User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Tue 26-Apr-11 13:50:06
Print Post

Is the PlusNet Pro addon worth the extra money?

[link to this post]

Just looking to move to PlusNet from Idnet due to needing the extra bandwidth but looking at the packages I can't decide if the PlusNet Pro addon is worth the extra £5 a month. Does it really make a difference or will I just be wasting my money?

By the way, we are ipstream here. No LLU or FTC unfortunately. Max speed is around 3mb.

Thanks in advance

Saul
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 26-Apr-11 13:52:20
Print Post

Re: Is the PlusNet Pro addon worth the extra money?

[re: pcmaczone] [link to this post]

http://www.plus.net/addons/pro/

See the prioritising of traffic.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Tue 26-Apr-11 13:57:14
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Yeah I have read what it does but I wanted to know from people's own experience if in reality it made a difference?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 26-Apr-11 14:06:37
Print Post

Well FWIW I haven't noticed much of a difference going from Premier 1 to Extra. I think P1 was similar to Pro. Youtube streams and Beeb streams can occasionally be a bit laggy, but it might be the servers for all I know.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Tue 26-Apr-11 14:14:37
Print Post

Ahh, ok so it might not actually be worth it then. It's fairly expensive for us anyway as we are out in the sticks on a small exchange (580 homes) so we don't get the benefit of discounted prices and pay the max rate of £17.99 pm so an extra fiver for what might be no gain doesn't sound like a good deal.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Apr-11 14:15:38
Print Post

Pro is equivalent to the old PAYG and Pro packages.
Premier 1 was better than the current non pro offerings in some areas but still restricted download sites, servers, P2P and Usenet http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archi...
Having said all that unless you are a heavy user (P2P, downloads not streaming, etc) you shouldn't see much advantage.
Fortunately the Pro addon is on a month by month basis so you can add or remove it as you wish.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 26-Apr-11 14:22:16
Print Post

I tried out the upload increase add-on for a while. The extra 330k was fine, and I noticed pings improved, since apparently that addon gets a better prioritisation somehow. I'm sure a PN rep will elaborate. I couldn't justify the extra £7.xx or whatever it costs. That might be another option if looking to get a better service though.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Tue 26-Apr-11 14:26:35
Print Post

Yeah I don't want any restrictions, traffic shaping etc. With our speed of a max 3mb the last thing I need is it slowing down in the evenings, especially as we use iPlayer and YouTube quite a bit.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Tue 26-Apr-11 16:04:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcmaczone:
Yeah I don't want any restrictions, traffic shaping etc. With our speed of a max 3mb the last thing I need is it slowing down in the evenings, especially as we use iPlayer and YouTube quite a bit.
But the traffic shaping restricts protocols to certain maximum speeds, so being on a slower maximum speed will not make it worse for you, proportionately it will have less effect. I suggest you try it without the Pro addon and, if you then think it would help, add it. My maximum speed is similar to yours and I never noticed any problems from the traffic shaping, on Value or Extra.

Kevin

Plusnet Extra - soon to be Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Tue 26-Apr-11 17:03:44
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thanks Kevin. Will give it a go and see how we get on.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to