User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 02-Nov-11 17:18:10
Print Post

Plusnet E-mail setup link

[link to this post]

Trying to fiddle with mailboxes, aliases etc. Anyone got a simple setup guide, other than the 'manage my mail' overview?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Nov-11 17:34:31
Print Post

Re: Plusnet E-mail setup link

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

This may help http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_explained.shtml but then it may not but I used that and then followed Manage My Mail step by step

Edited by Oldjim (Wed 02-Nov-11 17:38:11)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 02-Nov-11 17:38:36
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Ta, but nope.

Basically I've been getting two e-mails from plusnet everytime they mail me something (account debits, product ads). One to email@domain.com and one to postmaster@username.com

I deleted the postmaster one, and the turned off the catch-all. Lo and behold, I am not getting mail on the domain addy.

I don't want mailboxes, aliases and two e-mails. I want my domain addy only to receive mail from all who send to it. Simples!

Sick of getting two e-mails all the time. Also sick of the portal and its unhelpful manner. How a non-techie manages any of this is beyond me.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 02-Nov-11 17:43:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Ta, but nope.

Basically I've been getting two e-mails from plusnet everytime they mail me something (account debits, product ads). One to email@domain.com and one to postmaster@username.com

I deleted the postmaster one, and the turned off the catch-all. Lo and behold, I am not getting mail on the domain addy.

I don't want mailboxes, aliases and two e-mails. I want my domain addy only to receive mail from all who send to it. Simples!

Sick of getting two e-mails all the time. Also sick of the portal and its unhelpful manner. How a non-techie manages any of this is beyond me.
Do you actually need to retrieve the email sent to postmaster@username.com? I generally don't bother as it's an address I never need to use, so I only see the one sent to the personal domain address address I do want to use.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Wed 02-Nov-11 17:44:29
Print Post

How a non-techie manages any of this is beyond me.
Ah but they are problem customers frown
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Nov-11 17:55:28
Print Post

That is a different problem
You need to go here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=view_details&s=0 and change your email contact detail
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Wed 02-Nov-11 18:51:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
That is a different problem
You need to go here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=view_details&s=0 and change your email contact detail

Agreed. For a while I got two copies of everything and it seemed quite straightforward. When you first contact Plusnet with a view to signup, you obviously give your email address at that time as a contact address. This stays your contact address unless altered even after being allocated a Plusnet email address.
I deleted the postmaster address and just added what I wanted, though Plusnet addresses are out on a limb compared to elsewhere, with the mailbox name added to the front of the full username. Easy to get in a muddle.

http://speed.io/pics/4815/1207/speed.io.png
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!

Edited by m0aur (Wed 02-Nov-11 18:54:10)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 02-Nov-11 19:49:11
Print Post

Ta!

A touch of confusion, as in my details the desired e-mail addy was there. However in the mail setup area, renaming the 'default' address of username@username.plus.com to desired-addy@username.plus.com worked.

Additionally, random-word@username.plus.com does not arrive, and it generates a 550 delivery failure. Excellent!

I wonder if I can get Plusnet's billing systems to test my e-mail setup, just so I know I won't miss any monthly e-mails?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Print Thread

Jump to