User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Sun 27-Mar-11 23:33:46
Print Post

Sync Speed drop

[link to this post]

Hi

I moved house recently and the house I have moved to is right next to the exchange. When my broadband activated last week it synced steadily at 8128 which was what I expected.

However since yesterday that sync speed has dropped to 7616. I have been having problems with my router recently in which it rebooted every few hours or so - could this be the explanation for the drop in sync speed?
Standard User petervaughan
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Mar-11 23:45:59
Print Post

Re: Sync Speed drop

[re: Footys] [link to this post]

The speed means interleaving has been enabled on the line - probably due to the disconnections you were having causing the exchange to think the line is bad. If you don't use games or need a high ping/latency it will not make any difference to browsing / download speeds.

If you do need a low latency then you need to contact Plusnet support and ask for interleaving to be switched off. However, this should only be done once you are sure the problems you were having are no longer happening.

- Peter

--
plusnetADSL Plusnet Pro Customer on FTTC trial
Plusnet Usergroup (PUG) Member
| PUG Website | PUG Forums | PUG Issue Tracker | UserTools Website | Service Status by Email | Exchange Checker ]
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Mon 28-Mar-11 09:21:16
Print Post

[re: petervaughan] [link to this post]

My line actually seems less stable if anything since the interleaving has been switched on. I had no problems before it was turned on - my router rebooting was a problem with the router rather than the line because it was doing the same thing at my previous address.

Since the interleaving has been on I seem to be losing sync - I got up this morning and my line wasnt synced.

I also seem to lose sync if I`m downloading a torrent - which never happened before either!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 09:51:17
Print Post

Looks like your router is the problem. Can you try another one?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User fig
(committed) Tue 29-Mar-11 16:01:30
Print Post

Hmmmm, curious, same thing happened to me. Months of 8128 connections and now it wobbles from about 6800 - 7600 with a resync every now and then.

Maybe I've got interleaving on too, will investigate...

plusnet 4/11/2003 -> 4/3/2009 512Kb-2Mb
O2 Standard LLU 4/3/2009 -> 23/6/2009 ~3Mb O2 Access 13/7/2009 -> 22/6/2010 ~8Mb
plusnet 22/6/2010 -> ?? ~8MB
  Print Thread

Jump to