User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Tue 01-Nov-11 22:37:07
Print Post

Is the "price match" real?

[link to this post]

Has anyone actually got anywhere with their "Price Match" policy?

On their website it says

"Our price promise is on Plusnet Value Broadband versus the lowest cost standalone broadband product available from a competitor. It covers the total cost of broadband (subscription + setup costs) over the competitor contract length, up to 24 months."

So when looking for broadband for a friend on a bt only exchange I noticed by are doing 10gb a month for £13 a month with three months free and no setup charge. When I saw the plusnet promise I thought aha maybe they will do theirs for the same price then.

So far I have had;

"The price promise doesn't allow us to change prices just to point you to the most appropiate package"

"Bt's offering does not count as it requires line rental from BT so is not standalone". This is a bizarre excuse since all standalone broadband packages require line rental to BT including Plusnet's.

"If you take our plusnet line rental for £12 a month we might be able to negotiate the broadband price". Now they are just taking the mick, thats £2 a month more than BT to start with and bares no relation to what their price promise says they will do.

At no point could I get anyone to address why I was not getting what the price promise said, they all just avoided the question. So all in all I got nowhere and gave up and suggested my friend just go with BT. Has anyone actually got them to price match other providers? Or is it just a trick to get people to submit to a sales call? Grr, rather a waste of time.

Edited by mnbvcxz (Tue 01-Nov-11 22:43:53)

Standard User mistral
(experienced) Tue 01-Nov-11 23:37:37
Print Post

Re: Is the "price match" real?

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

They probably can price match. However their package probably won't match. eg If i wanted to download 300GB / month and pay £22 they would not be able to offer a solution that would not kill their business model like it did 5 years ago.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Tue 01-Nov-11 23:57:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
"If you take our plusnet line rental for £12 a month we might be able to negotiate the broadband price". Now they are just taking the mick, thats £2 a month more than BT to start with and bares no relation to what their price promise says they will do.
Slightly misleading - BT line rental is £13.90 a month - admittedly you can get it for the equivalent of £10 per month if you pay for 12 months up front.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Nov-11 00:03:56
Print Post

There are some BT Total packages that are only available if you take a bundle of line rental/calls at the same time, i.e. you cannot have WLR via another provider in some cases.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Nov-11 00:22:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
There are some BT Total packages that are only available if you take a bundle of line rental/calls at the same time, i.e. you cannot have WLR via another provider in some cases.
I think all BT broadband packages are now bundled with a BT Call Plan Andrew, ie BT Line Rental is compulsory for new broadband connections. There is a "Broadband" page, but clicking the Choose a broadband package link takes you to this page, with bundles only.

Maybe this can be avoided by telephone signup, but I can't find a way online.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User martinsq
(newbie) Wed 02-Nov-11 01:44:03
Print Post

I certainly did get exact match to BT discounted bundle (value BB, LR and anytime) back in July, including the £10 p.m advance rental, even though I did not have to pay in advance.
The only thing it's for 12 months (not BT's 18 months), but I was told I can ask to continue the deal in 12 mths time.

I was an existing PlusNet customer, but that shouls make no difference.

Hopefully one of PlusNet bods will be here soon to explain themselves....
S
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Wed 02-Nov-11 09:13:15
Print Post

Hi there,

The £13/month BT package you mention isn't standalone broadband, it includes line rental and evening and weekend calls - which is why we don't pricematch. As advertised, the price match is for standalone broadband only rather than a bundled broadband and phone offering.

Yes, line rental does always need to be paid, but you don't need to get phone and broadband from the same provider - hence the price match offer.

Hope that helps explain things,

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Nov-11 10:53:22
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orbrey:
Hi there,

The £13/month BT package you mention isn't standalone broadband, it includes line rental and evening and weekend calls - which is why we don't pricematch. As advertised, the price match is for standalone broadband only rather than a bundled broadband and phone offering.

Yes, line rental does always need to be paid, but you don't need to get phone and broadband from the same provider - hence the price match offer.

Hope that helps explain things,
Close, but nope smile.

It doesn't include the line rental. Just the call package. But as that requires line rental, and as BT do not do line rental without a call package, it's all a bit (deliberately?) confusing.

I would say that it is just a BT requirement that the customer pays BT line rental,which happens to include a call plan, and the £13 is the broadband cost. Period.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Wed 02-Nov-11 11:59:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But it's still a bundled package (i.e. broadband and calls together) as opposed to standalone broadband, hence why it's not something that we would match the price on as part of the promise.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Nov-11 12:03:04
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

In other words a pointless marketing gimmick from Plusnet.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to