User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 08-Apr-11 17:00:24
Print Post

Speedtest.net : Plusnet speeds vs UK speeds

[link to this post]

It's interesting how speeds seem to be rising across the UK if the info from my speedtest.net test are accurate:

Linky

That's a fairly close test result to my max speed (over by 6% or so). Even if we allow for the innacuracy of the speedtest.net tests for some people, the results suggest that Plusnet's speeds are well below the UK average.

Can I guess at Plusnet not having a massive LLU and FTTx customer base from the results? Or is there some other factor? It seems I get good speeds for a Plusnet customer (ADSLmax too!).

I suppose the UK average will rise in the coming year(s) with the rollout of FTTx and more ADSL2/2+ exchanges happening? Looks like I'll have to start on the slow-spot forum soon. frown tongue

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Apr-11 17:14:14
Print Post

Re: Speedtest.net : Plusnet speeds vs UK speeds

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Shame on you camieabz tongue. You of all people know you have very faulty logic there, unless you are just having a bit of fun leading up to the final sentence smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 08-Apr-11 18:00:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Mostly. Call it a 20CN / ADSLmax user's call for any kind of upgrade on the exchange. I mention it in the Plusnet area to give a PN rep the oppotunity to give me the good news. smiletongue

I am however interested in Plusnet's response to the PN Vs UK speed thing (in case I've guessed at the wrong answer).

Looking at :

http://community.plus.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04...

...and according to Kitz's site, my stats suggest I am 2.2km from the exchange, however I sync at 8128 and get 6.2 Meg, so assume the distance estimate is out. Not sure if that graph indicates sync or speed, but if the latter, there would appear to be little gain from ADSL2/ADSL2+. If however it indicates sync speed, I could be good for at least double the speed (which is just about keeping up with the UK average of today).

I assume I won't get my exchange upgraded this year (it was set for Q4 2011 way back in 2007), and UK average speeds will be far higher by the time I do.

C'mon Plusnet...add my exchange to your trial / upgrade wish list. grin

~~~~~~~~~~

report this link

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Apr-11 17:01:46
Print Post

And your attenuation is?

Using graphs that are estimates, with distances that are estimates based on attenuation figures from a modem is not the way to do things.

Oxfordshire getting 9Meg or better average, maybe if you include all the AC.UK links that people test from...and that test has shown speeds over 100Meg from some connections that only run at 100Meg.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 11-Apr-11 17:33:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Oxfordshire getting 9Meg or better average, maybe if you include all the AC.UK links that people test from...
And Harwell, and Culham... I'd often wondered why Oxfordshire showed up so well in average speeds, 'cos it's a medium-hick county in many ways.

That would explain it, thanks smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 11-Apr-11 18:22:09
Print Post

Downstream :
Noise Margin : 8.0 dB
Attenuation : 30.0 dB
Output Power : 22

Upstream :
Noise Margin : 9.0 dB
Attenuation : 18.5 dB
Output Power : 10

Data Path : Fast
Downstream Bit Rate : 8128 Kbps
Upstream Bit Rate : 448 Kbps

Pings to popular UK sites tend to be in the high 20s.

~~~~~~~~~~

report this link
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Apr-11 20:54:28
Print Post

16Meg sync under ADSL2+ I reckon

So around 14Meg from speedtests

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 11-Apr-11 21:20:51
Print Post

That's where I start wondering.

I've taken a better shot at that graph and added some lines as an example:

http://www.camieabz.co.uk/graph.png

The verticle line is my supposed distance from the exchange, based on Kitz's checking tool (2.2km). The black horizontal one show my typical throughput speed (6.2Meg).

The three red lines dissect the different ADSL technologies at my distance. With my sync of 8128 (7150 profile) and distance of 2.2 either Kitz's site is wrong or that graph is wrong (it is five years out of date tbh). All things being equal on that graph though, I will sync at just under 15,000 and probably get a speed of 11.5 Meg.

I begs the question, assuming the cabling betweeen the exchange and the user is sound (quite an assumption), if one can get a sync of 8128 and a profile of 7150, what should one expect in terms of throughput? I assumed that distance from the exchange would affect sync and profile too.

~~~~~~~~~~

report this link
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Apr-11 09:55:56
Print Post

Read my post:

You are looking up on a graph that is not for UK cabling.
You are using a distance estimate.
That graph is a model and not always correct. e.g. ADSL does work at well over 5.3km.
That graph is showing connection speed, not speedtest results.

16Meg seems not unreasonable, as since you have some spare margin you are on the nicely flat part of the ADSL curve I would suggest.

So if I was being optimistic I would have said 18Meg connection, if pessimistic 14Meg, so I took the middle figure.

Distance does have an effect, but much better to use the attenuation itself, rather than a finger in the air conversion to km.

Print Thread

Jump to