User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnny777
(member) Thu 22-Sep-11 23:10:41
Print Post

FTTC installation nightmare

[link to this post]

Ordered FTTC and phone on a line that doesn't currently have Broadband.

BT engineer spent 5 hours today trying to get sync at the cabinet. Apparently, tried 4 ports.......got 32mb sync on a port, asked for a port reset to get 40/10 and it wouldn't sync again.

BT are saying it's Plusnet's fault, but everything at Plusnet looking Green. Installation in house all done, so i've got an Openreach modem and new master socket etc.....just no FTTC.

To say i'm hacked off would be an understatement. Plusnet very helpful.......hope it's gonna be sorted soon. Really can't understand what's gone wrong. Nothing to do with cabinet etc, as the guy a few doors away is getting 37mb.

Edited by johnny777 (Thu 22-Sep-11 23:28:14)

ISP Representative jpilson
(isp) Fri 23-Sep-11 00:09:03
Print Post

Re: FTTC installation nightmare

[re: johnny777] [link to this post]

Hi johnny777,

I'll have a word with our provisioning team in the morning and see what I can find out for you.

Jojo smile

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-Sep-11 00:37:26
Print Post

Either your story is garbled, (I trust it isn't), or you had one of the newbie gormless/half-trained engineers.

If there is no sync between your premises and the FTTC cabinet it is utterly, completely and absolutely a BT Openreach problem. Plusnet are not involved until your traffic is handed over to them by BT Wholesale at one of the WBC nodes.

You have either the Openreach-supplied modem or the engineer's test equipment which is normally a JDSU, trying to sync along a BT Openreach line with a BT Openreach DSLAM in the FTTC cabinet, via a BT Openreach PCP (phone) cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 23-Sep-11 00:38:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-Sep-11 00:43:20
Print Post

[re: jpilson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpilson:
Hi johnny777,

I'll have a word with our provisioning team in the morning and see what I can find out for you.

Jojo smile
Do plusnet do 40/10 now jojo? Initially I believe it was only 40/2.

As for the 32Mbps, we don't know what his estimated speed was. It seems it was an existing line, just required to be moved to WLR with Plusnet, so unless it was LLU there should be a figure.

But as I just replied to the OP, no sync is not Plusnet's fault. Just their problem to get Openreach to fix it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-Sep-11 00:45:23
Print Post

Just another thought.

It reads as though you had a working phone line before. Who was that with, and does it still work? Or is the problem no phone connection?

Standard User johnny777
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 08:15:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

JoJo - thank you. For info, there are a number of tickets following my conversations with your team, but 46890666 is currently open.

Engineer had sync at the cabinet before port was reset - then no sync. He had done about 3 'lift and drops' before this.

I'm sure BT haven't set something up correctly.

Edited by johnny777 (Fri 23-Sep-11 08:15:55)

ISP Representative jpilson
(isp) Fri 23-Sep-11 11:55:14
Print Post

Hi johnny777,

This is being looked into for you now. They'll update the ticket when they get further information.

Jojo smile

Joanne Pilson
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status::RSS::Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User johnny777
(member) Mon 26-Sep-11 16:56:03
Print Post

[re: jpilson] [link to this post]

Finally sorted and getting 29.6meg down and 1.6meg upstream as of today.

Seems that the transfer of my phone line from BT to Plusnet was causing havoc with BT's systems.......something to do with the timing being too close to the fibre provision.

After many phone calls with BT and between BT Wholesale and Plusnet, the whole thing was sorted out by cancelling the phone transfer until after today's completion of the fibre provision.

Luckily, I had a very helpful BT engineer, who even left me his number. Also, people complain about customer service these days, but Plusnet have been excellent......special thanks to Ash, Martin and Stephen. Plusnet have been excellent - it's a true test when things don't go as planned.

Thanks Plusnet.
  Print Thread

Jump to