User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bossk128
(newbie) Thu 27-Oct-11 13:18:00
Print Post

Check for ADSL2+

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm a new customer for Plusnet and I've a query about my slower sync speeds.

Before my line changed over to Plusnet it was on the previous tenants BT account. My modem/router gave downstream line stats as 25db with a sync speed of approx. 17Mb. Obviously I couldn't use it, it wasn't my service.

As soon as the phone line changed from BT to plusnet, the sync speed has dropped to 8128Kb. Plusnet have told me the same sync speed should be possible (as I expected) but why is the sync speed so low??

My concern is perhaps instead of ADSL2+, maybe my setup is still somehow old style 8meg ADSL? Is this possible and can I check?

I'm using a Billion 7402G on the Didsbury exchange.

Cheers.
Standard User bossk128
(newbie) Thu 27-Oct-11 13:34:51
Print Post

Re: Check for ADSL2+

[re: bossk128] [link to this post]

Aha! Plusnet support confirm I am on ADSL, not ADSL2+. A regrade is in order, within 8 days.

I can't complain at all about the speed and knowledge of their customer service, but why oh why is anybody put on ADSL these days??
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Oct-11 13:36:50
Print Post

Yes you are on ADSL1
I suspect that it was a new connection - not using a MAC code - and will need upgrading to ADSL2
You can either raise a ticket or wait for a rep to pick it up

EDIT - I see you already have

Edited by Oldjim (Thu 27-Oct-11 13:37:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Oct-11 13:38:24
Print Post

You are almost certainly on 20CN ADSL Max. PN should have put you on 21CN WBC ADSL2+. Post your router stats and look for "Mode" with something like G.992.x or ADSLnn.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 27-Oct-11 13:45:18
Print Post

Also confirm that you will be getting the increased upload speeds that come with ADSL2+. By default they are left at ADSL speeds, and require the customer to request the increase.

Those of us stuck on ADSL have to pay £7.00+ for such an increase, and pay as much as those on ADSL2+ for less speed. frown

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Oct-11 00:35:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
PN should have put you on 21CN WBC ADSL2+.

I totally agree with this, It so annoying for new customers who order (currently on BT 21CN ADSL2+) will put on old one first on BT 20CN ADSL1

What if the new customers doesn't know nothing about broadband and probably stuck with BT old ADSL1 for longer term without knowedge of upgrade to ADSL2+.

plusnetADSL2+15 Meg
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Sat 29-Oct-11 22:24:23
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Anyone know why they do it that way?

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Oct-11 11:40:33
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I suspect that this is because migrations are on a like for like basis with any change happening after the migration - whether that is supposed to be automatic or not I don't know.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
ISP Representative mand_beckett
(isp) Sun 30-Oct-11 20:01:42
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

Hi there,

It's dependent on your speed estimate on signup. If it's less than 4Mb we provision on ADSL1 regardless.

This is because at speeds below 4Mb ADSL1 is often more reliable than ADSL2+, and below 2.5Mb you can often get faster speeds on ADSL1.

It's easy enough for us to change to 21CN at any point, and can be done by first line support.

@Jelv, we stopped doing like for like transfers ages ago.

Kind Regards,
Mand Beckett
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Oct-11 15:14:15
Print Post

[re: mand_beckett] [link to this post]

Isn't the 21CN kit backwards compatible?

Jump to