User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bigalxyz123
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 10:43:27
Print Post

PlusNet - Monitoring Usage

[link to this post]

Hello forum,

I signed up for PlusNet broadband recently, and it was activated yesterday. Working fine so far.

The package I have gives me a monthly download allowance of 60GB (with midnight until 8am being unmetered). I don't think I'm likely to breach this, but it's hard to be sure.

Is there a way of monitoring how close I am to this limit?

Thanks,
Alan.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 10:53:45
Print Post

Re: PlusNet - Monitoring Usage

[re: bigalxyz123] [link to this post]

bigalxyz123,

Log-in to your account from the Plusnet web site and you will find details of your data usage there - I believe it is updated every two hours or something like that.
Standard User bigalxyz123
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 10:55:40
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks - why didn't I think of that!

*blushes with embarrassment*

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 11:05:34
Print Post

No problem, the Plusnet site can be tricky to navigate and at times is extremely sluggish - so you are not alone in having difficulties with it smile
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 11:23:47
Print Post

As well as being able to check the usage, as already posted, you will get an email when you hit 80% of the limit. If you want to ensure that you don't automatically get charged an extra £5 for each additional 5GB over your limit, log into your account and set "Maximum extra monthly spend" to zero on this page:

https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 11:54:14
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

kasg,

Is it up to 5GB over the limit, i.e. a few MB over the limit would mean having to pay an extra fiver?

And would setting '"Maximum extra monthly spend" to zero' result in having no internet usage, even to check emails, if one went over the limit?
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 13:00:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
kasg,

Is it up to 5GB over the limit, i.e. a few MB over the limit would mean having to pay an extra fiver?

Yes.
And would setting '"Maximum extra monthly spend" to zero' result in having no internet usage, even to check emails, if one went over the limit?

No, you will still have Internet access, but at greatly reduced speed.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Oct-11 13:10:40
Print Post

I have mine set for zero and usually hit the limit on the last day so suffer the reduced speed.
On one occasion I hit it with a few days to go so I allowed it to charge me for 5GB extra

Edited by Oldjim (Sat 29-Oct-11 13:17:17)

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 13:11:40
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The zero setting might be best left well alone then because the 2 hour delay (?) on usage monitoring could be critical and spending an extra fiver might be better than reduced speed for the rest of the billing period?
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 13:14:41
Print Post

The zero setting might be best left well alone then because the 2 hour delay (?) on usage monitoring could be critical and spending an extra fiver might be better than reduced speed for the rest of the billing period?
Well that rather depends on when you hit the limit! I would always have mine set to zero. I recently found that it had been reset by Plusnet when I changed product and I went over the limit only a couple of hours before the end of my billing period, knowing, or so I thought, that if I hit it it would be no big deal and I would not be charged. Fortunately Plusnet took pity on me and refunded the fiver!

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to