User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ash76
(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 10:07:19
Print Post

Why has my speed become so fast?

[link to this post]

In the past week there has been a significant jump in my speed.
I now get download speeds of 11Mbps and an upload of 1Mbps.
The only change I have made recently is to my computer.
I have upgraded Vista to Windows 7.
This has transformed a slug of a computer into a butterfly.
I would however be surprised to learn that this could also affect my Internet speed.
Is this possible, or is there some other reason?

Edited by ash76 (Mon 28-Feb-11 10:17:43)

Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 28-Feb-11 12:26:20
Print Post

Re: Why has my speed become so fast?

[re: ash76] [link to this post]

Is it possible that you have been upgraded to ADSL2+ (21CN)? I received an email about this a couple of days ago, saying it would happen in the next 5 weeks.

Kevin

Plusnet Extra
Using OpenDNS
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 28-Feb-11 13:08:34
Print Post

[re: ash76] [link to this post]

Hi there,

If you're happy to PM me a username or ticket ID I'll happily take a look and let you know of any recent changes to your account?

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 28-Feb-11 15:20:08
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

That's another e-mail I didn't get. madwink

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User ash76
(regular) Mon 07-Mar-11 14:26:56
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Thanks, but as my speed is still very fast I will just leave things as it is.
I would hate for anyone to change something,
wink

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Standard User ash76
(regular) Mon 07-Mar-11 14:31:27
Print Post

Thanks. I suppose that is possible.
But I have not received any notification about that change.
I have also noticed that when I now do the Think Broadband Speed test
it recognises me as using Madasafish when previously I was correctly seen as PlusNet.
I believe they are both part of the same group, so that is another possibility.

Edited by ash76 (Mon 07-Mar-11 14:43:08)

Standard User Wagstaff
(member) Mon 11-Apr-11 15:36:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
I received an email about this a couple of days ago, saying it would happen in the next 5 weeks.

I think I've received a similar email, Kevin.

Did your email say: "We have good news for you. The exchange equipment we use to provide your service has now been upgraded, and we can offer you a faster 'upto 20Mb' service. You don't need to do anything, and we'll switch you over automatically, for free. We expect this to happen within the next 5 weeks."?

Did you also get this rider: "Please note: you may receive messages advising on the progress of your order over the next 5 weeks. If you receive a message notifying you that the order has failed, don't worry - you don't need to contact us and your service will continue as normal."?

I don't know why they refer to "your order" - I haven't placed an order !! And I don't understand why they didn't just send an email advising the date of the switchover, but only if it was going to happen.

Wagstaff

"A fact can trump the ace of hunches"
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Mon 11-Apr-11 16:48:10
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

While you didn't 'place an order' and only want to know switchover date if it is possible, I suspect the process being used is as if the customer asked PN to do the upgrade, PN submits the order into the BT / Openreach systsem for action by their engineers, and later get a response, either (a) confirming it went OK, or (b) saying the order failed.

PN then feeds back the result to the customer, so while it may appear a bit clunky or even, perhaps, confusing, as you are not 'placing an order' I'd say it seems quite easy enough to understand why a message may mention an "order" you didn't make, and also that it's not so simple to only tell you the switchover date without also confirming completion of the work (or how there was a problem instead).
Standard User Wagstaff
(member) Mon 11-Apr-11 17:53:26
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ultra:
...... so while it may appear a bit clunky or even, perhaps, confusing, as you are not 'placing an order".......

I would say that it is more than "a bit clunky" !!

Surely, the process should follow like this :-
Openreach advise all ISPs, using a particular exchange, that an upgrade has taken place. The ISPs then respond by asking Openreach whether all their particular local loops will be affected by the upgrade. If the response is negative then the ISPs need not advise their customers about the upgrade, since it has no affect whatsoever. If the response is positive then the ISPs can advise their customers accordingly.

Wagstaff

"A fact can trump the ace of hunches"
Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:00:45
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wagstaff:
In reply to a post by kasg:
I received an email about this a couple of days ago, saying it would happen in the next 5 weeks.

I think I've received a similar email, Kevin.

Did your email say: "We have good news for you. The exchange equipment we use to provide your service has now been upgraded, and we can offer you a faster 'upto 20Mb' service. You don't need to do anything, and we'll switch you over automatically, for free. We expect this to happen within the next 5 weeks."?

Did you also get this rider: "Please note: you may receive messages advising on the progress of your order over the next 5 weeks. If you receive a message notifying you that the order has failed, don't worry - you don't need to contact us and your service will continue as normal."?

I don't know why they refer to "your order" - I haven't placed an order !! And I don't understand why they didn't just send an email advising the date of the switchover, but only if it was going to happen.

Wagstaff

Plusnet seem to treat lots of things as orders or requests even when they have been raised internally. Yes, I got all that and it did eventually happen, although I don't think I received any active notification, I just happened to notice it playing up one day then checked the tickets and saw that information about an activation date had been added. Anyway it settled down after an hour or so and I had clearly been upgraded as my protocol had changed to G.DMT2+ Annex A and my attenuation had gone from over 54dB to over 60db! In general it's been a slight improvement and I have been syncing at over 4 meg for most of the time (slightly more often than I did before), until a couple of days ago when it dropped to 3 Meg but I expect it will be back up again. I didn't expect much improvement on my long line and it's only a stepping stone to FTTC, which is now actually available to me (31.2Mb estimate) according to the BT Wholesale checker, but I've no idea where my cabinet is!

Kevin

Plusnet Extra
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to