User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikej
(experienced) Sat 15-Jan-11 01:59:16
Print Post

PS3 gaming problems on PlusNet Pro

[link to this post]

Hi folks,
I'm suffering frequent disconnections when playing GT5 online on the PS3 - it happened about 4 times in about 2 hours tonight, which is obviously very frustrating.

I was playing with 5 other people and not one of them suffered a single disconnection in all that time.

My router log shows one 'LCP down' entry which may indicate that it lost sync on one of those occasions, but not the others.

The PS3 is hard-wired to the router and my download speed is a pretty constant 9.5Mb, however my pings are 77ms which sound a little high to me (used to be 20-30ms before I upgraded to ADSL2+)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try before I report this as a fault ?

Does interleaving affect this ?

My PC : Intel i7 920, ASUS P6T, 2x3GB Corsair DDR3, 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDDs, ASUS HD4870DK, Pioneer DVR-216DBK DVD-RW, Corsair TX-650 PSU, Antec 300 case, Windows 7 (64-bit)

My ADSL : PlusNet Pro, Netgear DG834G router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Jan-11 09:23:45
Print Post

Re: PS3 gaming problems on PlusNet Pro

[re: mikej] [link to this post]

Interleaving adds 20ms or so to latency.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User wingco1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jan-11 12:38:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Where does that leave the sub 20ms tracerts on my mates interleaved Sky unlimited line?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User paddyclark
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Jan-11 12:50:03
Print Post

Re: PS3 gaming problems on PlusNet Pro *DELETED*

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Post deleted by paddyclark
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Jan-11 13:52:29
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Negative.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User mikej
(experienced) Sat 15-Jan-11 16:48:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Interleaving adds 20ms or so to latency.

Thanks. I know that high pings (high latency) mean you get gaming lag, but could they also affect stability while gaming ?

My fellow gamers said they kept seeing the message [MY USERNAME]'S NETWORK CONNECTION IS UNSTABLE" so I think this points towards my connection rather than the GT5 servers or the PS Network itself, but I'm not convinced that my router is losing sync every time I get kicked off, so what else could be going on ?

Any other tips on what to try would be appreciated.

My PC : Intel i7 920, ASUS P6T, 2x3GB Corsair DDR3, 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDDs, ASUS HD4870DK, Pioneer DVR-216DBK DVD-RW, Corsair TX-650 PSU, Antec 300 case, Windows 7 (64-bit)

Standard User mikej
(experienced) Sat 22-Jan-11 00:05:13
Print Post

Well I've been trying to play GT5 online again tonight and got disconnected from the GT5 lobby I was playing in 6 times in the last 2 & 1/2 hours, including 4 times in the last 20 minutes.

Again, no-one else I was playing with suffered a single disconnection.

There is also no evidence of my router losing sync at any of those times.

I can only conclude from this that the 'Pro' package is not suitable for gaming !

I'm off to raise this as a fault now.

frown

Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jan-11 02:18:46
Print Post

To be honest, plusnet value, extra and pro are totally rubbish services! That's plusnet for you.

Edited by adslmax (Sat 22-Jan-11 02:19:29)

Standard User paddyclark
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jan-11 14:22:22
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

And your direct experience of the service is? or just trolling this forum NOW...

Now a Virgin 10mb customer... based on price of package plus speed giving my rural exchange.

Previously Plusnet for 6 years and only left for the higher speed cable offered..

(Zero Refferals) - Anti semantic..
  Print Thread

Jump to