User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bsanotrun
(regular) Wed 09-Nov-11 23:20:55
Print Post

upload speed

[link to this post]

Plusnet for some reason cap the upload speed on ADSL2+ to 448Kb but will uncap this if you ask,
i seem to remember reading that a higher upload has a negative effect on your download speed. is this correct?
i dont have a great connection as it is, so dont wish to lose any of my download speed.

DSL Type:G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,092 / 5,580<<
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:443 / 5,837

The other question, why is the Maximum Bandwidth shown often less then the Bandwidth,
thomson tg585v8 router.

thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Nov-11 23:54:00
Print Post

Re: upload speed

[re: bsanotrun] [link to this post]

You've probably picked up two or three points about upload affecting download, but in general it doesn't.

The two cases where I know it can are:

- for people on ISPs who allow Annex M for upload connections. Annex M allows up to 2.5Mbps upload compared to Annex A, (the default in the UK), which only allows around 1.3Mbps to 1.4Mbps. On medium to long lines Annex M can cause a fall in downstream connection speed.

- people doing P2P downloads with too many open streams. This can choke the upload with too high a volume of ACKnowledgements. As broadly speaking the downloading server of a stream will wait for the ACKs before sending the next load, clogging the upstream with these for a lot of streams will cause a waits/slowdowns in the download. Think of how traffic on a crowded motorway can slow to a halt even when there is no actual blockage, and imposing a 50mph can in fact get everyone through more quickly as it prevents that. (Queuing theory smile). That's what happens to the upstream with too many streams. But! If you double the upstream sync rate, that's the equivalent of doubling the number of lanes on the motorway. So where this effect is concerned, increasing the upstream sync helps rather than hinders.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Thu 10-Nov-11 00:16:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by bsanotrun:
i seem to remember reading that a higher upload has a negative effect on your download speed. is this correct?

Plusnet warn you about this when you put in a request for them to uncap your upload.
But I didn't really notice a significant difference in download when they uncapped mine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wagstaff

"You can't be optimistic if you have a misty optic."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 10-Nov-11 00:49:36
Print Post

I tried the 832K add-on for a couple of days (still on ADSLmax).

Two speedtests showing the two speeds:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Sorry about the time difference between the two. I generally delete speedtests from my profile, but kept those two for other reasons.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Nov-11 08:56:19
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

Sounds like a briefing has entered the call centre phrase bank but not for the totally right reasons.

Two lines at house, one ADSL (448) another ADSL2+ 850Kbps. Downstream is only ever affected if I saturate the upstream with packets and is the same effect on both.

Annex M is the only time you eat into downstream sync speed for more upstream speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Nov-11 10:26:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The only reason why I would be concerned about uncapping the upstream is that it makes the line unstable (it might on mine where when the phone rings it sometimes causes a resync due to too many upstream errors and that is with a 24dB upstream noise margin) and the exchange ups the downstream noise margin or worse still caps the line or during the resync the phone ringing drops the downstream margin a bit and hence get a lower sync speed
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Nov-11 10:55:23
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
The only reason why I would be concerned about uncapping the upstream is that it makes the line unstable (it might on mine where when the phone rings it sometimes causes a resync due to too many upstream errors and that is with a 24dB upstream noise margin) and the exchange ups the downstream noise margin or worse still caps the line or during the resync the phone ringing drops the downstream margin a bit and hence get a lower sync speed
That sounds more like an unusually poor or even faulty line. The phone ringing should never cause the broadband to fail, quite independent of the connection speeds.

In this case it seems to be on the margin at low speed and bad at high speed, but I suggest quite untypical, in fact rare.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Thu 10-Nov-11 12:16:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sounds like a briefing has entered the call centre phrase bank but not for the totally right reasons.

Plusnet: "Please note that by uncapping the upload speed there is no guarantee that the upload speed will increase, in fact it could go down."

Does that make sense, Andrew?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wagstaff

"You can't be optimistic if you have a misty optic."
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Nov-11 12:39:20
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

Sounds like utter garbage smile.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Nov-11 13:38:10
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

(it might on mine where when the phone rings it sometimes causes a resync due to too many upstream errors and that is with a 24dB upstream noise margin)

Have Plusnet tried to get that issue corrected so it doesn't interfere with the router sync to the exchange?

Alastair

omadasafisho
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to