User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 11:37:52
Print Post

Line speed after a house move

[link to this post]

I recently moved house and transferred my plusnet broadband to my new address. My line speed at my old place was 3.5 meg but my new house is right next to the exhange so my estimated speed is 8meg.

My broadband is now up and running and the router has synced at 8128 for the last few days but on the plusnet site it still says my line speed is 3.5 and my download speeds wont go above that.

How long does it normally take for things to update?
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 24-Mar-11 11:51:45
Print Post

Re: Line speed after a house move

[re: Footys] [link to this post]

It should update a few hours after we receive a delta report for your line. Although having said that, I'll go bump it manually now.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 13:47:23
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - Its still showing as 3.5 - also for some reason I dont seem to be able to complete a bt speedtest?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 24-Mar-11 13:55:22
Print Post

Odd, I'll go change it again.

*done, is it showing correctly now? (I forgot to press the button to complete it earlier frown )

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 14:22:58
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Hi Chris
Showing as 7.15 now = thanks.

On a seperate issue my Thomson Speedtouch as supplied by plusnet seems to randomly reboot itself at various intervals - it did it at my old house all the time and i thought it was something to do with the line but the same thing happens at my new place. The whole thing just reboots - all the lights go off and everything. Sometimes after a few hours or sometimes after a day or two but its never on for long without rebooting - any ideas?
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Mar-11 00:47:09
Print Post

How hot does it get?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Fri 25-Mar-11 08:41:58
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Not massively hot - I raised a ticket about the issue and was told it was now out of warranty and I would have to sign a new 12 month contract to get a free replacement or pay £40. The thing is that I had to take a new 12 month contract last week when I moved house to cover the activation costs so I would have thought I was entitled to a free router replacement.

The agent also said after telling me this that my connection had been very intermittent lately which might be affecting my speed - doesnt he realise that you lose connection when your router reboots?!!

This was the reply I got to my original question:

Hi I have been having a problem with my thomson speedtouch router that was supplied by you for a few months. I thought it was due to my phone line but I have recently moved house and the problem persists. The Router seems to randomly reboot a few times a day - occasionally it will go a day or two without rebooting but never more than that. It isnt just the connection that drops - the router just completely shuts down and restarts which can be extremly annoying.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Unfortunately your router is now out of waranty so we are unable to replace this free of charge. We are happy to supply a new wireless router for free (plus a £4.99 postage and packaging charge) provided that you would be willing to stay with Plusnet for the next 12 months.
Alternatively, we can provide the router for a cost of £40.00 plus the £4.99 postage and packaging fee, paid up front.

In addition your internet connection has recently been very intermittent. This also causes your speed to decrease. The following link my provide a solution for your problem:
Intermittent Connection Help

The speed will return to normal within 72 hours of your connection becoming stable again.

If you continue to experience problems after this, please raise a fault online via this link:
Raise a Fault online

We’re happy to help if you have further questions. You can reply to this message online or call us 24/7 on 0845 1400 200. You can find out how busy we are before you call by visiting our Support Statistics.

Kind regards,
Standard User wingco1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Mar-11 11:46:34
Print Post

Does the power supply get hot, if so could be the problem.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Sat 26-Mar-11 01:11:08
Print Post

My 585v7 has been much better since I installed the 8.2.6.5 firmware, though I did not have your specific problem. Mine used to lock out the ethernet wired ports. I have two of them, both were the same.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to