User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pbaker38
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:26:23
Print Post

FTTC or Not im confused

[link to this post]

i have just put in my postcode into BT's checker its telling me now that FTTC is avaliable on my line and i could get upto about 37mb. however if i put my phone number in it doesnt say anythign at all.

Is this just a mistake on BTs part or could it be there is fibre there? I have double checked i have put in the right postcode

Regards

Phillip Baker

Edited by pbaker38 (Thu 03-Nov-11 21:59:47)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:29:15
Print Post

Re: 21CN or Not im confused

[re: pbaker38] [link to this post]

It could mean that the area does have it but your specific cab does not - this is not uncommon.

Your postcode may be served by one or more cabs.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:34:03
Print Post

[re: pbaker38] [link to this post]

Think you are slightly confused as 21CN is used for ADSL2+ and has nothing to do with FTTC.

PlusNet ADSL2+
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 17:42:24
Print Post

[re: cajef] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cajef:
Think you are slightly confused as 21CN is used for ADSL2+ and has nothing to do with FTTC.

Apparently, the BT 21st Century Network (21CN) is designed to provide an enhanced broadband experience in comparison to that which was previously available with BT and LLU operator SMPF (single metallic path) services. Part of the 21CN rollout is a service known as Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC). Delivered across BT’s Next Generation Network this service offers connectivity based on VDSL2 technology, providing higher line rates of up to 40Mbit/s downstream and a choice of either 2Mbit/s or 10Mbit/s upstream. This is achieved by running fibre to the local BT street cabinet where the MSAN (Multi-service access node) is located. Placing the MSAN into the street cabinet which is connected by fibre to the BT 21NC exchange, as apposed to delivering a broadband service over copper from the local premise to the exchange means the service is not as susceptible to the bandwidth “slow down” created by the noise from copper running over longer distances.

Source Fibre to the Cabinet
Standard User pbaker38
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 22:00:38
Print Post

[re: cajef] [link to this post]

sorry i meant to be put in fttc but put 21cn by accident. it appears theres a mistake on bt's part and its not correct

Regards

Phillip Baker
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Nov-11 22:32:44
Print Post

Re: FTTC or Not im confused

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Ummm. I'm not too sure about Daisy's explanation tongue.

The BT 21st Century Network (21CN) is designed to provide an enhanced broadband experience in comparison to that which was previously available with BT and LLU operator SMPF (single metallic path) services.
BT's 21CN network is an integrated phone and data network using TCP/IP and eliminating ATM from the backhaul services. In particular, it is designed to work with and through SMPF, not to replace it.
Part of the 21CN rollout is a service known as Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC).
Sort of, but only "sort of".
Delivered across BT’s Next Generation Network this (FTTC) service offers connectivity based on VDSL2 technology, ...
That's where the "sort of" comes in. FTTC is part of Next Generation Access, rather than "delivered across" it. Nor does FTTC have any need whatsoever of BT's 21CN network, though the BT Wholesale WBC/WBMC/IPSC products (which most ISPs use) do go through it. TalkTalk FTTC does not.
...VDSL2 technology, providing higher line rates of up to 40Mbit/s downstream and a choice of either 2Mbit/s or 10Mbit/s upstream. This is achieved by running fibre to the local BT street cabinet where the MSAN (Multi-service access node) is located. Placing the MSAN into the street cabinet which is connected by fibre to the BT 21NC exchange, as aopposed to delivering a broadband service over copper from the local premise to the exchange means the service is not as susceptible to the bandwidth “slow down” created by the noise from copper running over longer distances.

Source Fibre to the Cabinet
That bit is fair enough. I'm not sure FTTC cabinets contain MSANs though, I believe they are DSLAMs.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 03-Nov-11 22:42:39)

Print Thread

Jump to