User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(member) Sun 12-Jun-11 17:19:19
Print Post

plusnet and FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi i put my number in the BT checker and it says

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 30Mbps and upstream line speed of 7Mbps.

Can any one tell me how accurate this is also can any one already on plusnet tell me if they have any limits (besides the 60gig peak limit) or traffic management/throttling. And how is the support.

thanks for any advice

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U

My Broadband Speed Test

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
PSN/xbox live both: ACPSD775 add me if you like
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 12-Jun-11 17:40:35
Print Post

Re: plusnet and FTTC

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I can't tell you how accurate the date is, but as it's a quarter-end date it is a "holding" date and will be replaced with a real one at some stage, or possibly moved back another quarter. The speed is likely to be an underestimate, apart from the upload speed, which is restricted to 2Mb on Plusnet.

Details of traffic management can be found here (click on the arrows against Value Fibre or Extra Fibre), if you pay the extra £5 for the Pro addon, you get full line speed at all times.

The limits on the fibre packages are 40Gb (Value) or 120Gb (Extra), not 60Gb.

I have found support to be excellent.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User acpsd775
(member) Sun 12-Jun-11 17:57:52
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

thanks for the answers it was a different date befor and they moved it forward to that one so well just have to see what happens there and thanks for clearing the usage up i got the 60gig off the website it says.

Plusnet Extra broadband

60 GB Monthly usage

Talk Evening & Weekends calls

No annual contract

If they dont offer the extra upload its kinda put me off as this is the main reason id want to switch for i can get virgin media so for the extra download i could just go back with them but its the upload im mostly interested in thanks again for your replies.

Ash

EDIT never mind about the 60gig thing ii was looking at the wrong package like an idiot haha

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U

My Broadband Speed Test

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
PSN/xbox live both: ACPSD775 add me if you like

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 12-Jun-11 18:01:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikecrawford80
(regular) Mon 13-Jun-11 12:10:47
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

FTTC on Plusnet is 18 month contract (but you probably saw that when you found the Fibre section on the site smile). Upload is 2 Mbps for now, but some comments on Plusnets own forums seem to point towards a change on that some time soon.

I'll echo Kevins comments for the speed estimate, mine was estimated at 11 Mbps, but I get 32 Mbps laugh

Plusnet Value Fibre
June 2011 Speedtest ...
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 13-Jun-11 12:21:46
Print Post

[re: mikecrawford80] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikecrawford80:
I'll echo Kevins comments for the speed estimate, mine was estimated at 11 Mbps, but I get 32 Mbps laugh
When I got FTTC last August (not Plusnet) there were only a couple of others in the cabinent, the estimate was 19Mbps and I got the full 37-odd Mbps. After a couple of months the estimate went up to about 25Mbps and now (with a lot more users) the estimate is 31Mbps

Of course, as the number of users (hence the examples available to BT) has increased, along with the estimate, my actual speeds have gone down, so now the estimate isn't far out frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dustofnations
(regular) Mon 13-Jun-11 17:47:14
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by mikecrawford80:
When I got FTTC last August (not Plusnet) there were only a couple of others in the cabinent, the estimate was 19Mbps and I got the full 37-odd Mbps. After a couple of months the estimate went up to about 25Mbps and now (with a lot more users) the estimate is 31Mbps

Of course, as the number of users (hence the examples available to BT) has increased, along with the estimate, my actual speeds have gone down, so now the estimate isn't far out frown

I was under the impression that the cabinet->exchange wasn't supposed to be contended, so I suppose it must be cross-talk. Doesn't bode particularly well if they switch to one of the higher speed profiles, as they're more likely to cause problems.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 13-Jun-11 17:58:13
Print Post

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

Yes, I'm virtually certain that it's cross-talk and again yes- it's going to be interesting to see what happens at the higher speeds crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to