User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
  Print Thread
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-May-10 14:44:39
Print Post

relay.plus.net

[link to this post]

I'm migrating to plusnet and had a quick query about relay.plus.net.

I currently use a 3rd party email provider but use my current ISP's SMTP server for outbound mail.

Can I do the same with plusnet? Does relay.plus.net require authentication? Will it relay messages sent from my own domain name (as opposed to @username.plus.com addresses)?
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 24-May-10 09:13:53
Print Post

Re: relay.plus.net

[re: xela] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Using your current ISPs SMTP server will depend on their settings - usually SMTP servers are locked to their respective ISPs IP addresses however if they allow authentication you aill most likely be alright.

Our relay server doesn't require authentication (though it is an option if you wish) and yes it will relay messages sent from your own domain.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-May-10 10:48:34
Print Post

[re: xela] [link to this post]

Plusnet's sever doesn't require authentication if you are on a subscription account (i.e. not dialup PAYG) and are using the Plusnet connection. Otherwise you have to use authentication using your main account login and password.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-May-10 12:40:09
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

As I understand it, Plusnet does not restrict port 25 outgoing to their own servers. Many ISP's do this as an anti-spam measure, is this something Plusnet are looking at? The reason being that I am hesitant to help people who use Plusnet access third-party servers on port 25, just in case Plusnet add this restriction in future as it seems to be the way many ISP's are going.

Oliver.
O2 Help
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-May-10 15:45:17
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Our relay server doesn't require authentication (though it is an option if you wish) and yes it will relay messages sent from your own domain.

Cheers, that's the answer I was looking for.

Thanks all. smile

(I realise my question could have been clearer... No, I'm not looking to continue using newnet's SMTP server, I was wondering if I could use plusnet's in the same way i.e. relaying outbound mail from my own domain.)
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Tue 25-May-10 15:37:51
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
As I understand it, Plusnet does not restrict port 25 outgoing to their own servers. Many ISP's do this as an anti-spam measure, is this something Plusnet are looking at?

No.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Tue 25-May-10 15:54:32
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

What I don't understand is why the OP isn't using their email host SMTP anyway. Even if the previous ISP blocked port 25 to them, any decent host has at least one alternative port.

Then the question wouldn't arise. Unless it was Tiscali as I believe they also block the most common alternative.

Bob's broadband basic info/help site:
www.robertos.me.uk
ISP history: Demon dialup >> Freeserve dialup >> BT Broadband >> Prodigynet >> Newnet >> O2 Standard.
Domains,web and mail hosting history: Purple Cloud >> Tsohost.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-May-10 16:40:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What I don't understand is why the OP isn't using their email host SMTP anyway. Even if the previous ISP blocked port 25 to them, any decent host has at least one alternative port.

I find it annoying that O2 don't offer an alternative port for SMTP, despite the fact that their SMTP server is authenticated by user/pass. But that's a subject for another forum/day I suppose.

Oliver.
O2 Help
  Print Thread

Jump to