User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dslguru
(newbie) Sun 17-Jul-11 13:25:04
Print Post

new connection stats up speed low

[link to this post]

Hi all, my son has just connected (yesterday Sat.) with PN using PN router, but the stats look a bit iffy for the up speed. He has a new ADSL Nation faceplate at the master socket, with an existing upstairs extn. socket where the router will go next to PC, this extn. he wired to the unfiltered B & A terminals on ANation faceplate as no phones will be using this extn. However there must be still other wiring issues as the extension is dead, so for now the router is in master socket, with the extn socket still connected to B,A.

Thruput on TBB test is low 6306 d, 371 up. I said he should pull out the wires from B,A, until he has time to sort it all out,and see if up speed goes up, but he is a bit wary of BT's MadMax profile system changes, esp in first 10 days. Should he pull the wires out B,A,? I said I would enquire for him as he is out till this evening. I also think the down power is low, I had this once with dodgy wiring.

Thanks

Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 2:56:23
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Maximum Bandwidth
(Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1200 / 2,1172
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 21,176
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 23.25 / 579.06
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 9.5 / 15
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 11.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.5 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB /IFTN
Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0/ 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 110

Edited by dslguru (Sun 17-Jul-11 13:25:53)

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Sun 17-Jul-11 14:05:29
Print Post

Re: new connection stats up speed low

[re: dslguru] [link to this post]

A few clear photographs of every socket and the wiring connections inside each will be worth a thousand words.

If, as you say, your son's attempt at wiring a broadband extension fails to work then revert the changes now. There is no point in waiting.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Sun 17-Jul-11 14:07:09)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jul-11 14:12:58
Print Post

Well from the stats posted there doesn't seem to be any reason why you would not expect to see the normal 84%+ throughput , if you could post some more stats after say at least 24 hrs sync , to see what the error rate is like, the only other thing that would affect throughput from your side is the MTU being set correctly in the router, or something wrong with the router it's self, but it's more than likely a bt(pn issue at the exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jul-11 14:25:08
Print Post

At a guess your problem is either a stuck IP profile of 7150kbps (normal max on ADSL1) or the Plusnet mirror of it - Current Line Speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...
Standard User dslguru
(newbie) Sun 17-Jul-11 18:11:51
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Thanks all, I'll talk to him later.

The daisy chain extensions were already there, with cables run in the walls as with most new builds. On my advice he had all the faceplates off and just connected 2 and 5, as the installers had all six wired up, doh. He was going to use the upstairs ext. for the router.

I'll get him to pull the extn off the B and A terminals and get some stats from him, BTW he lives 190mls away,otherwise I'd go myself,lol.

thanks
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Sun 17-Jul-11 18:40:05
Print Post

The daisy chain extensions were already there, with cables run in the walls as with most new builds. On my advice he had all the faceplates off and just connected 2 and 5, as the installers had all six wired up, doh. He was going to use the upstairs ext. for the router.
That doesn't bode well. Wiring by a electrician as part of a new build is (unfortunately) often sub-optimal for a broadband service. I would say that an annotated set of clear photographs of the wiring at each socket is definitely the order of the day. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User dslguru
(newbie) Sun 17-Jul-11 19:23:01
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Will endeavor to get this. Nearly at 24hrs so will wait for stats. In meantime before he connected to master socket he said theres no continuity on any of the pairs (he is an AV technician BTW so does a lot of wiring) but he forgot to dis the B & A connection before syncing for the 1st time. Has also now found another extn. socket behind a fixed wardrobe, guess thats where prob is.

On a personnel note just noticed I am on G.992.1 Annex A, usually G.992.5 Annex A, is there any difference.

thanks again
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jul-11 20:00:37
Print Post

On a personnel note just noticed I am on G.992.1 Annex A, usually G.992.5 Annex A, is there any difference.

Yes,

G.992.1 aka G.DMT (ADSL) up to 8Meg

G.992.5 aka ADSL2+ up to 24Meg

> > > ADSL

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User dslguru
(newbie) Sun 17-Jul-11 21:11:36
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Yes,

G.992.1 aka G.DMT (ADSL) up to 8Meg

G.992.5 aka ADSL2+ up to 24Meg

Cheers, Will get stats tomorrow, son just got home.

My stats guess anything can happen on o2. lol

Uptime: 1 day, 2:48:25
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,038 / 5,226
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 137.50 / 2.07
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 55.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 4.0
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Mon 18-Jul-11 13:21:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by dslguru:
Hi all, my son has just connected (yesterday Sat.) with PN using PN router, but the stats look a bit iffy for the up speed.

The upstream sync rate is 448kbps according to your stats. We cap the upstream at this speed at the Wholesale level. It can be uncapped by following the instructions under the 'Key' section here.

In reply to a post by dslguru:
Thruput on TBB test is low 6306 d, 371 up.

That does seem low considerign the downstream sync speed. What does a BT Speedtest tell him?

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to