User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikej
(experienced) Sat 05-Mar-11 11:30:23
Print Post

Fibre trials - latest news ?

[link to this post]

BT are trying to get me to sign up to BT Infinity (FTTC is now available at my address) - what's the latest news with the PlusNet FTTC trials ?

I need a new router at the moment (no point in buying an ADSL router if I might move over to fibre) and I'm tempted with the BT offers, but would prefer to stay with PlusNet (and retain my referral discounts) if possible.

Most of the posts on this subject are from last year, so I was wondering what the latest news is, re: pricing, availability (etc) from PlusNet ?

My PC : Intel i7 920, ASUS P6T, 2x3GB Corsair DDR3, 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDDs, ASUS HD4870DK, Pioneer DVR-216DBK DVD-RW, Corsair TX-650 PSU, Antec 300 case, Windows 7 (64-bit)

My ADSL : PlusNet Pro, Netgear DG834G router
Standard User petervaughan
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Mar-11 11:53:45
Print Post

Re: Fibre trials - latest news ?

[re: mikej] [link to this post]

http://community.plus.net/blog/2011/01/26/plusnet-fi...

- Peter

--
plusnetADSL Plusnet Pro Customer on FTTC trial
Plusnet Usergroup (PUG) Member
| PUG Website | PUG Forums | PUG Issue Tracker | UserTools Website | Service Status by Email | Exchange Checker ]
Standard User mikej
(experienced) Sat 05-Mar-11 12:15:47
Print Post

[re: petervaughan] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link.

£12 on top of my existing monthly price for PlusNet Pro would take me to around £25/month (including my referral discounts) and that makes it more expensive than all but BT's top Infinity package (and that's not including the initial 3 month BT offer price either !)

£18/month with BT would also get me a 40GB limit (20GB on Pro) and free weekend calls.

Surely PlusNet will have to make their prices compete with BT's to stop people switching ?

Are there any set-up, installation or router charges if switching to FTTC and staying with PlusNet ?

My PC : Intel i7 920, ASUS P6T, 2x3GB Corsair DDR3, 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDDs, ASUS HD4870DK, Pioneer DVR-216DBK DVD-RW, Corsair TX-650 PSU, Antec 300 case, Windows 7 (64-bit)

My ADSL : PlusNet Pro, Netgear DG834G router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Mar-11 16:51:50
Print Post

[re: mikej] [link to this post]

Like you I can now get FTTC but it was a few days too late for the free trial.

We are all waiting to see what Plusnet's commercial offering will be but the link Peter gave is the most up to date information that I've seen.

A lot must depend on what BTw charge ISPs to use fibre.

plusnet usergroup member cool
Standard User DRW
(committed) Sun 06-Mar-11 10:07:02
Print Post

[re: nadger] [link to this post]

What I find worrying is that just because BT says that it will install FTTC for an exchange there is no guarantee that every cabinet (and hence every subscriber) will have access to FTTC service in a given exchange area..

Edited by DRW (Sun 06-Mar-11 10:18:30)

Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Mar-11 11:51:38
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

My exchange says FTTC is now available in some areas.

As a lot of my exchange area was cabled by NTL ( now Virgin) before they had financial problems I wonder if BT have initially covered areas, like mine, that can't get Virgin.

plusnet usergroup member cool
  Print Thread

Jump to