User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Jul-11 09:50:39
Print Post

20CN will be phased out

[link to this post]

All of us who still stuck with up to 8 Meg, 512K, 1 Meg and 2 Meg will be phased out in 2014 in whole of UK say BT. So, that's would mean all of us will be automatically changing to ADSL2+ up to 24 Meg instead from 20CN to 21CN at the telephone exchanges,

But, 2014 is far too late, as by the time in 2014, anything up to 24 Meg will be outdated, totally waste of time and pointless! As many will see fastest in 2014 by up to 40 Meg and 100 Meg FTTC and FTTP.

Come on BT, forget the 21CN ADSL2+ up to 24 Meg is no point as we all are better off with 100% in UK to have FTTC/FTTP instead.

I would like to see all ADSL/ADSL2+ to be phased out 2014.

See here: http://www.trefor.net/2011/06/30/bt-calling-time-on-...

Edited by adslmax (Fri 01-Jul-11 09:54:03)

Standard User kasg
(committed) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:42:03
Print Post

Re: 20CN will be phased out

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I'm not sure why this has been posted in the Plusnet forum and I'm not sure I understand the rant. The article says "The replacement will be based on 21CN technologies that include ADSL2+ ( “up to 24Mbps”) and FTTC (“up to 40Mbps)", which seems fair enough. 2014 is not that far away and there's no way the whole country will be on FTTx by then.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:45:56
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I'm not sure why this has been posted in the Plusnet forum and I'm not sure I understand the rant.
Due account needs to be taken of who posted it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 01-Jul-11 11:13:55
Print Post

ADSL2+ is better than max for many users, is cheaper to implement than FTTx and is easier to put in place for all, with users not necessarily requiring additional kit.

Why a virgin user has posted to BT in the Plusnet forum is beyond me. Surely it's a wholesale implementation or general broadband section issue. Wumming perhaps?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by camieabz (Fri 01-Jul-11 11:27:36)

Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Fri 01-Jul-11 11:15:17
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I think a lot of people will just be glad to know that their exchange will get somthing better eventually, even if it means waiting.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Jul-11 12:16:17
Print Post

Report was incorrect

The tbb News Article has been updated at 11:30, as this only applies to Datastream and any exchanges WBC-enabled at the time. The Timico blog linked to has also been updated.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 01-Jul-11 12:31:07)

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 01-Jul-11 12:44:12
Print Post

Re: Report was incorrect

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Unfortunately this does mean that some of the country may be stuck on 'up-to' 8meg ADSL for some years to come.

What I suspected a while back. My original 21CN date has come and gone and now there is 'no date'. BT has no interest in the 20% of users outside of the cities.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Jul-11 18:15:09
Print Post

No interest at present, in time as hardware is unsupported by manufacturers and old kit for use as spares is no longer available they will roll-out the updates.

Given the state of flux and BDUK money available spending money in the final third of households is a risky prospect, as another firm might get the contract in an area to provide next gen services, meaning you as a firm waste millions putting ADSL2+ capable hardware into exchanges (most old Fujitsu kit is a line card upgrade, but for some older Alcatel I think its a whole new DSLAM)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 01-Jul-11 20:14:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In 2005 I was told 2009. Now we're being told 2014. Nine years. It will never be done imo.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Jul-11 15:16:43
Print Post

For my local rural exchange it will be circa. 2020 or not at all unless outside funding becomes available again. Basic broadband didn't become available around these parts until 2005.

If that is the time scale then 20CN exchanges need to be reclassified with regard to the market 1, 2 and 3 categories.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to