User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fens
(learned) Thu 17-Feb-11 15:12:48
Print Post

Dead slow

[link to this post]

Hello

I've been with Plusnet for about a year and things have been good, However the last week or so things have really slowed up now and then. Used to be quite consistent with speeds etc. Now can vary between 6000 Kbps and dialup speeds.
Just done a bt speedtest for the second day running with similar results. Evenings seems a bit better at about 1500-2000. Still really a lot below par. Here's the bt speedtester info:

Download Speed
357 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 357 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

Nothing changed on any of my home wiring/settings.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Feb-11 16:25:47
Print Post

Re: Dead slow

[re: Fens] [link to this post]

Download speedachieved during the test was - 357 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

As the download speed of 357 Kbps is NOT within the acceptable range of speeds of 600-7150 Kbps then it's best to contact PN as the result would suggest a fault, however before doing that it's best to connect to the TEST socket within the BT master socket and do the speed test again to eliminate any issues with wiring and extensions in the house, as Customer Service may ask you to do that several times at differing hours of day partly to check if there is any congestion at the exchange.

Old style and New style Master sockets

The TEST socket is the one at the back.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Alastair

omadasafisho
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Thu 17-Feb-11 17:05:08
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Hi Fens,

It'd be a great help as far as investigating this issue goes if you could do as apprentice suggests above, but in addition if you're happy to PM me your username or a ticket ID I'd be happy to take a look at your account and see if there's anything going on?

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User heyitskiwi
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 19:27:21
Print Post

I'm also having a similar problem at the moment. It only started doing this yesterday evening. My speed is absolutely fine in off-peak hours

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1154393617.png

but as soon as peak time starts

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1161985996.png

It's so bad, I can't even do regular browsing. I called up Plusnet's technical support earlier, and I was directed to the BT Speedtest site. I did two tests, the second about an hour after the first, like I was told, and the results show speeds suggesting that there's nothing wrong (around 5500kbps out of a possible 7000kbps, can't remember the exact figures).

Any suggestions?
(isp) Fri 18-Feb-11 08:48:51
Print Post

[re: heyitskiwi] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Happy to check your account and make sure everything's alright there, if you drop me a PM with a username or ticket ID?

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User james26
(member) Fri 18-Feb-11 09:27:46
Print Post

Hi
I had same issuess around Xmas time, and it turns out it was my router a netgear dg834 v3. They dont like adsl2 which went live for me in December, it's a know prOblme with those routers and the chipsets in them.

New router netgear dgn2200, synced at 6000 odd for way past 35 days, and good speed of 5mb. Worth a try of your hardware? The old dg834 was 5 years and never missed a beet so not bad.

James

Argonet from dial-up days.
Pipex from 512k days > Max
Then Madasafish.
Now with Plusnet on ADSL2.
Netgear DGN2200
Running MacOS 10.6 with MacPro (wired), MacBook Air & iBook.
Standard User Fens
(learned) Fri 18-Feb-11 09:46:46
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Hello

Thanks for the suggestions. I will test with the master socket over the weekend as a bit pushed right now. I'll post the results.

I notice from the exchange checker link this result ...

red Virtual paths: Red

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 31 Mar 11

I would be surprised if this was my router, as it has been fine for a year, but you never know. I'll do the master socket test first then we can see where we stand. Still slow this morning.

Thanks Orbrey, I will PM to you my username so you can check in the meantime.

Thanks.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Feb-11 10:54:27
Print Post

You will need to run some more BT speed tests, one when speeds are good and at least one one when they are really bad so that the speed achieved is outside of the acceptable range. Plusnet will then be able to put pressure on BT to increase the VP capacity sooner rather than later.

The other possibility is if 21CN WBC is available on your exchange - switching over to that would be very likely to cure your problem.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
(isp) Fri 18-Feb-11 13:13:59
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Hi there,

The line profile is fine and there's no disconnections so it's pretty much a certainty that it's the VP status that's causing this. I'd say definitely run some speed tests as jelv suggests and raise us a speed fault at http://faults.plus.net - we'll be able to get that escalated and prove the impact of the issue there which should hopefully get things moving.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
Standard User heyitskiwi
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 14:59:05
Print Post

Re: Dead slow *DELETED*

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Post deleted by heyitskiwi
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to