User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 00:25:17
Print Post

Why is Plusnet's availability checker so complicated?

[link to this post]

It asks for postcode and phone number. If I do this, it says I already have Plusnet broadband. If I go down the option of have no phone line, it wants my home address.

Why can't I just see what speeds Plusnet would tell me for my address? The products are sold as 'up to 20Mb', but I get 8Mb. The majority of exchanges are not 20Mb capable, hence, the majority of customers will receive sub 8 Meg rather than sub 20 Meg, so the advertising is misleading.

Not interested in any other ISP's advertising, since I'm not with any other company.

Other questions. What is Plusnet doing with regards to passing ADSL2+ requests to BT? I occasionally mention it here, as others do. Is there a an avenue for requesting/complaining to BT regards the lack of ADSL2+ provision? It's all gone FTTx for many, but it will not happen for most exchanges in the next five years I reckon, so ADSL2+ is the only short to medium term option. For many it might be a solution. Who on earth can the punters bother to get some info/action on this?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 15-Jun-11 07:55:53
Print Post

Re: Why is Plusnet's availability checker so complicated?

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Plusnet only tells you what the BT Wholesale availability checker would tell you, then interprets the results, so enter your phone number at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
ISP Representative mand_beckett
(isp) Wed 15-Jun-11 09:15:51
Print Post

Hi there,

When you do a BB only line check we take the postcode in case the telephone number returns useless results (if it's an LLU number, cable, ceased line etc). You can only have one broadband service per line, so if you're already with us there's no point in completing a sign up (I know you weren't intending to, but if you could that would cause system issues).

If you say you have no phone line we check your address as that's the first step in phone line provision, it also means we can check what the installation costs would be to put a phone line in for you.

Re ADSL2+ there isn't a massive amount we can do to persuade BT to upgrade an exchange, however BT is planning to upgrade all exchanges to 21CN over the next year or two, so it will happen sooner or later.

Kind Regards,
Mand Beckett
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 16-Jun-11 10:46:56
Print Post

[re: mand_beckett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mand_beckett:
When you do a BB only line check we take the postcode in case the telephone number returns useless results (if it's an LLU number, cable, ceased line etc). You can only have one broadband service per line, so if you're already with us there's no point in completing a sign up (I know you weren't intending to, but if you could that would cause system issues).

If you say you have no phone line we check your address as that's the first step in phone line provision, it also means we can check what the installation costs would be to put a phone line in for you.

My point was to see if Plusnet's systems were going to suggest I can have up to 20 Meg. In other words, why is 20 Meg being advertised when it's more than likely not going to happen?

Re ADSL2+ there isn't a massive amount we can do to persuade BT to upgrade an exchange, however BT is planning to upgrade all exchanges to 21CN over the next year or two, so it will happen sooner or later.

I'm not asking for Plusnet to ask BT about my exchange (it would be nice, but obviously not realistic). I'm concerned that the demand (from me and many others) is not reaching BT's ears. There's no channel of communication from the consumers to the wholesaler. The wholesaler supplies what it perceives to be the demand which is based on existing setups. It does not get information on how many people from 'x' exchanges are asking, querying or demanding 21CN. Arguably everyone from all exchanges would want it, but it would make sense to prioritise in places where FTTx is not planned, places which might benefit from more directly than others etc.

Usually companies look to providing a product if the demand is there. In the case of ADSL2+ it will be of little or no added profit, for some outlay, and potentially result in increased loss of capacity, so I am of the opinion that ADSL2+ will not be coming to many exchanges at all. It's a repeat of the Market 1, 2 problem. There's only demand if the existing supplier listens, and they are not interested (or are they asking ISPs to pass on 21CN demands?).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
(isp) Thu 16-Jun-11 13:27:37
Print Post

All of our products have a headline speed of upto 20Mb, because that's what most people will get. The line check is there to show you what speed you're likely to get on your line. I don't know of a better way to make that clear on signup without muddying the product proposition.

Re your point about exchanges, I understand what you're saying. Worth bearing in mind though that 21CN is planned to replace the old IPStream network, so all exchanges will be upgraded within the next few years.

Kind Regards,
Mand Beckett
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ffox
(member) Thu 16-Jun-11 15:50:18
Print Post

All of our products have a headline speed of upto 20Mb, because that's what most people will get
That's a bit confusing. What will the other (ie not most) people get ?

Plusnet Value Fibre, Netgear WNR 1000, St Ives Cambs
(isp) Thu 16-Jun-11 16:31:27
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

ADSL (up to 8Mb), or for the chosen few FTTC (up to 40Mb).

Kind Regards,
Mand Beckett
Plusnet Support Team
Standard User wingco1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jun-11 17:14:54
Print Post

So you actually have three 'Headline Speeds'. Yet chose to promote the 20meg that some people will get, without reference to the 8meg that most people will get.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jun-11 17:54:11
Print Post

I don't know of a better way to make that clear on signup without muddying the product proposition.

All of our products have a headline speed of upto 20Mb as long as your exchange has 21CN WBC status

Alastair

omadasafisho live BQM graph
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Sat 18-Jun-11 12:09:41
Print Post

All of our products have a headline speed of upto 20Mb, because that's what most people will get....

Worth bearing in mind though that 21CN is planned to replace the old IPStream network, so all exchanges will be upgraded within the next few years.

Can you find the figures indicating what numbers of exchanges are now 21CN, please?

If possible, is there a way of finding the number of lines they provide, too?

SamKnows had some estimates of the number of homes within X km (but it was only broken down for a firm offering LLU, so they might say Company Y serves 1,234 exchanges and then give some other figures (possibly lines or possibly just % within 2km)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to