User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tallseabird
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 23:53:02
Print Post

Fibre upgrade

[link to this post]

Looks like I will be able to get fibre in a few months, if I upgrade from PN 20Mb product (with a fixed IP) to Fibre, can I keep my fixed IP?

I get pretty good speeds now, can't think of anything I need more speed for (but it is always nice) and it would be a hassle for me to change IP, so I'm in two minds. I can't find the answer on the PN website
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Sep-11 09:03:57
Print Post

Re: Fibre upgrade

[re: tallseabird] [link to this post]

Yes
Changing products doesn't remove any existing addons.
The connection between you and the exchange will have no effect on the issuing of an IP

Edited by Oldjim (Mon 05-Sep-11 09:04:25)

(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 19:46:14
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

It appears that a change to value fibre does not allow you to keep an existing static IP address - so much for that idea!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Feb-12 20:42:39
Print Post

Yes it does - who said otherwise

Edited by Oldjim (Thu 02-Feb-12 20:43:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 21:02:57
Print Post

But you can't have one as a new FTTC joiner on FV. So anyone wanting one has to join on an ADSL2+ Extra, get the fixed IP address, then upgrade to Fibre.

What sort of sense is that?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:28:53
Print Post

I raised a ticket stating :-

'I am currently on Broadband Extra and have decided to move to Value fibre broadband, I have a fixed IP address. Can you please confirm that I will continue with the same fixed IP address?'

the response was

'I can confirm that you would not be able to keep your static IP address should you migrate to Value Fibre as static IP addresses are not available on our Value products. Should you change to Extra Fibre, you would be able to keep this address.'

I thought about it for a while and decided that that was just plain stupid so I called to cancel my fibre upgrade, I said that as I had already paid for a static IP I expected to be able to keep it but was clearly told that I could not. I was advised that I could upgrade to Extra fibre and I would be able to keep it - the comment that has been put in the call is

'confirm that he cannot keep the static IP if he moved to Value Fibre - confirmed we don't offer static IP on any Value package'

I have said before that I think PN provide a very good BB service but if you have to talk to them it rarely goes well.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:46:29
Print Post

I have asked the question of senior staff as the situation on Value for non fibre products is very clear - you can keep it when moving from an old product which had one (in my case PAYG) to one which doesn't.
However moving between products would probably mean you would lose it.
How this affects a change where you go to fibre I don't know hence the question
So in my case would moving to Value Fibre mean that I would keep or lose the fixed IP.
Not that I am thinking of moving to fibre for two reasons - my speed is fine without it and it isn't available anyway

Edited by Oldjim (Thu 02-Feb-12 22:48:26)

(member) Fri 03-Feb-12 08:41:51
Print Post

I am quite happy with my current 12-13Mb speed - but I have been tempted by the possibility of the new 80/20 speeds that are about to become available.

The fact that I can take my static IP to Extra fibre but not Value fibre sums it all up pretty well!
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Tue 07-Feb-12 16:02:29
Print Post

Hi Jim,

The static IP component is removed by the system automatically as part of the account change, so there's no way to keep it in a move to Value Fibre I'm afraid.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-12 11:19:34
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orbrey:
Hi Jim,

The static IP component is removed by the system automatically as part of the account change, so there's no way to keep it in a move to Value Fibre I'm afraid.

Presumably the system was written and specified by a 3rd party then which is why Plusnet cannot change it to support the ability to keep Static IP on Value Fibre.

If as I suspect the system was written by Plusnet then saying "there's no way" is incorrect. There may be no way in the current system and no desire to change the current system but it is false to say "computer says no" when you are responsible for that application and the decisions it makes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to