-18 23:37:40
Print Post

All Pulse8 broadband is TalkTalk Business Wholesale. They do straight Openreach WLR3 if anyone wants just a landline. I have that from them.

Which exchange are you one? There aren't many without TalkTalk these days smile.

The fact your phone works is good in a way, and bad in another. If it didn't, the broadband could still function in a very degraded way as you described, if one leg of the pair was connected but the other had become disconnected for one reason or another. (I forget whether it is the A or B leg that lets it work a bit).

As the phone does work, and the ISP's line test says it's fine, ummm frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 03-Dec-18 23:38:40)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-18 10:04:07
Print Post

Does the router you are using have a status log? Would be worth checking that to see if there are any errors being reported.
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Fri 07-Dec-18 17:39:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Apologies for the delay in replying folks - not the easiest when you don't have a connection and live in the sticks with limited mobile access. smile

So after a lot of line tests and router setting checking with the helpful people at Pulse8, it was decided an Openreach visit would be required.

Received confirmation yesterday afternoon saying that they would be coming on Saturday... got home in the evening to find the connection fully working.

Obviously, good to be online again, but seems an odd coincidence.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 07-Dec-18 23:38:56
Print Post

I imagine an engineer attended today and didn't need home access. It could have been anywhere in the system and their remote diagnostics found it.

Print Thread

Jump to