User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User noon
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 16:57:31
Print Post

More than four wired ethernet connections

[link to this post]

Hi

I have a Thomson router all working great, wired and wireless. However I need to have more than four ethernet cables on my network. Should it all work if I add in a switch?

I have tried this - connected a Belkin switch (via its "up" socket) to the Thomson. But a set top box (a Humax PVR) can't get an IP address from the Thomson via the Belkin. It can if I connect it direct.

Does anyone have any insights, please?

Thanks

Nick

Edited by noon (Sun 01-May-11 17:10:09)

Standard User qjh1
(newbie) Sun 01-May-11 17:23:46
Print Post

Re: More than four wired ethernet connections

[re: noon] [link to this post]

If you have a spare router or modem/router you can use this as a switch. Just connect one port of your current router to any of the "computer" ports on the second router or modem/router and plug 3 other computers into the remaining "Computer" ports. Remember to switch the DHCP server off (and the modem if you can) in the second unit. You can go on adding units like this essentially for ever - for each new one you gain 3 new ports - and routers tend to be cheaper than switches for some reason. You can also use the wireless function on some units as well as a "second" wireless network (use different wireless network settings on each) - but this varies a bit with the make/model.
Standard User ian007jen
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 17:40:37
Print Post

Also make sure the second router has an IP address in the same range as the first one (probably 192.168.1.nnn) and that this ip address in outside the DHCP addressses that the first router serves.

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 01-May-11 17:54:46
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

That's all well and good but doesn't explain why OP's setup isn't working - I have no trouble obtaining IP addresses via a Netgear switch.

Kevin

Plusnet Extra - soon to be Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User petervaughan
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-11 21:29:15
Print Post

That sounds like an old switch - you don't normally get "up" connections now as most have auto-sensing ports that detect cross-over situations.

It should work fine with a switch so I suspect the switch you have is not working correctly - or if the "up" port has a push button next to it, it may be in the wrong mode so try the button in the other position.

They are very cheap now so I suggest you buy a new switch and try that.

- Peter

--
plusnetADSL Plusnet Pro Customer on FTTC trial
Plusnet Usergroup (PUG) Member
| PUG Website | PUG Forums | PUG Issue Tracker | UserTools Website | Service Status by Email | Exchange Checker ]

Edited by petervaughan (Sun 01-May-11 21:30:05)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-May-11 22:34:39
Print Post

[re: qjh1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by qjh1:
... for each new one you gain 3 new ports ....
Two tongue.

Incidentally a few "routers" have hubs not switches. They can mess things up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-May-11 11:06:17
Print Post

I've done exactly that sort of thing with a variety of switches and hubs with no issues whatsoever. It is a standard option for people where their master socket is away from where they have their PCs (put the router in the master and run a long ethernet cable to a switch in the room where they have their PCs).

What model of Belkin switch are you using?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User noon
(regular) Mon 02-May-11 14:29:20
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

This has all been really useful, thanks to all who replied.

The Belkin switch is so old I daren't look what the model is! If what I am trying to do is otherwise reasonable, the switch has to be the number one suspect, and will be replaced.

Very useful to discover that one can (in general) redeploy ADSL routers as switches and wireless access points. I shall look at this too, cos I do have a redundant router and would love to have WiFi coverage in more corners of the house!

Thanks again

Nick
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-May-11 17:53:34
Print Post

For wireless coverage, if you want to be able to move around you can connect them wired, with the same SSID but different channels, and your whatever should pick up the stronger signal as you move. A bit like a mobile and the masts, though I don't expect it is completely seamless.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Cruddas
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 18:58:42
Print Post

Hi Noon

As I understand it the reason why the Belkin switch is not working as expected is that you have connected it to the uplink port. I think you will find if you connect the switch to one of the 4 LAN ports it will work.
Good luck

Cruddas
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to