User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Jun-11 14:04:35
Print Post

Pusnet FTTC Feedback?

[link to this post]

I'm currently on O2 LLU and pay £14.50/month for the 8mbps unlimited service.

I suspect I use around 50gb/month, probably less tbh.

I'm interested in going to FTTC so I'm looking at what my options are, and as I'm on a "Market 3" exchange Plusnet's 120gb offering doesn't look too bad vs. everyone else.

However, I recall the Plusnet of old who had more smoke and mirrors than David Copperfield, and frankly I'm worried that a leopard doesn't change its spots.

Are my concerns justified? I see they still manage, but I don't see much info beyond a "star" rating.

Thanks.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sat 04-Jun-11 15:06:33
Print Post

Re: Pusnet FTTC Feedback?

[re: hutchingsp] [link to this post]

By 'Plusnet of old' I assume you mean the times of Lee Strafford (pre-2007)?

BT aquired Plusnet at the start of 2007, and Strafford left shortly after (read on wiki).

This is just my opinion based on my own experiences:

Plusnet's general service performance has improved in the past four years. Its prices have dropped, but its service quality has not decreased. It seems to have a better focus strategically (whether this is BT directed, or not, I don't know), in that it seems to have less complaints than it used to regarding new products. This suggests better prep or management of new products before release.

I shifted from Prem Option 1 to Extra (60GB allowance) last year and while my traffic management profile is not 'officially' as good, in practice it is no worse (that is to say, with the exception of Friday nights or unusually busy periods (world cup), I don't really notice management). I got reclassified from Mkt 2 to Mkt 3 recently too, so am paying around £10pm less than I was this time last year, with a greater usage allowance.

Add to that, phone packages etc I'm pretty happy with Plusnet this year. In fact, my only real niggle of Plusnet was their CGI servers, and I stopped using them in 2007, so can't comment on them now. I don't use e-mail much, but use the broadband for Internet a lot.

Again, these are my own experiences, in case someone hollers 'fanboy'. smile I've had cause to complain before (tend not to wait to do so), but either I'm mellowing, or the service is improving. However, you can see Plusnet appear in ISP unhappiness as often as other larger ISPs. A sign of their customer numbers perhaps?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by camieabz (Sat 04-Jun-11 15:07:19)

Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Jun-11 15:35:57
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Not sure of the exact dates as I've been on here a while, but the name Strafford rings a bell, also there was a marketing manager or someone who used to post here trying to defend the indefensible, however, if it's all pre-BT and since then the company has changed, that's of interest.

I guess what I really want to know is how much of an impact the traffic management has? O2 don't (for legacy customers) shape/manage so the odd heavy download comes down full-whack - in all truth most of the time I don't need FTTC, but it would be frustrating to go to it and find that when I do something that should utilize its potential, it's slower than my O2 service due to management, IYSWIM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sat 04-Jun-11 16:11:58
Print Post

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

That's a broad guide of management. The 'streaming' category relates to Youtube (where I tend to notice any slow down). Looking at my usage stats, almost all my usage is defined as Streaming or Web (99%), so can't comment on P2P, Gaming etc.

Also, I'm on ADSLmax, so best to browse around for FTTx specific stuff if that's what you're looking at.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
ISP Representative mand_beckett
(isp) Sat 04-Jun-11 17:11:08
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Hi,

Actual rate limits for all products are linked to from that page, for concenience it's here.

At the OP, rate limits for fibre are in the link above, I guess whether you'd notice would depend on what your current speed is. You do get line speed and unmetered usage overnight though, which on a 40Mb connection is a pretty sizable benefit IMO.

Kind Regards,
Mand Beckett
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sat 04-Jun-11 17:59:14
Print Post

[re: mand_beckett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mand_beckett:
You do get line speed and unmetered usage overnight though, which on a 40Mb connection is a pretty sizable benefit IMO.
Worth mentioning that for £5/month extra you can have full line speed at at all times.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sat 04-Jun-11 18:04:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by hutchingsp:
However, I recall the Plusnet of old who had more smoke and mirrors than David Copperfield, and frankly I'm worried that a leopard doesn't change its spots.
I wouldn't recognise that comment as applying to today's Plusnet. They're not perfect, like all ISPs, but I have found their support recently to be very good - especially if you frequent this forum or the Plusnet Community forum. It is also exclusively UK-based, which helps. My move to FTTC went very smoothly.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Jun-11 18:25:20
Print Post

[re: mand_beckett] [link to this post]

Thanks Mand, assuming the Mb/s is definitely megabits, it confirms what I feared, which is that the throttling/management is pretty severe and I'd be better off sticking with O2 without any management.

Thanks for the response though.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sat 04-Jun-11 19:08:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by hutchingsp:
Thanks Mand, assuming the Mb/s is definitely megabits, it confirms what I feared, which is that the throttling/management is pretty severe and I'd be better off sticking with O2 without any management.

Thanks for the response though.
But as I said, for £5 a month the throttling is removed, up to you whether you think it's worth it.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User wingco1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jun-11 11:00:47
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

£15 a month gets Sky unlimited if the exchange has been unbundled. It costs even less if you take the Sky phone packages.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to