User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 09:49:02
Print Post

FTTC installed - very happy

[link to this post]

Got my connection upgraded to fibre today, long way from exchange so was on 3 meg at best, estimated FTTC speed 31.2 Mb, have got actual speed test results of 39-40Mb, wonderful!

The process was managed by Plusnet extremely efficiently from start to finish, I was kept informed at all times and everything happened when it should have. The Openreach engineer was very pleasant but did express surprise at Plusnet's 2Mb upload cap, he thought it was a fault when he tested it at the cabinet and had to phone to check. It doesn't bother me at the moment as it's a heck of a lot faster than the previous upload speed, but I await the launch of 10Mb upload with interest.

Kevin

Plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User DRW
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 10:36:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC installed - very happy

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Congrats - how far are you from the cabinet? and how long after the new larger cabinet was physically installed the street was the service made available to you.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 11:11:40
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DRW:
Congrats - how far are you from the cabinet? and how long after the new larger cabinet was physically installed the street was the service made available to you.
Must be around 1/4 mile to the cabinet. I don't know exactly when it was installed as I only found it quite recently but I don't think it was much more than a month or so. BTW my speed has now dropped from 40Mb to less than 3Mb as my 3Mb Plusnet profile has kicked in but hopefully Joanne is sorting that out for me!

Kevin

Plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 11:24:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
Got my connection upgraded to fibre today, long way from exchange so was on 3 meg at best, estimated FTTC speed 31.2 Mb, have got actual speed test results of 39-40Mb, wonderful!

Glad to hear your good news, Kevin.
What exactly did the OR engineer have to do at your end ?

Wagstaff

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has that keeps it from betting on people."
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 11:37:37
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wagstaff:

Glad to hear your good news, Kevin.
What exactly did the OR engineer have to do at your end ?

Wagstaff
Hi, he phoned me from the cabinet when he was about to swap the line over to warn me that my line would be disconnected and that he was on his way. When he arrived he just replaced my ADSL faceplate with the chunkier Openreach version (which I believe is, to all intents and purposes, the same), connected up the modem, drunk a cup of coffee, I connected the Plusnet supplied Netgear router (which I had already configured) and after a couple of minutes it all just worked - the first two speedtest.net tests I did gave 39Mb and 40Mb, slightly lower using mybroadbandspeed.co.uk. The BT speed tester didn't want to play.

My Plusnet profile has just been increased to 37Mb so hopefully I'll get my Fibre speeds back again in a few minutes.

Kevin

Plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Thu 05-May-11 11:46:04
Print Post

The Openreach engineer was very pleasant but did express surprise at Plusnet's 2Mb upload cap, he thought it was a fault when he tested it at the cabinet and had to phone to check.

The 2Mbps upload limit is applied at the Wholesale level, not at our end (where the assured rate is actually set to 10Mbps).

The 2Mbps and 10Mbps variants have different wholesale rental costs.

Odd that the Openreach engineer thought it was a fault though because AFAIK BT have a 2Mbps upload product too?

BTW my speed has now dropped from 40Mb to less than 3Mb as my 3Mb Plusnet profile has kicked in but hopefully Joanne is sorting that out for me!

Has it been sorted now?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 11:50:29
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bpullen:
The Openreach engineer was very pleasant but did express surprise at Plusnet's 2Mb upload cap, he thought it was a fault when he tested it at the cabinet and had to phone to check.

The 2Mbps upload limit is applied at the Wholesale level, not at our end (where the assured rate is actually set to 10Mbps).

The 2Mbps and 10Mbps variants have different wholesale rental costs.

Odd that the Openreach engineer thought it was a fault though because AFAIK BT have a 2Mbps upload product too?

BTW my speed has now dropped from 40Mb to less than 3Mb as my 3Mb Plusnet profile has kicked in but hopefully Joanne is sorting that out for me!

Has it been sorted now?
Yes, thanks Bob, now set to 37Mb (through Joanne on Twitter). Is this the highest value you use?

Kevin

Plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Thu 05-May-11 11:52:51
Print Post

No, and speaking to Joanne I understand she's set it to 40Mbps at our end anyway?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 11:57:49
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bpullen:
No, and speaking to Joanne I understand she's set it to 40Mbps at our end anyway?
Sorry, I don't want to tie up two of you! It says 37Mb on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...

Kevin

Plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Thu 05-May-11 12:04:57
Print Post

Hi, he phoned me from the cabinet when he was about to swap the line over to warn me that my line would be disconnected and that he was on his way. When he arrived he just replaced my ADSL faceplate with the chunkier Openreach version (which I believe is, to all intents and purposes, the same), connected up the modem, drunk a cup of coffee, I connected the Plusnet supplied Netgear router (which I had already configured) and after a couple of minutes it all just worked - the first two speedtest.net tests I did gave 39Mb and 40Mb, slightly lower using mybroadbandspeed.co.uk. The BT speed tester didn't want to play.

Thanks for the info, Kevin. It is tremendous news to learn that 40Mb can be achieved on a long line !!
This must give hope to all those who live in the countryside and suffer from the problems caused by very low broadband speeds.

Wagstaff

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has that keeps it from betting on people."
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to