User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 12:15:04
Print Post

Extraordinarily low "up" speed

[link to this post]

Hi,

I had some authentication problems yesterday, which were not resolved by switching to a new and different router.

This eventually led to my raising a ticket, but after doing the usual drill of the standard tests (folks at PN could see I was not connecting), and leaving the router down for 65 minutes before trying again, I have been online again since, with just one unexpected drop last night, and again trouble reconnecting.

I left the connection on overnight, and was pleased to see it survived OK, but am having terrible connectivity today, and don't know if it's related to the earlier problem.

Speedtest (on this site) shows download speeds are normal (ish - the line was never spectacular), but upload is a miserable 0.1 Mbps (92.13 Kbps).

Yep, I know it's supposed to be lower than download, but this is ridiculous...isn't it?

I've no idea whether I should be raising another ticket, adding to the first ticket (not sure whether it's been closed yet), or fault finding myself, at home.

Any ideas?

T.

Edited by TLM (Tue 28-Jun-11 12:16:15)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 13:16:45
Print Post

Re: Extraordinarily low "up" speed

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

There's been a number of people reporting spectacularly bad upload speeds recently - something is going on!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 13:39:51
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

I've had a text from PN, advising that my problem appears to be resolved. Replied to let them know I'm not sure it is.

I'm connected, but not "normally", it seems. It's just about barely useable. frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:43:54
Print Post

That also fits the pattern - everything looks fine from their end.

jelv

Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 15:01:14
Print Post

Yep, I tracked down a few threads about it on the PN forums. You're right, there have been several in the past few days. Different users, too, so looks like more than coincidence. The upload speed ranges they're reporting are also consistent with what I'm seeing.

None of the posters I saw had identified their geographic location (in the thread or in their profiles). I'd be curious to know whether we're all on the same exchange (Filton, here - but it's not reporting any current issues).

T.

P.S. - I should add: My problems yesterday manifested as an authentication problem, so literally all PN will be looking for is that I've managed to get reconnected and stayed connected - which I have (so far). I don't think they'll even be looking to see if speeds are OK, because it wasn't recorded as a speed problem.

Edited by TLM (Tue 28-Jun-11 15:04:55)

ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Tue 28-Jun-11 15:11:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
There's been a number of people reporting spectacularly bad upload speeds recently - something is going on!

Really? There aren't any particular issues I'm aware of. Are these other reports over on the Community forums jelv?

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 15:41:18
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

Yes, there have been a handful of these on Community recently where the upload sync is normal but the results of uploads on speed tests have been around 100.

jelv

ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Tue 28-Jun-11 16:02:31
Print Post

Seen this one, but struggled to find any others?

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User magicsnaps
(newbie) Wed 21-Sep-11 18:03:16
Print Post

Seems like nothing much has changed. I effectively have one-way broadband. Download speed is a healthy 5333kbps but upload is a useless 5kbps, (figures obtained using Plusnet's own speed checker.) This is disastrous for a photographic business needing to upload pictures daily and for Mac users the further worry is the approach of 'The iCloud'. How will it be possible to function if this is not sorted immediately?
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 22-Sep-11 18:42:14
Print Post

[re: magicsnaps] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by magicsnaps:
Seems like nothing much has changed. I effectively have one-way broadband. Download speed is a healthy 5333kbps but upload is a useless 5kbps, (figures obtained using Plusnet's own speed checker.) This is disastrous for a photographic business needing to upload pictures daily and for Mac users the further worry is the approach of 'The iCloud'. How will it be possible to function if this is not sorted immediately?

Sorry, I should have updated this, to avoid confusion.

The upload problem turned out to be to do with the new router. I never exactly got it sorted, but I'm OK as long as I only run it wired. PN were implicated only to the extent of having supplied the router (which might or might not have been faulty - but as I got it working another way, I couldn't be bothered to find out, to be honest).

But the picture was compounded by this occurring on top of an already reported problem. Naturally, when I switched to a brand new router, straight out of the box, I didn't envisage I might have introduced a new problem, but I had.

All sorted now, touch wood. I don't think customer support ever really understood what I was talking about, as they didn't seem to know what "up-speed" even was. They blamed the problem on the "retraining period", which as far as I know only affects sync speed (which was fine), and wouldn't have had any bearing on up-speed at all. So as a response, it was slightly worse than "No idea", which at least would have had the virtue of being accurate.

Luckily solved it myself, by trial and error, in the end - but it was remiss of me not to report here that I had done so.

If possible, try swapping routers, or, if running wireless, try wired.

Tina
  Print Thread

Jump to