User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-11 20:53:56
Print Post

This is surely rubbish!!!

[link to this post]

A family friend is a plusnet customer. Her broadband has stopped working so she phoned customer support. She is not technically minded but thinks the information given by the rep was incorrect.

After describing the problem she was told that the password in her router was incorrect, and that she would have to reset her router. Unfortunately she informed the rep that she had recently changed her webmail password. The rep told her that this is why she couldn't connect to the internet anymore. frown

Apparently her router password has changed and as a result her router, (Asus AM604G) can't connect to her local exchange.

I appreciate that routers do go unserviceable, however it seems to me that the information she was given was grossly inaccurate.

She is searching for her router username and password which if she finds I will travel to her and try a different router.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-11 21:04:44
Print Post

Re: This is surely rubbish!!!

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Plusnet can tell her the username and password

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-11 21:07:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I told her to ring back and ask for those details.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Wheel_Nut
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Oct-11 21:09:45
Print Post

I am not a PlusNet customer any more but iirc, the Webmail Password for the primary Postmaster mail account IS the Account Password. You can set up Mailboxes for sub-account mail addresses and use different passwords but I don't believe that the Account Password and Primary Mail account password can be different.

I could be wrong .... so you may be better waiting for Monday morning wisdom.

..........................................................................................................
"When not prompted by vanity, we say little." - La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)

PlusNet BBYW Pro - Lite Customer from Feb 2009
NewNet Customer 2007 - Feb 2009
PlusNet Customer 2003 - Feb 2007
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 02-Oct-11 21:14:15
Print Post

Agree with other replies - she should just try changing the router password to the same as the webmail password (which is the same as the account password) and see if it connects.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Sun 02-Oct-11 21:15:46)

Standard User petervaughan
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Oct-11 21:26:00
Print Post

The router password, portal (plusnet account) password and main email account password are one and the same. Assuming it was the main mailbox password that was changed, this can't be done via the manage my mail or via webmail so she must have changed the main account password, which in turn changes the router and mail account passwords to the same. Your broadband connection does not disconnect on a password change, it is checked the next time the router tries to connect, so initially, after the password change, everything would have worked normally.

If that was what she did then the info given by CS is correct and you need to know the new password to get the internet going again.

- Peter

--
plusnetADSL Plusnet Pro Customer on FTTC trial
Plusnet Usergroup (PUG) Member
| PUG Website | PUG Forums | PUG Issue Tracker | UserTools Website | Service Status by Email | Exchange Checker ]
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-11 21:49:39
Print Post

[re: petervaughan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by petervaughan:
you need to know the new password to get the internet going again.
Do CS know the new password?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-11 22:26:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Apparently so. She said they told her on the phone what her new webmail password was. Another problem is I can't find what the IP address of the Asus router interface is. frown
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-11 22:32:38
Print Post

[re: petervaughan] [link to this post]

She is adamant that all she changed was a webmail password. She has not accessed her account details via the plusnet portal.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Oct-11 22:51:10
Print Post

Changing the webmail password should just change that, the router login password to connect to the internet should still remain the same .... it does with maaf as they are not the same, and of course the router can have another password to enable changes in settings within it's interface.
If it does change all other passwords in the PN setup then it might seem less secure, but then I'm not familiar with the PN set-up tongue smile

Alastair

omadasafisho
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to